[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Concerts (any kind- rock, blues, jazz, classical, rap, etc)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: concerts - any kind - rock, rap, jazz, classical, etc.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:24 am 
Lady Scryer

What happens when you take fourteen of the world's best jazz musicians and have them play one of the world's greatest pieces of jazz music in front of an enthusiastic crowd of thousands?

You have a night of firey music and joy, when hearing and watching the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra playing John Coltrane's classic jazz symphony in four movements, A Love Supreme.

What a great night it was, to hear searing hot jazz, wonderfully played, something to always remember! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:44 am 
Lady Scryer

HTML Comments are not allowed ******************************************************

<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 4/1/06 11:05 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:04 pm 
Lady Scryer

Went to a great jazz concert last night from the SF Jazz Collective. That is a west coast super group, made up of superb musicians who are also all composers. Each year they pick out a jazz great to play tribute to. This year, and this concert, featured the music of Herbie Hancock. The concert was a nice mixture of Hancock music with original compositions by the eight members of the group. Great stuff, played by master musicians. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:43 pm 
Lady Scryer

Last night we went to hear one of my favorite rock groups, Pearl Jam at the Palace.

I got the tickets a couple of weeks ago, but did not tell the kids. So last night we told the kids we were going out, but refused to tell them where. They whined a lot. When we got off at the Palce exit, we told them we were going to biggest clown convention in the world being held at the Palace (my older son has a terrible fear of clowns). That freaked them out!!!! Then they saw the big sign saying "Pearl Jam in concert" and they were very happy.

Yeah, I am a mean person, and I sometimes play tricks on people. hee hee hee

Pearl Jam is very good in concert. They have a lot of energy and fire. For this concert, they played a lot of music from their new release, Pearl Jam, mixed in with occasional old treasures like Jeremy. It was very enjoyable.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:37 am 
Lady Scryer

O Man! Take heed!
What says the deep midnight?
"I slept, I slept,
from a dream I have awoken:-
the world is deep,
and more deeply pondered than the day.
Deep is its pain-,
Joy - deeper still than heartache.
Pain says: Pass away!
But all joy seeks eternity
- seeks deep, deep eternity!"

Went to a fantastic concert tonight with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra under the baton of guest conductor James Conlon, soloist Birgitta Svendon (who has a rich and glorious voice, and whom I would love to hear sing some jazz someday), the UMS Choral Union, and the Ann Arbor Youth Chorale.

They performed Mahler's Third SYmphony.

They did a fantastic job with it.

I am blissed out now. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:20 am 
Lady Scryer

Talk about being blissed out.

Went to another Detroit Symphony Orchestra concert tonight. They were just great! They had a guest pianist named Lang Lang who played two pieces, accompanied by the orchestra, and they played Beethoven's Fidelio Overture and his Seventh Symphony.

Lang Lang kicked ass. He played Chopin's Andante Spianato et Grande Polonaise and Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini. He played with fire and passion, and his style and the orchestra's melded together perfectly. He got a ten minute standing ovation when he was finished with his second piece. And he is only 23 years old! ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France

On last Tuesday night, Calibaby and I went to a concert given by the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor. Image

This is the first time, to my knowledge, that we have ever attended a concert that was being recorded live - of any genre.

I do not know if they can use the tapes, though - they were recording in Michigan in March, so there were sick people a plenty in the audience, and therefore a lot of coughing, sneezing, and throat clearing. Hopefully they can edit the crowd sound out? Image

The first half of the concert was a piece of music I have never heard before - and it was a lot of fun! It was Ravel's Mother Goose Suite, a ballet based on some famous fairy tales. I especially enjoyed the music to Tom Thumb, with its twittering birds! The oriental flavors of the Laideronette music were also very pleasant and unexpected.

The second half of the program was Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, and the orchestra played it much better than the CD that I have of it. I especially loved the second movement, with its dance rhythms - and the brass played magnificently in the fourth and fifth movements. They had this ginormous brass instrument I have never seen before in the back row next to the two tuba players. I had to call Fisty to ask him if he knows what it might have been and he thought it might have been this:

Anyway, the orchestra was great, the musical selections were unusual and a lot of fun, and I am very glad that I got to hear them. :D 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:47 am 
Lady Scryer

Last weekend Calibaby and I went to a concert given by the Canadian Brass. Image It was great! They played a great mixture of classical and jazz. :) They did a great job with Carmen - both playing the music and acting otu scenes. The tuba player dressed as the bull was hilarious. 8)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

A couple of nights ago, Calibaby and Mr. Sunshine and I went to see a Broadway stage version of The Who's Tommy. Image

While I realize that it might not be considered a concert per se, the music was fantastic, and we had a lot of fun! Image

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:28 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

Bach's Great Mass was glorious last night; I wish some of you Bach fans could have been there with me to hear it. They played on period instruments, which is always interesting - and the singing was angelic. 8) 8) 8)

If this group happens to tour near where you live - jump at the chance to go hear them! Image

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:39 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
A few weeks ago Hyperception and I went to see Manheim Steamroller.
They were OK, but I think I'll only see them again for a Chr-stmas themed show.

This past Wednesday night we saw Blue Man Group's Megastar tour. I went in expecting a show of just the trio...

Nuh-uh.
It was a full fledged rock concert, and it was awesome. The band they had with them was TIGHT, and BMG themselves were just amazing.

I can't watch these myself on my connection, but I hope they give a decent representation of what the concert was like Wednesday night.

...wishing I could find a decent video of BMG's cover of Pink Floyd's One of these days...that was totally awesome as well...

And then Sunday night will be Elton John. 8)

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:43 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next