Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: the little things
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:00 am 
Master Pilot

I like Zindell's choices of words. Just little things like naming one of the Transcended Ones Aesir, which is what the Viking gods called themselves. Or a planet named Sahasrara, which, in kundalini yoga, is the seventh chakra, the one that is actually outside the body, above the head.

I also love the names of the gods. Solid State Entity, Chimene, the Degula Trinity, the Silicon God, the April Colonial Intelligence, Pure Mind, Iamme, Maralah... I don't know if any of the uncommon ones have meanings, but they're all great anyway. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

Post subject: Re: the little things
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:24 pm 
Master Pilot

I might add Kalinda of the Flowers, Nth-Generation and AL Squared. The names of the lightships are SO cool too: Immanent Carnation, The Sword of Shiva, Cardinal Virture and of course the Snowy Owl (Ahira!), what was the name of Soli's ship? Me fergits... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:33 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah, I think that's cool, too. I'm constantly running across Zindellian names years after finishing his books. It's caused me to read up on things I would probably have otherwise been oblivious to ("eddas" for example). I didn't realize "Hanuman" was a character from Hindu mythology, when I was reading Broken God. I ran across "Ashtoreth" somewhere recently, too - I think it was Egyptian.

Hey, does anyone know if Zindell made up the name "Agathange" by any chance? ******************

To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice ...<i>Edited by: AlphSeeker  at: 2/17/04 9:35 am
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:21 pm 
Master Pilot

I think he did, I love the planets too: Icefall, LeCroix, Agathane, Darkmoon, Simoon, Yarkona and Altimuth Bridge are some of my favorites...

Here's a trivia question, I've asked it in these threads b4: What is the name of the Warrior-Poets' base-planet? *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:47 am 
Master Pilot

Qallar. (But I just finished WIH two days ago. )

And as I've mentioned before, I like the planet Wakanda, named after the kingdom of the Black Panther in Marvel Comics.

Heh. Yeah, I should have mentioned Hanuman in what I said about Hinduism on my other post. Completely slipped my mind!

The names of the pilots are also great! My favorites are the "the"s, particularly the Sonderval (awesome name, annoying character ) and the Richardess. ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:39 am 
Lady Scryer

When I was looking through my son's mythology encyclopedia, in an effort to try to help my husband figure out certain things in the later Matrix movies, I ran across Hanuman...
He is the god of monkeys, the patron of learning, and the son of the wind god, Vayu. He assists Rama rescue Rama's wife Sita from demons...

Quote:Hanuman was said to be as large as a mountain, with yellow skin, a red face and a tremendously long tail. His roar was like thunder, and he flew through the clouds with a great rushing sound. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>