[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Concerts (any kind- rock, blues, jazz, classical, rap, etc)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:59 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:30 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Concerts (any kind- rock, blues, jazz, classical, rap, etc)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:12 am 
Lady Scryer

Last night Calibaby and I went to hear Bobby McFerrin, Chick Corea,
and Jack DeJohnette in concert in Ann Arbor.

Bobby McFerrin has an amazing vocal range. :shock: He can go from bass to well up into the usual women's ranges. :shock: The program said he can stretch four octives. 8)

Chick Corea, of course, is a renowned jazz pianist. :piano:

John DeJohnette is a god of percussion. :cloud:

Together they were just...amazing. Awesome. Extraordinary! :o Ninety minutes of 100% improv, with those three jazz geniuses...playing. As in having a lot of fun with their music and with each other and with the audience. At times all three of them were scat singing, and bringing in the audience to scat sing along with them. And at times Corea played drums along with DeJohnette, and at times McFerrin played four handed piano with Corea.

In the end, after their first encore, they came out again and took questions from the audience. How cool is that? :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:05 am 
The Timekeeper

I guess a live musical would count here-I'm sure you know Ain't Misbehavin' is a revue based around Fats Waller's ragtime WWII era jazz and lyrics. Man what great songs including: the title, of course, Yo' Feets Too Big, The Viper (about smokin' reefer, shhh, hide the kids) and This Joint is Jumping. Close to 1hr 45mins of, almost, constant singing for a 5 member cast. How they can remember all those words is beyond me. Great band led by Peter Montana on ragtime piano with trumpet, trombone, drums, sax and spin bass-loads of fun. "One never knows, do one?"

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:45 am 
Lady Scryer

Calibaby and I drove to Detroit tonight to hear the Detroit Symphony Orchestra under the baton of guest conductor Mark Wigglesworth performing Mahler's Ninth Symphony.

WOW, was it ever wonderful to hear that music live! :sky: It was glorious, simply glorious! :cloud:

The DSO is just awe inspiring whenever they play Mahler. They just pound their talent, hearts, and souls into it. :cloud:

I peaked at their schedule for next year, and they will be performing Mahler's First under the baton of their new maestro. :mrgreen: Raucus swaggering badass brass. :drool: I'm already all over it. :drool:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:28 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Hyperception heard early yesterday that tickets toThe Police concert two hours away in Orlando last night were still available. So, we decided to go at the last minute...

We got home about 1:30 am, and I crashed right out. So here is how it went.

Openging act was...Elvis Costello.
I am not a fan.
When Hyperception finally told me that as we were looking for parking, I nearly balked.
But...we got to our seats five minutes before he took the stage.

So...OK...
I'll admit it.
He is much better live than on anything from the studio of his I have heard. Not that I had heard all that much...

I don't know his music to tell you what he played. But he put on a solid tight show for a full hour. Sting came out at about the 40 minute mark and joined him on one song. All I know of the lyrics is "My aim is true." Don't know if that is the title. But, they sounded great together.

After Elvis Costello finished, it took the roadies about 15 minutes, and the lights went down. The Police then took the stage. Andy Summers has aged. Sting was as hot as ever, in his older way. But, Stewart Copeland looked exactly the same to me, except he wore his glasses on stage. I also found myself watching Copeland more than the other two. I never realized how good he actually is.

Set list...

First Set:
Bring on the night
Message in a bottle
Walking on the moon
Demolition Man
Voices inside my head
When the world is running down
Don't stand so close to me
Driven to tears
Hole in my life
Every little thing (she does)
Wrapped around your finger (Stewart Copeland, was simply amazing on this)
Doo-doo-doo
Invisable Sun
I can't stand loosing
(Sting's comment right before launching into I can't stand loosing: ''This is not Miami. This is not Tampa. This is not Millening Pensacola. This IS ORLANDO! We last played here about '93. But I remember our first gig here, in Disney.')

*end of first set*
3 minutes cheering to call them back

Second set:
Roxanne
King of pain
So lonely ('Welcome to the Stewart Copeland show,' said at one point in the lyrics)
Every breath you take (90 minute mark)

*end of second set*
3 minute break

Encore
All I want is to be next to you

And then came to the front of the stage to take a bow together, and said good night.

*soft smile*
I'm glad we went. It was awesome.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:40 pm 
Lady Scryer

Sounds great. 8)

I like Elvis Costello's jazz stuff a helluva lot better than his rock stuff. :?

And it soudns liek the Police were just great. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:04 am 
Master Pilot

Menolly, I'm happy that you enjoyed the Police concert. I am jealous beyond words. I've never had the opportunity to see the Police live. Elvis Costello - meh. His music isn't important to me.

Duchess, happy to hear that the Detroit Symphony delivered a worthy Mahler's 9th. I've not heard the piece live myself (it was really my own fault for missing out on it, but never mind).

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:23 pm 
The Timekeeper

I guess this qualifies as a concert: I just recieved Jazz Masters (series) from NetFlix today featuring Billy Cobham which I plan to watch in two hours-I've seen Billy live with the Mahavishnu Orchestra 5 times so I already know how damm good he is live (on tape :P ).

I dig most of Elvis Costello's stuff, so pooh on y'all! 8) I really love the "spanish" album he did with Burt Bacarach.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:26 pm 
Master Pilot

I went to see Matchbox Twenty in concert in Wembley arena London about a month back they rock.I dont know if ye guys are familiar with them :?: Their lead singer Rob Thomas did a song with Santana a few years back(Smooth)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:17 pm 
Master Pilot

Wpg Folkfest kicks off today! This evening, to be exact. Unfortunately, it looks like this year's festival will see rain, unlike last year's perfect weather. I just hope it won't turn the site into a mudbowl. I love the music, but I don't care for the mud.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:33 pm 

Who all are in the lineup, MM?

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:26 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, Menolly, I could spend the time to type it all up, but it's better for both of us if I just give you a link:

http://www.winnipegfolkfestival.ca/wp/f ... erformers/

What I like is that in addition to the Main Stage, there are 4 smaller stages around. So I could walk around and listen to the more intimate performances during the day, then sit back for the main evening concerts. (Nope, I'm not the dancing type.) :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:06 pm 

Wow! That is some line up. Let me know how Ray Davies is without the Kinks, if you see him. I only saw the Kinks once, and my mother's death is tied into my memories of that concert, so it will be good to hear of another show by him.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:31 am 
Master Pilot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next