[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - The Lord of Lies-Book II of the Ea Cycle

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Lord of Lies-Book II of the Ea Cycle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:07 pm 
Master Pilot

Just learned that the second (full) book of the Ea Cycle: The Lord of Lies was released in the UK last month--you can order thru amazon/uk. I can find np date for a scheduled US release...here is their synopsis:

Quote:The Lord of Lies is the story of the Dark Angel's swift and terrible revenge against Valashu Elahad. Death and destruction surround the Lightstone in the second book of this magnificent and deeply moving fantasy epic. Valashu Elahad only regained the Lightstone in Argattha when he realized that his purpose was to guard the treasure of his ancestors so that he could pass it to the enlightened one, the Maitreya, who would lead them back to the stars. At the time he understood that the mysterious powers of the Lightstone were not his to use. But perhaps it would have been wise to seek the enlightened one before undertaking his quest for the Lightstone. Now he has it, Morjin knows where it is, and he will use all his talents to get it back. Val's victory in Argattha was only the beginning of a war with Morjin. His brothers and his father King Shamesh march out to do battle with the armies of the Dark Angel. Val alone must protect the sacred vessel won by his courage and purity of vision. But his bright sword Alakaladur cannot prevail against the treasonous plots and betrayal by those closest to him, evidence of Morjin's power to destroy him and take the Lightstone *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: Ea
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:04 am 
Pilot

Hey Danlo, i am a bit worried about reading the Ea books, tell me, is it neverness in a fantasy setting? Or is it an original effort of merit? I've heard a lot of the characters are similar? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Ea
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:18 am 
Pilot

The book is now out in mass market paperback and in my bookstore? Has anyone read Lord of Lies? I am interested in reading it, but had some mixed feelings regarding the previous book. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:35 pm 
Pilot

Well, now I have bought Lord of Lies. I'm going to start reading it the right next thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:42 pm 
Pilot

I just finished Lord of Lies...
Hard core ending...

Can't wait for the next book. I may complain that it's similar to Neverness, but @#%$ it's a good series <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:10 pm 
Pilot

Reporting from page 227. So far I'm liking Lord of Lies more than the Lightstone. It seems to be paced better, or else my tolerance for detailed prose has grown in the interim as I have matured or my English reading speed has grown (it is my second language after all).

I'm liking the book a lot but I'm worried that Zindell is being predictable again in some respects (which I won't reveal for fear of spoiling others). I have read a heap of fantasy in my life and I'm not sure how clear the patterns are to someone who hasn't.

I can't wait for the ending, but you'll have to wait until after Easter to find out if I was floored by it too like several other people. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:11 pm 
Pilot

I have now read the whole thing and am back at my computer to report of it. It was an amazing experience. For a long time things were going along a fairly predictable overall course, like reading Robert Jordan except non-sucky, and then a PLUNGE! Needless to say, I love the ending. The only negative thing I can say about that is that I had been expecting in vain a dramatic twist like that already in the first book. I have noticed Zindell is a fan of creating a false sense of security and that is again confirmed.

I hope the event I'm referring to was a watershed and the tone of the books will from now on be different. I think some Donaldson in place of Jordanistic elements would be nice. It would be only a moderate exaggeration to say Ea Cycle has been thus far happy happy joy joy stuff compared to the other non-humor fantasy books I usually spend money on. I like dark stuff. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:50 pm 
Master Pilot

Good to know! I just got to the initial Morjin dream in Lightstone-I love this book-but yes the feasting and such was beginning to get a little old so the dream plus the intro of the great character, Atara, was a very cool break. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:59 pm 
Pilot

Comparing the Ea Cycle to what Zindell said in that interview about the Requiem, I think Zindell is again making every book in the series different sub-genre. The Lightstone would be typical follow-the-breadcrumbs-around-the-world Quest Fantasy (I even detected some things that seemed very much like Eddings influences!) while Lord of Lies centered more on stuff like diplomacy, and still managed to be more interesting than its predecessor. Valashu was in places a clear parallel to Jordan's Rand al'Thor, but thankfully that doesn't go as far as it might.

Now that both early and late Wheel of Time have been handled the question remains what style the next books will be. I expect one will be a war book but I have no idea about the other. <i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:43 am 
Lady Scryer

I am just finishing up my reread of Lord of Lies today.

Man, those ending few chapters are brutal on the reader. :shock: Even though I knew what was coming, it was still very brutal. :shock:

You know, I love this series.

The Lightstone:
learn how to trust your friends and keep moving in the face of difficulty, danger, and grief onwards into triumph

Lord of Lies
learn how one of the most dangerous things in the world can be self-deception and trying to be what other people want you to be rather than what and who you really are - and on the way traveling from the most elevated heights to the lowest depths imaginable

Black Jade
when your life has been turned into complete crap (see above) how to find a way to pick yourself up and pull yourself back together again - a journey through the depths of depression back into hope and the light

Diamond Warriors
we will see in a month! 8)

Image Image Image