[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Todd Rundgren

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Todd Rundgren
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:23 am 
Master Pilot

Well King I just HAD 2 start this thread after u talked about him in Tolkien. I'll try 2 b brief 2 begin w/. I REALLY like Todd Rundgren's Utopia--that's the name of the group as well as the album--My 2 fav CDs (albums is SUCH an old fart term!) by TR, just under his name, r A Wizard A True Star and Something/Anything. He can almost sound like Marvin Gaye (the MASTER) in "Saw the Light" and does a fantastic version of "The Cool Jerk". My personal fav TR tune is "The Zen Archer"--ok (King) "back 2 u Chet" (another obscure old fart US saying! ). I'm gone How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/18/02 7:44:27 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Todd Rundgren
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:30 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Todd's music was the best in the first 5 albums (IMHO). He played nearly all the instruments (and sometimes ALL the instruments) as well as doing his own backup singing.
His best and most memorable album was (as Danlo mentioned) <i> Something Anything</i>, a 2-record set with Todd playing all the instruments on 3 sides. It includes the old Nazz song "Hello, It's Me" that's become a staple on FM radio.
I really love the ballads on the second album, ( <i> Runt, the Ballad of Todd Rundgren</i>) that had that gorgeous "The Wailing Wall".
<i> A Wizard a True Star</i> has some of his best work in producing. "Cool Jerk" is done in 5/4 time which is something drummers live for, and he masters it with the greatest of ease.
The first LP was a little disappointing to me ( Runt) though it had 2 great tunes: "We Gotta Get You a Woman" and an instrumental that became the theme for the David Letterman Show.
After <i> Todd</i>, his 5th album, I never heard a great album from Todd though every now and then, he would churn a super single.
He produced the best Badfinger album (again IMO) Straight Up and revived Grand Funk's career with his song selection and producing.
Todd has never been as appreciated as he deserves.</b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:17 pm 
Master Pilot

I just saw a Rundgren title the otherday that I completely 4got about, but what a great song!!: Can We Still Be Friends? The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:23 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Super song, Danlo! I especially like the parts of the song in which he changes from 4/4 to 3/4, and the parts sound so haunting. Truly a wizard, a true star! </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:14 am 
Master Pilot

Just happened on this topic - TR is also one of my favs...

I absolutly love "Singring & the Glass Guitar" off the Ra album (I'm an old fart to Danlo). The Instrumental parts as the travelers search the 4 corners of the earth for Singring are totally awesome! I like Can we still be friends &others, but Singring is my alltime favorite TR tune. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 2:48 am 
Master Pilot

**old farts having a beer in seedy jazz lounge** Todd rocks man!! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:52 am 
Master Pilot

Ominous do u guys know that song?

:ominous: "sure boss! 1, 2...1, 2, 3, 4!"

CAN WE STILL BE FRIENDS
(Todd Rundgren)

We can't play this game anymore
But can we still be friends
Things just can't go on like before

We had something to learn
Now it's time for the wheel to turn
Grains of sand one by one
Before you know it it's all gone

Let's admit we made a mistake
Heartbreak's never easy to take
It's a strange sad affair
Sometimes seems like we just don't care
Don't waste time feeling hurt
We've been through hell together

Where do we go from here

We can't play this game anymore

We awoke from our dream
Things are not what they always seem
Memories linger on
It's like a sweet, sad, old song

Where do we go from here
Where do we go from here

I can't play this game anymore
Can we still be friends
I just wanna be friends
I just wanna be, wanna be, wanna be
And now I just wanna be friends
We had something to learn, something to learn
Now can we still be friends

And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:01 am 
Master Pilot

Zen Archer Lyrics

Pretty bird with feathers falling
Pretty as a lady calling
For her pink and midnight lover
As she stares into the water

And a yellow moon is rising
And there can't be no disguising
That the pretty bird is dying
With a silver arrow lying at its side

Rivers of blood,
oceans of tears,
life without death,
and death without reason

To the whole United Nations,
To your greatest expectations
To the moment that you realize
As a dark figure slips from out of the shadow

Pretty bird closes its eyes, pretty bird dies
Another pretty thing dead on the end of the shaft
Of the Zen Archer

A man in parts forgotten
With an outlook that is rotten
And an attitude to match it
Finds relief inside a hatchet
And he halved someone in Boulder
Justifiability is in the hands of the beholder
And you just don't know what people will do next

Mountains of pain,
valleys of love,
death without life,
and life without meaning

To the promise kept and broken
To the love that's never spoken
Just as surely as I'm in your ears
A dark figure slips from out of the shadow

Pretty bird closes its eyes, pretty bird dies
Another pretty thing dead on the end of the shaft
Of the Zen Archer

Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:31 am 
The Timekeeper

The essense of cool, breaking all the borders, the essence of life and deism

and

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:35 pm 
bridgeburner

i'm a toddhead! :D i've seen him about three times i think. something/anything came out when i was in middle school. i've been a todd fan ever since. here's one of my favorites:

A million old soldiers will fade away
But a dream goes on forever
I'm left standing here, I've got nothing to say
All is silent within my dream

A thousand true loves will live and die
But a dream lives on forever
The days and the years will go streaking by
But the time has stopped in my dream

We all have our everyday hopes and fears
And you'll find no exception in me
But that doesn't get me through a sea of tears
Over life's biggest tragedy