Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Smile, Brian Wilson,
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:12 pm 
Master Pilot

If anyone knows anything about Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, one has to know that in the mid 1960s Brian Wilson was in the process of a finding a new vision for his music and he wanted this new work to be called a Smile, for a while Brian worked with the Beach Boys band and an experimental poet named Van Dyke Parks to try and put this new vision into practice. For various reasons, including resistance by the Beach Boys band the project never reached it final phase, and that would have been release of an album named Smile. Some of the songs and pieces that were part of the project were released as tracks on regular Beach Boy rock-n-roll albums; for example, Heroes and villians, Surfs up and Good vibrations. Over time the idea of Smile grew to mythic proportions, people who knew about the concept and Brian's vision said it would have revolutionized rock-n-roll and pop music as much as Sgt Pepper's album did.

Move forward nearly 40 yrs later. And it 2003, Brian Wilson and a new band of musicians bring the finally finished concept of Smile to a London auditorium as a live performance. And on Showtime premium cable they've been showing a documentary about how this all happened. I saw it in May and really enjoyed it. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>