Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Concerts (any kind- rock, blues, jazz, classical, rap, etc)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:20 pm 
Lady Scryer

Braved the terrible heat (am still exhausted from it) and went to an outdoor concert last night featuring Los Lonely Boys and Carlos Santana.

Had a great time, other than the heat. It was well up in the 90's and very humid, and most of the people in the crowd were at least half naked. It was either a sell-out or so close to make no difference, and we were packed into the lawn like sardines. Luckily the people right behind me were dancing wildly quite often as the night went on, and they kept splashing me with ice cold beer. It felt very good.

The opening act was a band called the Salvador Santana Band. They were alright. They combined sort of a Latino rock with rap.

Then came Los Lonely Boys, and they were great. The two guys on guitar were awesome.

Then came Santana, and what can you say? He played a mixture of his newer hits like Maria, Maria and Smooth, as well as some of his old classic hits like Black Magic Woman.

The best part, which made me laugh from sheer happiness, was when he had Los Lonely Boys come out and join his band, along with the keyboard player from the Doors. They kind of all jammed for awhile, then started playing the opening movement from John Coltrane's jazz symphony A Love Supreme, which is one of my favorite jazz pieces.

We got home at one in the morning (we live to the southwest of Detroit - Pine Knob is to the north of Detroit, and about a two hour drive) and found out that, thanks to a passing storm, all of the electricity had been knocked out to our area. Luckily, I keep a maglight in my Jeep. I went on to bed while my husband set up the generator for the refrigerator. But since we have a well with an electric pump, I had to wait until this morning to wash off the sweat, beer in my hair, and the variety of ashes I got covered with at the concert.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Last edited by Duchess of Malfi on Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Concerts (any kind- rock, blues, jazz, classical, rap, e
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:21 am 
Master Pilot

I've been collecting live concerts of Morrissey and the Smiths. So far I have:

Smiths: Live in Paris '84 and Live in Oxford '85 ("A Kind of Loving" )

Morrissey:Live at Earls Court, Live in Germany '91, Live in Manchester (DVD).

Great great stuff. "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 7/14/05 6:22 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Concerts (any kind- rock, blues, jazz, classical, rap, e
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:29 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, tomorrow, if the weather is OK, we will be heading down to Toledo to see something called the Pink Floyd Laser Light Spectactular. I think its lasers and foreworks and stuff synchronized to Pink Floyd music. Hopefully it will be fun! I know the kids area really looking forward to it!

One of my favorite live performances on video/audio was on the Led Zeppelin dvd set called How the West was Won. They have some acoustic concert footage from Earl's Court that is just fantastic. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:36 pm 
Master Pilot

duchess,

Ah the PF light show was here in Boston about 4 months ago, I should have seen it! Tell us how it is. <i></i>

Post subject: concerts -- any kind!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:45 pm 
Lady Scryer

It was good.

The first half was mostly music from Dark Side of the Moon. Part of it was played with scenes from Wizard of Oz. I have always wondered about "The Dark Side of the Rainbow" theory, and from what they showed, it really does work.

The second half was mostly music from The Wall, though the best done piece as far as the laser affects goes was probably Learning to Fly.

The laser affects were pretty intense in places. About half of the crowd took off their 3-D glasses after awhile, including my olser son and myself. It was just too much. The other half, such as my younger son and Calibaby seemed to have no problems. It was still really cool (and didn't seem to be so much of a fever dream) even without the 3-D glasses.

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: concerts -- any kind!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:02 am 
Master Pilot

Ah sounds like a lot of fun! "If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:48 am 
Pilot

Hey guys hows it going, long time no posty.
still havent read any of the new zindell stuff yet, life catches up with ya etc
Went to interpol the night before last at the student union hall, was @#%$ brilliant.
Didnt know what they would be like live but they did themselves proud, all the best songs plus they played NYC, was brilliant got very drunk and tried chatting up some american birds. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: hello
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:56 pm 
Master Pilot

General Haig,

Interpol is a great band. -----------------
"If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:08 am 
Pilot

They are indeed!
Speaking of smiths, there was a brilliant smiths tribute band called the salford lads club here in new zealand, played their last show in april or may this year, they were fantastic. The singer even looked a bit like morrissey and they used to get a florist in to dress up the stage with tonnes of flowers. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:11 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow, sounds cool! How did they do imitating Morrissey's voice, and Johnny Marr's guitar sound? I imagine it'd be very difficult. The Smiths have a very distinct sound. -----------------
"If we lived in a State where virtue was profitable, common sense would make us good, and greed would make us saintly. And we'd live like animals or angels in the happy land that needs no heroes. But since in fact we see that avarice, anger, envy, pride, sloth, lust, and stupidity commonly profit far beyond humility, chastity, fortitude, justice and thought, and have to choose, to be human at all...why then perhaps we must stand fast a little - even at the risk of being heroes." - Sir Thomas More, "A Man For All Seasons," by Robert Bolt<i></i>

Post subject: concerts - any kind - rock, rap, jazz, classical, etc.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:20 pm 
Lady Scryer

Quote:GREEN DAY LYRICS

"Wake Me Up When September Ends"

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
wake me up when september ends

like my fathers come to pass
seven years has gone so fast

here comes the rain again
falling from the stars
drenched in my pain again
becoming who we are

as my memory rests
but never forgets what I lost

summer has come and passed
the innocent can never last

ring out the bells again
like we did when spring began

here comes the rain again
falling from the stars
drenched in my pain again
becoming who we are

as my memory rests
but never forgets what I lost

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last

like my father's come to pass
twenty years has gone so fast

Last night we drove up to Auburn Hills to go to the Green Day concert at the Palace. The opening act was called Jimmy Eat World, and they were pretty good!

Of course, the kids love Green Day, and this was their first rock concert! They had a wonderful time, all smiles. They did say after it was over, though, that they were glad we had seats high up, as the Mosh Pit freaked them both out. As did the people (possibly inebriated) out in the parking lot who jumped on top of a minivan and were yelling that it was time for everyone to get out of their cars and join them in a huge group streaking. Needless to say, we drove right on without stopping to see if those particular American idiots found anyone to run naked with them.

I also enjoyed the concert -- Green Day has had some very good songs over the years -- and it added a special poignancy to the concert to hear Wake Me Up When September Ends, a song written in tribute to the heros of 9/11/2001, on September 11. It's probably selfish on my part -- but I am so glad we will now have a good and happy memory to go on such a tragic date!! It was also very cool when Green Day covered some old classic blues songs.

Quote:GREEN DAY LYRICS

"Boulevard Of Broken Dreams"

I walk a lonely road
The only one that I have ever known
Don't know where it goes
But it's home to me and I walk alone

I walk this empty street
On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Where the city sleeps
and I'm the only one and I walk alone

I walk alone
I walk alone

I walk alone
I walk a...

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
'Til then I walk alone

Ah-ah, Ah-ah, Ah-ah, Aaah-ah,
Ah-ah, Ah-ah, Ah-ah

I'm walking down the line
That divides me somewhere in my mind
On the border line
Of the edge and where I walk alone

Read between the lines
What's f'd up and everything's alright
Check my vital signs
To know I'm still alive and I walk alone

I walk alone
I walk alone

I walk alone
I walk a...

'Til then I walk alone

Ah-ah, Ah-ah, Ah-ah, Aaah-ah
Ah-ah, Ah-ah

I walk alone
I walk a...

I walk this empty street
On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Where the city sleeps
And I'm the only one and I walk a...

'Til then I walk alone...

Quote:Artist: Green Day Lyrics Song: Time Of Your Life Lyrics

Another turning point;
a fork stuck in the road.

Time grabs you by the wrist;
directs you where to go.

So make the best of this test
and don't ask why.

It's not a question
but a lesson learned in time.

It's something unpredictable
but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.

So take the photographs
and still frames in your mind.

Hang it on a shelf
In good health and good time.

Tattoos of memories
and dead skin on trial.

For what it's worth,
it was worth all the while.

(music break)

<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 9/12/05 8:22 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: concerts - any kind - rock, rap, jazz, classical, etc.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

I went to hear the jazz great Sonny Rollins in concert last night at the acoustically perfect Hill Auditorium and the concert was interesting. He was showing every one of his 75 years and then some. He has a slender man, with a bit if a hunch, and a white beard. He seemed either reserved or perhaps shy. Often he played with his back to the audience. Sometimes when he played he was completely hunchbacked. He reminded me of the Southwestern god Kokopelli (other than Rollins playing a saxophone rather than a flute). His quintet consisted of very talented musicians, and he was often content to let them play while he got a bit of rest. So there was this little old man -- and when he played he was breathtaking in his power and talent! Holy cow! Like with the Dave Brubeck concert last year, I feel both very lucky and very privaleged to hear such living legends. I hope that when I am in my 80's like Brubeck, or 75 like Rollins, I can still be doing what makes me happy. I hope that I can bring such breath taking beauty into the lives of others!

<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:16 pm 
Lady Scryer

I went to Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor Saturday night and heard Pat Metheny and his trio and quartet. He is a very gifted guitar player , and he even played one number on a sitar. I have never heard a sitar used in jazz before, but it added a great sound. It was a very good, and fun concert.

The trio was played on guitar, bass, and drums. The quartet added a tenor sax.

<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi at: 10/28/05 10:15 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:23 am 
Lady Scryer

I think I've finally calmed down enough to talk semi-coherently about the U2 concert.

It was the second Detroit concert -- the first one was on Monday, the second one (the one I went to ) was on Tuesday (Oct. 25). The concerts were at the Palace of Auburn Hills, which is to the north of Detroit. It's about 1 1/2 - 2 hours from where I live depending on how crazy the freeway traffic is. Well, if there were no cars at all, maybe an hour, but that hardly ever happens.

Just driving up there was fun. The local radio station which was sposoring the concerts had the pre-concert-concert. They were playing only U2 music, and were interviewing all of these fans who had gone to the Monday concert on the air. They were all very enthused, and said that Bono was great at interacting with the fans. They were all talking about how he pulled a woman (they all said she had a very curvy butt ) up on stage with him for one of the slower songs, and slow danced with her for the whole song while he was singing.

Got to the Palace about half an hour early, and was glad that they checked purses and had everyone hold open their coats, but didn't actually pat everyone down like they did for the Green Day concert back in September. They also did the security checks inside, as opposed to at the door like with Green Day. That was most welcome, as it was a chilly night and looked like rain.

The opening act came on right at 7:30, like the tickets said. I was sitting behind the stage, and never did catch the name. They did some covers of some songs I did recognize, like Bush's Machinehead. Usually I enjoy the opening act, but that night I just seethed with impatience. I just wanted them off the stage so I could hear my favorite band of all
time!

They finally finished, and the roadies came out to set up for U2 (who eventually came out abour 8:50PM). It was a circular stage (which is why they were able to open up the whole stadium for seating). There was also an elevated circular track of sorts that came off of the stage and did a loop through the general admission crowd.

It turned out that the edges of the track and stage were equipped with different colors of lights. There were also strings of giant beads, like curtains, that they raised and lowered during different parts of the show for lighting special effects, which could also be used as screens. Very unique and very cool! There were also regular large screens, split into four, with a close up view of each band member throughout the show.

Bono and Edge in particular did come out on the track and interact with the fans. Bono also came to the back side of the stage for some songs, to sing to those of us seated behind the stage. He didn't do any slow dancing the second night, but he did go around the track and the edges of the stage and reached out and touched the hands of the fans. He had a very pleasing stage presence. He was quietly confident without being swaggering or arrogant. I guess you could say that he was quiet and commanding -he had the air of someone who has been doing something and doing it well for a long time, and still enjoys it.

the songs:
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
Gloria
The Ocean
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
In A Little While
Beautiful Day
a medley of Beatles songs
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
No Regrets
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Get Up Stand Up
Bullet the Blue Sky
Miss Saravejo
Pride (In the Name of Love)
Where the Streets Have No Name
One
MLK

for the first encore:
The First Time
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
With or Without You

for the second encore:
Crumbs from your Table
Bad
People Have the Power

One very touching moment was when the band dedicated a song to the recently passed Rosa Parks.

On the way home the radio station had the post-concert-concert. So we got to listen to U2 songs and fellow concert goers all the way home. The band did play some different songs on the two different Detroit nights, according to fans lucky enough to attend both shows. On the first night, Bono reportedly tried to sing Ole Man River but couldn't get his voice low enough, and everyone (including Bono and the rest of the band) got a good chuckle from that.

Getting to hear U2 live was a dream come true for me.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:59 am 
Lady Scryer

Joy! Glad joy!
Joy, beautiful spark of the gods,
Daughter of Elysium,
We approach fire-drunk,
Heavenly One, your shrine.
Your magic reunites
What custom sternly divides;
All people become brothers
Where your gentle wing alights.

Ahhhhhh.

Got to go hear the Detroit Symphony Orchestra under the baton of guest conductor Rafael Fruhbeck de Burgos and the University Musical Society Chorus and soloists Maesha Brueggergosman (soprano), Robynne Redmon (mezzo-soprano), Marcus Haddock (tenor), and Eric Owens (bass) perform what to me is the ultimate piece of music in the history of the Earth -- Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.

Ahhhhhhh.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!

Be embraced ye millions!
This kiss for the whole world!
Brothers, beyond the star-canopy
Must a loving Father dwell.
Be embraced,
This kiss for the whole world!
Joy, beautiful spark of the gods,
Daughter of Elysium,
Joy, beautiful spark of the gods. ******************************************************

<i></i>