Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jazz
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:26 am 
Master Pilot

I just made a top 10 {ROCK} List. Going to continue with a Top 10 {JAZZ} List:
1. Ramsey Lewis
2. Bob James
3. Fourplay
4. Burt Bacharach
5. Henry Mancini
6. Ramsey Lewis Trio
7. Average White Band
8. Blood, Sweat, and Tears
9. Buddy Rich
10. Dreams Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Jazz
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:43 pm 
Master Pilot

Gee, I never noticed u made this topic, King! Oh how I love it! I would have 2 get warmed up by listing my favorite artists on their instruments.
trumpet: Miles Davis & Louie Armstrong
intense guitar: John McGlaughlin
soft guitar: Pat Metheny, Lee Ritenour & Craig Quachico
bass: Ron Carter & Stanley Clarke
keyboards: McCoy Tyner, Chick Corea & Herbie Hancock
swing sax: Stan Getz
tenor sax: John Klemmer & John Coltrane
alto sax: Stanley Turrentine, Ritchie Cole & Gato Barbieri
bass sax: Gerry Mulligan
harp: Andreas Vollenweider
fiddle: Jerry Goodman
drums: Billy Cobham
vibes: Lionel Hampton
percussion: Tito Fuentes
singer: Ella (who else!) & Mel Torme
fluglehorn: Maynyrd Ferguson
flute: Tim Wiesberg
I think ur definition of {ROCK} jazz is soft jazz 2 me--I could never place Bacharach (though I do think the album Elvis Costello and Bacharach made 2gether is amazing!) and Mancini in that category--I guess in {ROCK} jazz my list would go like this:
1. The Mahavishnu Orchestra
2. Return to Forever
3. The Commadores
4. AWB
5. The Jeff Lorber Fusion
6. Passion (Paco de Lucia), Grace (Al Demiola) and Fire (John McGlaugin)
7. The Pat Metheney Group
8. Earth, Wind and Fire
9. Chicago
10. The Brecker Brothers

Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/1/03 2:13:56 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 7:09 pm 
Master Pilot

Don't know how I left out Chicago. They are really a little more rock than jazz, but they could certainly change in a hurry. I wasn't really trying to make a "rock jazz" category (may have confused you by mentioning {rock} before my {jazz} listing). The list of performers you listed are certainly all competant, and I'd list Cobham on drums as the best "living" drummer, but no one could beat Buddy Rich on the drums. The Brecker Brothers were on two of my lists: both played with Dreams and Blood, Sweat, and Tears. Good list. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:26 pm 
Master Pilot

Yeah I think u did confuse me! But anyway that's my "Rocky" or intense jazz list--I probably left out some of the great jazz artists like: Charlie Byrd, Jaco Pastorius, Thelonius Monk, George Benson, Sun Ra, Raashan Roland Kirk and a few others--I argee w/many on ur list, just didn't want 2 duplicate it! I think we need "blues", "soul" and "alternative/new age/world beat" topics 2! Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i></i>

Post subject: In memorium
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:43 pm 
Master Pilot

Lionel Hampton just died-how sad! Truly one of the greats in Jazz History!!!!! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

Post subject: Lee Ritenour
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:51 pm 
Master Pilot

Just bought a Lee Ritenour CD (hard 2 come by) @ a garage sale 4 $2!! In perfect condition! Listening 2 it right now--very smooth and complex--yet "freeflowing". Called Festival--captures that sensual "Carnival" atmosphere, 2 or 3 beautiful Portugese singers. Album aslo reminisent of The Pat Metheny Group's: We Live Here. www.patmethenygroup.com The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/1/03 2:20:19 am
</i>

Post subject: vocal jazz
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:58 am 
Lady Scryer

I'm more into Ella Fitzgerald and the great singers of the past. Danlo, have you heard that remastered album of Ella singing duets with Louie Armstrong?? Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Winter is Coming
Blood and Fire
Unbowed,Unbent,Unbroken<i></i>

Post subject: Re: vocal jazz
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:29 am 
Master Pilot

It is great! Duchess! Don't 4get Eartha Kitt, Etta James, Dorothy Dandridge (even Peggy Lee) and of course Billie Holliday. 4 male vocalists I could ezly throw in Al Jarreau and George Benson (Masquerade!). And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: Re: vocal jazz
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:49 am 
Lady Scryer

I am listening to one of my favorite jazz instrumental albums right now -- Steve Turre's T-N-T (Trombone and Tenor) -- the trombone is used rather than the trumpet and gives it a lovely mellow sound. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:33 am 
Master Pilot

This may sound a little presumptious and arrogant, best jazz recordings: Miles Davis, Birth of the cool, Dave Brubeck, Take Five. Followed real closely by Return to Forever's Light as a Feather (Flora Purim's vocals really make those recordings sweet), Herbie Hancock's Headhunter. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:57 pm 
Lady Scryer

You're lucky to live in Chicagoland with all of those great jazz clubs, Taras. We have a couple of them in Ann Arbor, but whenever I travel to Chicago I stay in River North, and it seems like there is a jazz club or a blues club on every block.

It is one of my dreams to travel to Chicago for a few days once the kids are both in college and listen to as much live music as I can stand. And with me, that would be quite a bit. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>