Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: This is why no 1 knows about Neverness:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 6:06 am 
Master Pilot

For some reason alot of folks in New Zealand and Australia know about Neverness and the book is very popular in France under the title of Inexistence. Fortunately, Neverness is beginning 2 enjoy immense popularity in the UK because Voyager Classics has issued a large # of copies and it got a great write up in The London Times, but this just happened VERY recently. In the US almost NO ONE knows about this book!!! I blame Bantam-Spectrum 4 3 reasons: A very low # of copies in the initial printing, no reprinting and very bad follow up. I believe Bantam REALLY dropped the ball on promoting this book, thus depriving the Sci-Fi world of 1 of the BEST books EVER written in the genre. They did a little better with The Broken God which is probably y every1 I encounter in real life or on the Internet, a VERY small # btw, who has ever read Zindell has read The Broken God and never heard of Neverness. Neverness is the book that started it all--yes The Broken God is a classic in and of itself--but u can't understand the it's Universe and what everything REALLY means unless u read Neverness 1st! I have gone 2 5 new bookstores in NM, 3 in NYC and 1 in Florida and I have never seen Neverness! I've seen a fairly good amt. of The Wild (which should have been called The Vild, btw Bantam!) and War in Heaven but no Neverness OR The Broken God. I've been 2 about 20 used book stores and only 1 had copies of either! 1 copy of Neverness, which I bought, and 3 copies of The Broken God. Now u might say well that's not so bad mayb they'll reissue it--well look @ it this way: Neverness was 1st published in 1988!!--what r they waiting 4? Thank God I stumbled in2 a weird-ass coffee shop in '96 and found it buried behind a couple of very shoddy books! 1 look @ it, w/o even reading it mind u, and it was love @ 1st sight. I am on a personal crusade 2 xpand the VERY small cult following of these books in the US! I leave reviews in lots of other Sci-Fi/Fantasy websites--I wrote a review on AllSciFi.com, hasn't been approved yet but my David Brin review has (?), I have faith that this forum and interest in Zindell's work will grow! Heck, I told my massuse about this website today and she said her daughter just loves The Broken God but (OF COURSE) she's never heard of Neverness and didn't kno any 1 else who has read The Broken God. I'm going 2 start a serious movement--I'm going 2 turn every1 on 2 these books--and Bantam-Spectrum is about 2 get a very heavy-duty letter form me! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/13/02 5:18:37 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: This is why no 1 knows about Neverness:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:58 am 
Pilot

I had read "Neverness" years ago,but wanted to reread it and the rest of the series. Found it in an obscure used paperback store. I could not find it or others in: Barnes& Nobles, Borders etc. But I found various editions of them used and new CHEAP!! at www.half.com. Ordered the other 3, recommend it for hard to find scifi. <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:00 am 
Master Pilot

Good job rowgs! Let that b a lesson 2 all of u! the search is not ez but it is well worth it! Knowing a little of the way u think I know The Broken God is ur type of book and as an artist u'll fall in love w/The Wild! KEEP THE FAITH! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:10 pm 
Master Pilot

I also saw Neverness at a bookstore; didnt get it, it looked too long. Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:32 am 
Master Pilot

pfft!! .. LOL!!!

they should really ban all really long books LOL .. hehe .. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:55 pm 
Master Pilot

You shall Neverness by the time I'm done w/u!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:21 am 
Master Pilot

done with who?????

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:58 am 
Master Pilot

U silly!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:00 am 
Master Pilot

its on my .. 'to do' .. list health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:12 am 
Master Pilot

Well, I ordered Neverness from alibris.com and have been reading it the last few days, sporadically, but enthusiastically. I gotta say, so far (chapter 5 or so), I'm impressed. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:21 am 
Master Pilot

awesome! Enjoy Syl! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 10:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

They ARE hard to find, but well worth the search. I got Neverness used from Amazon, the the other three books new from Amazon. The book I can't seem to track down is the first book of the EA Cycle.
I might try a British online bookstore...two of the three Danlo books were imported from England for me from Amazon. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:02 am 
Pilot

yeah - you should use amazon.co.uk - the postage is quite reasonable and they have all zindells books. Oh and the covers of the English versions are much nice. I reckon thats another reason zindell isn't so well known. The US covers make it looks like cheap pulp fiction sf where the Uk ones are much more subtle. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Hi butterfly-welcome 2 the Hangar! I take it u've read Neverness and mayb the rest of Requiem? If so I'm really looking 4ward 2 seeing u again and discussing the books! As u may have gathered from the Lightstone thread I have not read it yet. I've heard VERY mixed reviews...either people really like it of hate it. The general consensus I get is that if 1 has read the 4 Sci-Fi books 1st the Lightstone is basically the same thing remixed in2 a Fantasy form. I personally like the US Neverness cover and the US War in Heaven cover but find The Broken God 2 b atrociuos...

Looking 4ward 2 ur posts in the future! (I take it u might b from the UK? ) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:04 am 
Pilot

Hey Danlo,
Yeah I've read all the requiem books and loved them - although I'm not sure "War in Heaven" quite lived up to the anticipation for me.

As for the ea cycle - there was no comparism for me. When I first read "The broken God" - the first requiem book I read - I was just astounded - I'd be stopping every few pages just to think thru what I'd just read. With the lightstone I'd be stopping because I got a bit bored. I mean its readable enough but it lacks the tension and the great ideas of Zindells sf books. Maybe it will pick up and I'll definately be reading the next ones just because its Zindell and I know he is capable of more.

Still its nothing compared to the comparism between the dune books and the new ones written by Brian Herbert which are a cruel star wars/dragonlance style watering down of the originals.

I'm actually from Australia - but we get most of our books from UK publishers and I'm living in Tokyo now. I spent some time in Canada and the US though and was suprised/dissappointed that Zindell books were rarely to be found in the sf section.

good site btw. <i></i>