[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Concerts (any kind- rock, blues, jazz, classical, rap, etc)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Concerts (any kind- rock, blues, jazz, classical, rap, etc)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:55 pm 
Lady Scryer

I do not know if this counts as a concert or not, but they had this guy come out during one of the intermissions during the hockey game at Joe Louis last night and he sang this song. I do not usually listen to top 40 country stuff, so am not familiar with ths singer...

This song is one that Taras would approve of. :wink:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:36 pm 
Master Pilot

Last night's opening concert of Winnipeg Folkfest was fabulous. Normally it's a four-day event, but yesterday was an extra because Elvis Costello could play that night. I didn't know his music too well, but I was glad I went, because he absolutely rocked the place. He even gave a 40-minute encore. I was very impressed! The night's opening act, the Lovell Sisters, a wonderful (and HAWT!) female bluegrass trio from Georgia, also joined Elvis for a couple of numbers. When they let people crowd close to the stage, I happened to be there already, so luckily I got a good view of Costello's performance. Heh, my eardrums didn't suffer too much (I don't think). A most memorable night of music-making.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:39 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:17 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, Folkfest 2009 has come and gone. Aside from some rough spots, overall it was another fantastic marathon of good music. Got home around midnight; this was the first time I stayed right to the end. There were many good performers, plenty of new discoveries for me.

Steven Page, Arlo Guthrie and Loreena McKennitt headlined the closing concert. McKennitt actually replaced k.d. lang, who withdrew from the festival due to some family medical problem. That suited me fine, since I love McKennitt's music but had never seen her live before. Steven Page didn't really interest me, so I skipped his set - besides, it gave me time for supper. (Folkfest has excellent food vendors.) Arlo Guthrie doesn't do it for me either, but the Guthrie name is like royalty in folk music so I felt obliged to check him out. Well, his songs didn't win me over, but his chats in between songs did: Arlo sure tells great stories. I enjoyed his funny account of his first day at Woodstock. Also liked his insights into songwriting, especially when he humourously (and humbly) compared himself to Bob Dylan. Great stuff. We could've just listened to Arlo talk for the whole evening. Musically, McKennitt was for me the highlight of the night. That said, she wasn't the most spontaneous of personalities - unlike, say, Guthrie. Same could be said of her concert performance. It was very polished...but maybe a tad too polished.

Anyway, I feel the true "folk" heart of the festival is in the daytime shows, when I can wander around the different mini-stages, or just plant my butt at one and see the different acts that come through. There's a sense of closer connection to performers on these smaller stages. The dilemma is that there are always interesting acts I miss completely, simply because I can't be at every venue at once.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:26 pm 
Lady Scryer

Wow. McKennitt has an amazing, ethereal voice. 8) Must have been amazing to get to hear her in concert. :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:15 am 
Master Pilot

Definitely. McKennitt's voice is one of the most distinctive I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
I am so freaking excited.
Beorn's first full-fledged-all-out-with-amazing-light-show concert.
TSO in Orlando tonight!

I must remember to bring ear plugs for Paul and Beorn to dampen the sound.
Me, I'll take full throttle please.

Here are some videos to get hyped up!

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:21 am 
Lady Scryer

I bet you guys will hav a wonderful time, Menolly! 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:29 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:49 pm 

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:39 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:57 pm 

~Avatar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:39 pm 
Master Pilot

going to see TSO on the 30th this month, looking forward to it!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:47 pm 

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!

~Avatar