Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: past Zindell Quotes used in our header
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 2:43 pm 
Master Pilot

5-1: Before you are wise, after you wise, In between you are otherwise-Osho the Fool (The Broken God) 6-1: We are the light inside light that fuses into the atoms of our bodies; we are the fire that whirls across the stellar deeps and dances all things into being (Neverness) 7-1: Each man and woman is a star. The stars are the children of God alone in the night; The stars are the wild white seeds burning inside a woman; The stars are the fires that women light inside men; The stars are the eyes of all the Old Ones who have lived and died--Who can hold the light of the wild stars? Gazing at the bright black sky, You see only yourself looking for yourself, When you look into the eyes of God, They go on and on forever--from the Devaki Song of Life (The Wild) How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/27/02 4:43:22 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: past Zindell Quotes used in our header
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:11 pm 
Master Pilot

7-18: When man took to his bed the Computer, there was great rejoicing, and great fear too, for their children were almost like gods. The mainbrains bestrode the galaxy at will, and changed its very face. The Silicon God, The Solid State Entity, Al Squared, Enth Generation - their names are many. And there were the Carked and Symbionts, whose daughters were the Neurosingers, Warrior-Poets, the Neurologicians and the Pilots of the Order of Mystic Mathematicians. Horthy Hosthoh (Neverness) 8-15: The way for humankind is not back after all. There is no return to simplicity this way. No true halla. I used to think of halla as a kind of perfect harmony of flowers and sunlight and good clean life and death out on the sparkling snow. A perfect balance that life might somdeay achieve - without war, without disease, without madness, without asteroids and wild stars that can annihilate ten thousand species of animals almost overnight. But no. The universe is not made this way. True halla is the vastening of life. The deepening into new forms and possibilities that we call evolution.

The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/15/02 5:37:32 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:53 pm 
Master Pilot

9-9:He tried to explain that the great changes rippling through his being had little to do with mysticism, in the sense of being magical or mystifying. "Truly, it is just pure technology, yes? This is what technology is: just consciousness reflected upon itself, gaining ever more control of itself and creating new forms." 9-13:Always, life supplied life to itself and grew ever vaster and more complex. Living things created burrows beneath the snow and songs sailing out to the stars; they made lightships and honey, pearls and poems and computers that generated entire universes of their own kind of life. Life swirled and pulsed and blazed in terribly beautiful patterns across the stellar deeps. The sun and the moons spun ecstatically with life's wild fire, and the photons danced along the rivers of light that streamed from star to star. Life, like and infinite flower, opened everywhere out into the universe, and into all possible universes, touching all matter, all space, all time with its perfect golden petals and sweet fragrance. And it all grew deeper and deeper, and brighter and brighter like a star swelling to an impossible brilliance that could have no limit or end.

The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 9/12/02 7:13:49 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:55 pm 
Master Pilot

10-20: "This is what we should strive for, Danlo: the heightening of our sensibilities, the rarefying of our desire, the deepening of our purpose, the vastening of our selves. The power to overcome ourselves. To be more. Or rather, to become more. Who hasn't dreamed of such becoming?"
10-24: If I could find courage, I wondered, what would I see? Would I be ashamed of the arrangement of my programs - of my very self - beyond my control? Ah, but what if I could write new metaprograms, controlling this arrangement of programs? Then I might one day attain the uniqueness and value I found so lacking in myself and the rest of my race; as an artist composes a tone poem, I could create myself and call into being wonderful new programs which had never existed within the rippling tides of the universe. Then I would be free at last, and the flame would burn like star fire; then I would be something new, as new to myself as the morning sun is to a newborn child.
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/24/02 12:57:49 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:06 pm 
Master Pilot

A David Zindell Thanksgiving treat: While awaiting the decision of the Transcendent Ones of Alumit Bridge, Danlo was given a small apartment on the city's seventeenth level, overlooking a huge and busy street called Elidi Boulevard. As he would soon discover, of course, it was actually no smaller than any other apartment in Iviunir; like Scutari nymphs in their feeding boxes, the Narain required little living space. His five rooms were tiny, separated from one another by thin walls of white plastic: there was a bathing room where he might cleanse his body, a multrum barely large enough to allow squatting and voiding oneself of wastes, a facing cell almost the same size, a sleeping chamber, and---barbarically---a kitchen. **Danlo had always regarded the private consumption of food to be a shameful and barbaric thing, but the Narain lived according to different sensibilities. They preferred convenience to company; it was their way to voice their immediate hungers to their ministrant robots, to wait silently a few seconds while these semisentient machines lit the ovens in the kitchen, and then to recline on soft white carpets of spun plastic in their chambers, there to swallow their meals of tasteless factory foods in solitude. It was a bad way to live, but then, as Isas Lel had warned Danlo, the Narain preferred to let their robots live for them.-from The Field, chapter 13 of The Wild
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:19 am 
Master Pilot

I love the wallpaper here .. looks like neverness .. but you cant read the directory of threads page real well .. :( health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:52 am 
Master Pilot

12-13-02: It was said that I looked enough like the Lord Pilot to be mistaken for his brother - or son. All my life I had endured the slander. My mother, so all the gossips prattled, had long ago fallen in love with the great Soli. When he had spurned her in favour of my Aunt Justine - this is the lie they tell - she had searched the back streets of the Farsider's Quarter for a man, any man, who looked enough like him to father her son. To father me. Mallory the bastard - so the novices at Borja had whispered behind my back, and some of them, the bolder few, to my face. At least they had until the Timekeeper taught me the ancient arts of wrestling and boxing.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>