Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Music
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:15 am 
Master Pilot

The computereze shorthand I use is derived from the way Ottmar Liebert titles his songs and the way he writes on his CD liners and website: www.lunanegra.com Ottmar, like Donaldson, Fred Saberhagen, George R.R. Martin, Jack Vance, Walter Jon Williams and I, lives in New Mexico--more specifically: in the beautiful city of Santa Fe that was also the home the late, beloved, Roger Zelazny. Ottmar's music is the music of my dreams! If New Mexico had it's own soundtrack the majority of the songs would b Ottmar's. He does, almost, nothing but intramentals and his guitar style has comes 2 b known as "Nuevo Flamenco". Flashes of Sergovia and Paco de Lucia mixed with swing, marenge, bossa nova, salsa, rumba, rock, jazz and where ever he just decides 2 go. Influences range from Asian 2 Indian and from Led Zepplin 2 Jimi Hendrix! He is absolutely amazing--get the double album Opium and it may b the last thing u'll ever listen 2!
I like almost all types of music except for nihlism and some rap, disco and popular. I also listen 2 a lot of Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Yes, Rush, Joe Satriani, Mahavishu Orchestra, Tangerine Dream--and I am not above headbanging 2 Alice in Chains, Bush, Metallica, Godsmack and STP. I also have a soft spot 4 jazz ranging from Coltrane 2 Pat Metheny. I must admit, tho, I have a tendancy 2 fall asleep whenever Tamara plays Kenny G! So lets develope some Top Ten Lists and lets hear Who "gets ur motor running"! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/8/02 3:45:37 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Music
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:41 am 
Master Pilot

Your tastes in music are as varied as mine, Danlo!
Classical: Ralph Vaughn Williams
Rock: Beatles/Yes
Jazz: Buddy Rich/Ramsey Lewis
Soul: Isaac Hayes/Marvin Gaye
Pop: Barry Manilow
Christian: The Imperials
Actually, most of the 60's stuff, I really like (We all tend to like the era's music that was popular when we were teens). I see we both like Yes. without a doubt, a group that championed the cause of fantasy: both with lyrics (Jon Anderson) and visuals (Roger Dean), and arguably the best musicians in their fields. Jon Anderson performed with another of your favorites: Tangerine Dream in the movie "Legend". I'll think of compiling a top 10 list. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:22 am 
Master Pilot

OK, TOP 10 {ROCK} List from Theoden:
1. The Beatles
2. Yes
3. Moody Blues
4. Dave Clark 5
5. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
6. Beach Boys
7. Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
8. Alan Parsons Project
9. The Fortunes
10. Kansas Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:36 pm 
Master Pilot

I think we must have met in another lifetime, King cause I argee w/almost all ur picks--especially Yes, CSNY, Alan Parsons, Moody Blues and ELP--I would add:
1. Neil Young
2. Pink Floyd
3. The Who
4. Eric Clapton
5. The Freddy Jones Band
6. The Allman Brothers
7. Quicksilver
8. Joe Satriani
9. Rush
10. Bush
The list goes on and on--Elvis, Stones, Dylan, Tom Petty, etc...etc...and the old masters--Holly, Coasters, Valens, etc...etc Danny & the Juniors! The Dave Clarke 5! damm ur older than me! And that's damm old! Well @ least u didn't list the Monkees or the Partridge Family--all I can say 2 that is: that diamond ring doesn't shine 4 me anymore! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 4/18/02 8:02:50 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:45 pm 
Master Pilot

For me... its all about punk music... old skool and new skool.

The Clash
The Sex Pistols
The Strokes
Green Day
Blink 182
Sum 41
The Hives
The White Stripes
New Found Glory
Fenix*TX
and others...

I also like...
Dave Matthews Band
Rolling Stones
Cowboy Mouth(For all you New Orleanians)
Better Than Ezra(See Above)
Incubus
The Crystal Method
Weezer
Oasis
And many many others What crazy person watches soccer at four in the mornin?<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Cool choices KM!! I am saddened by the recent death of John Entwhistle--fantastic bassist 4 the Who--I 2 have a soft spot 4 punk: Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys "Saran Wrap!" and also like Clash, Sex Pistols, Green Day etc...I really like Incubus, Everclear and The Deftones, as well. I'm crazy about The Talking Heads. Even tho I really don't like most rap I love Korn and some Rage Against the Machine. But I find that if u listen 2 2 much RATM it all sorta turns in2 the same song and can give one a severe headache--same way 4 Pantera--small doses, then. How in the hell did Dave Matthews Band get in there? Interesting. I love Clifton Chenier and King Creole. My fav Cajun song is "Jalapena Lena" but I 4get who did that (Junior, something...?). King of the Bayou--there's another 1 of those Louisiana Kings!!! Carumba!!! Oh btw--I've noticed that on King Theoden's site he <i> is</i> a Monkees fan!!! 2 much!!!! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/29/02 2:18:33 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:52 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> I DO think the Monkees had some great songs. First group to use the moog. My son really likes all the punk and alternative rock groups (he's 17). I believe most of us tend to like the groups that we grew up with. I remember an 8-year-old-girl who loved Bing Crosby: that's what her parents liked, and that's all they played! Some groups I like for their nostalgic value: they take me back to those teenaged years. One day, you'll list your favorites Mudd, and a young group of listeners will wonder if you had any taste at all (I already get that from liking the Beatles, Yes,...). But I think that it's very interesting that a lot of current and semi-current films have 60s music in the soundtrack. </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:39 am 
Master Pilot

Danlo, you don't like DMB? They're great instrementalists and stuff.
Theoeden- nah,I'll always grow with the times. What crazy person watches soccer at four in the mornin?<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:23 am 
Master Pilot

No King Mudd I love DMB it just seemed 2 b the oddball in the mix--if u know what I mean--just a little more mellow than all the other groups u listed, that's all... Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:22 am 
Pilot

In no particular order

Nirvana
Arch Enemy
Blind Guardian
Alice in Chains
Green Day
Nocturnal Rites
Im tired more later... Asshai by the Shadow
Love endures by a bond which men, being scoundrels, may break whenever it serves their advantage to do so; but fear is supported by the dread of pain, which is ever present.-Machiavelli, The Prince.
It takes balls of steel to quote yourself.-wolflord11<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:55 am 
Master Pilot

Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
reedence Clearwater Revival
Doobie Brothers
Jimi Hendrix
RUSH!
Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young
Tom Petty
Fleetwood Mac

She told me to come but I was already there.<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:56 am 
Master Pilot

Wow! that's some cool stuff, being listened 2 by such a young U go King!!!! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:26 am 
Master Pilot

my fave song has to be Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin She told me to come but I was already there.<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:59 am 
Master Pilot

I just came from a friends houz where I played Rock N' Roll, Would (Alice in Chains), Suspicion (Godsmack) and Break Stuff by Korn. Needles 2 say my friend and his guests were stunned! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:34 am 
Master Pilot

hmmm... no real order 'cept the Dead are top of my list
Grateful Dead (and related spin-offs)
CSNY/Y by himself
Genesis
Bodeans
Bare Naked Ladies
Harry Chapin
Who
Beatles
Monkeys
Phish
Garth Brooks
Bill Monroe
Hootie & Blowfish
DMB
Doors

Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i>Edited by: Earthblood at: 9/8/03 8:02 pm
</i>