Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: War In Heaven Reviews---!!!Spoilers!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:19 pm 
Master Pilot

WAR IN HEAVEN BY DAVID ZINDELL
(Review by Nick Gevers, Ph.D., Cape Town, South Africa)

With War in Heaven (1998), David Zindell has concluded one of the most extraordinary narratives in SF history. What makes the Neverness Quartet (as one might dub War in Heaven and its three predecessors) so remarkable is that it is, simultaneously, an admirably ambitious, luminously poetic work of philosophical space opera and an interminable religiose wallow. When Zindell is creatively inspired, he is one of SF’s paragons; when his attention preachily wanders, the result is a shambles. Rarely has a major SF series been so rewarding – or so dismaying.

The explanation for this paradox may lie in Zindell’s ultimate source of inspiration. But first, in introduction: Neverness (1988) initiated a future history of intense complexity: thousands of years from now, the mystical Academy in the city Neverness supplies starship pilots and ingenious savants to a galaxy populous with humanity; the narrator, Mallory Ringess, is a great pilot whose quest for the secret of godhood leads him among cosmic deities and serene primitives. Neverness is an expansive, shrewd, colourful reworking of earlier genre material, boasting gnomic chapter epigraphs out of Frank Herbert, aliens a la Silverberg, stylistic exuberance after Delany, exoticism according to Vance. This alluring and allusive formula continues in the ‘A Requiem for Homo Sapiens’, the successor trilogy composed of The Broken God (1993), The Wild (1995), and War in Heaven; here, Mallory’s son, Danlo, must solve the enigmas of life and transcendence as he trains as a pilot in Neverness, journeys countless light years to persuade star-killing fanatics to see reason, and finally returns to Neverness to prevent his soul brother from corrupting all life and destroying the universe. Concerns of genuine import are at stake; the narrative delivers a rich succession of densely told confrontations, trials, and epiphanies. Characterizations are strong; settings resonate with history and with myth.
The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/20/02 4:25:39 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: War In Heaven Reviews---!!!Spoilers!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:25 pm 
Master Pilot

War in Heaven by David Zindell
(HarperCollins Voyager, £6.99, 791 pages, paperback; published 15 February 1999.)

I'm suffering from that perennial ailment of reviewing whereby you inevitably end up having to read only the final part of any trilogy. Although a big old-fashioned infodump would have been nice at times, I was fortunate this time that if you're prepared to live with a few holes in your understanding of events and background then there's nothing to really spoil your enjoyment (just like reality!).

Book Three of A Requiem for Homo Sapiens, which itself follows Zindell's first novel, Neverness, War in Heaven is able to stand by itself. Although it didn't make me necessarily want to snap up Books One and Two, I'm certainly intending to read Neverness.

The story is huge and complicated: suffice to say that Danlo wi Soli Ringess is returning as an ambassador to the world he grew up on and left behind, hoping to stop a cataclysmic war between a new religion (called "Ringism" and based upon the teachings of his father, a now absent god) and an ancient secular academy. This is all counter-pointed by vague warnings of a war between supremely advanced galactic entities, generally recognised as gods, of whom we frustratingly hear nothing but interstellar gossip.

Most of the book's events in fact take place on a surprisingly low-tech level, given the wonders Zindell sometimes off-handedly refers to, but he's concerned with examining the gap between technological and primitive Man. It's a small gap, apparently, with the wonders of technology nothing but window dressing to our fundamental nature.

It took me a long time to warm to Danlo, and much suffering on his part.

He isn't a particularly interesting character; his tendency to preface everything he says with "I… ", and his bleating pacifism really began to irritate very quickly.

However, with a bit of patience you can rest assured that such idiosyncrasies aren't just a substitute for real depth. Similarly, try and tolerate Danlo's worst excesses of shamanistic nonsense and his pain and grief seems quite frighteningly genuine.

It's been a long time since I sympathised with a character as I eventually did for Danlo. Which, compared with my initial dislike for him, makes me think Zindell is a clever fellow indeed.

If David Zindell were ever to bump into Greg Egan down the pub then I'd love to be there, if only to pick up the pieces afterwards. The two of them are absolute diametric opposites. A one on one prize fight between Zindell's humanist pastoral SF vision and the relentless hard extrapolation of Egan would be something to see. Egan is one of the bravest SF writers we have; however Zindell is also, in his own way, very nearly his equal.

Zindell's writing does have many similarities to that of Olaf Stapledon though, in that a great deal of War in Heaven is a spiritual quest after the meaning of the universe and the role of life therein, with science and technology mostly as background. The difference between the two of them lies, I think, in their different nationalities (Zindell is an American). The narrators of Stapledon's cosmic voyages were very English, detached observers of a universe indifferent to life, whereas War in Heaven owes a sizeable debt to the 19th century American Transcendentalist poet Walt Whitman. Danlo is very much "down and dirty", wrestling with pure physical reality, eating raw bear meat, empathising with the spirit of bears, relishing the great outdoors, all that kind of thing. I was actually surprised to find that Whitman wasn't quoted in any of the chapter headings since the Bhagvad Gita and the Bible, both favourites of his, are.

Danlo's narrative voice is the main similarity to Whitman, not least (and as you'd expect) when Danlo is undergoing his revelations as to the nature of life, the universe and everything. The message being, no matter how cynical you are (and I'm pretty cynical), a hopeful one based upon some reasonably elementary physics applied to "Life" on a cosmic scale. Danlo spends many pages realising this. Importantly he doesn't preach his conclusions though; we tag along as he realises them, which was a crucial difference for me.

I got a lot out of this book, which is not quite the same as saying that I loved it, but almost as high praise. The fact that there's even a moon-sized supercomputer which I just couldn't help but visualise as the Death Star edges War In Heaven up from a B+ to an A.

Review by Stuart Carter.
The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:52 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, Danlo I started reading this book today! Ddidn't have much time to get much reading in, but so far it looks very promising! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/30/03 4:59 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:12 am 
Lady Scryer

They've returned to Neverness -- and it doesn't even seem to be the same place! The College and the order are so different -- and under control by that madman Hanu. And they're destroying two of the six moons to make that supercomputer. What does Hanu really want that thing for? Does he want to cark himself into it to become a god?? Devil more likely in his case! (shudder). Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/30/03 5:00 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:52 pm 
Master Pilot

Now--if u can't c what's wrong or solve the mystery in the intro 2 Pelablinka, science and technology 4rum--I don't kno what 2 tell u... (p.s. I tought Carter's review was totaly outstanding, especially 4 some1 who had not read the other books--if he had @least read The Broken God he would have, initially, understood and sympathized w/Danlo...) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/30/03 5:01 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:38 pm 
Lady Scryer

Danlo is a wonderful character, and I think at least The Broken God would have given him a much better understanding of him! To understand Hanu, of course, you'd have to read The Wild...what an awful man!
It does show what a great character Danlo is that someone who didn't like him very much came to like him a lot by the end of the book. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/30/03 5:03 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:44 am 
Master Pilot

Again Danlo is a very complex character...xtremly stong, both mentally and psyhically, but terribly sensistive and introspective at the same time! I find it odd that while he clings 2 Hanu and Tamara so dearly-he is willing 2, 4 the most part, 2 let his father go...But then again he's never met his father (or has he?)...With Li Tosh it may b that he represents Danlo's darkside. As his "soul-brother" he may b Danlo's Yang or evil twin "Skippy". However, Danlo's unending loyalty 2 the Lady Tamara is heroic, quite romantic and very endearing. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/30/03 5:04 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

I got to the torture scene just before bedtime last night.
I don't ever recommend reading that right before bedtime! It causes nightmares!!: Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/30/03 5:07 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

Good God!!! How much can one person take before breaking???????? Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:29 pm 
Lady Scryer

Ha! Just finished, it was great!!! Everything after Danlo meets Tamara was a complete surprise to me (even with your hints about Mallory). I would definately recommend this series to anyone!

As to the beginning of the tech forum, I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. Icefall has six moons, two of which Hanu tried to destroy to make his supercomputer. And the word Blinka is applied to supernovas by the Alaloi?? Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/30/03 5:09 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:54 am 
Master Pilot

Cool! Glad u liked it! Yes Danlo takes quite a beating! The "Timex" Pilot! Takes a lickin and keeps on ticking! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/30/03 5:10 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

Danlo is completely and totally cool!
I really did enjoy this series, and I would have never known that it even existed without you, so must now say THANKS!!! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/2/04 3:48 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:14 am 
Master Pilot

I don't know how to begin discussing these books. The rape of Tamara's mind, Danlo's torture, and...

I'm not at all sure how I managed to read Jonathan's death. I literally don't. Since Danny was born, I've been unable to watch lots of movies that even suggest someone losing their son. And now that I have two daughters, that takes care of another bunch of movies. As much as the death of the Unhomed hurts, it's not personal. Jonathan's death is so personal that I can't stand it, and I'm astounded that I actually read it through.

Overjoyed when Tamara remembranced the One Memory, and got hers back!!! My god seeing her dancing around naked again was GLORIOUS!! And I'm not meaning that in a dirty way. At least not entirely! It was just knowing that she was back, that she was happy, that their love was raging again!!

I had NO idea that Old Father was Mallory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And finally, at the very end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Quote:And then at last, Ahira answered him. While Bardo sat completely still like a huge, black, frozen rock and Danlo's heart beat as quickly as any bird's, a great, male owl swooped down out of the moon-silvered darkness and soared over the icy sea. His cry was high and harsh and urgent with life, and he took no notice of the two men waiting on the snow-covered sands below, but only flew straight toward his mate at the edge of the beach. He landed softly on the branch beside her. And then the two owls turned to gaze upon each other, and as mirrors reflecting the light of mirrors, their great, golden-orange eyes shined with their fierce love for each other.AAAAHHHH!!!! We learn the meaning of our existence from Ahira!

Quote:Upon seeing a warrior-poet of two red rings ready to protect Danlo, the godlings lowered their lasers.LOL Sounds like a good plan!

Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:58 pm 
Lady Scryer

What happened to Jonathan was so painful, I have never been able to talk about it. No parent, real or fictional, should ever have to endure something like that. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:22 am 
Master Pilot

Indeed, duchess!

Hey, anybody know about Hinduism? Every Upanishad ends with OM shanti shanti shanti. Shanti literally means "Peace," and is defined as "the inner peace that one attains through the spiritual knowledge that one is not the mortal body but rather imperishable consciousness" or "the peace that passeth understanding."

Zindell also quotes the famous Hindu saying, tat tvam asi at least a couple times. That thou art. Here's a couple definitions:
Brahman
-"the irreducible ground of existence, the essence of every thing - of the earth and sun and all creatures, of gods and human beings, of every power of life."
-"the eternal, imperishable Absolute; the supreme nondual reality of Vedanta; Brahman is a concept that has no equivalent in the religions of dualism, all of which feature a personal God."

Atman
-"the real or true Self."
-"the real immortal self of human beings."

The kick is, atman is identical to brahman. A little piece of the All is the true Self of all of us. BUT, that little piece is not other than the All. It is as infinite, as total. That thou art. "That" is brahman. "Thou" is atman. You are brahman. "The Self in each person is not different from the Godhead."

NOW, think about all of Danlo's wisdom. Here's a reminder, from his final enlightenment, when he was still paralyzed, after he had been "in" the Universal Computer, and had refused Hanuman (in the form of Jonathan):Quote:And here was the deepest marvel of this One light: he was only an infinitessimal part of it, melting into it with a perfect joy, and yet he was the whole of it, too. His whole being cried out in completion and utter triumph, for all memory was his, all matter, all space, all time.And how many times did Danlo tell us that the memory of all things is in all things?

(And to continue with Hinduism for a second, understanding this, understanding it completely, through direct experience, is the hope of every Hindu, and the goal of the different types of yoga (not all of which are at all physical). Only when complete union of atman and brahman has been achieved, only when you experience your oneness with brahman (and this is where the words turiya, samadhi, and moksha come in), does the fire of knowledge burn to ashes all karma," and you are free from the cycle of birth and death, joined with brahman forever. Everybody go read the Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita! ) ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>