[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Music news - events of interest

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Music news - events of interest
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:51 pm 
Master Pilot

Didn't see a good place for this, so I started this topic for any noteworty events and news from the music world - Births, deaths, arrets, rehabs, et al! Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Music news - events of interest
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:55 pm 
Master Pilot

Music Legend, Johnny Cash, died today at age 71 in Nashville.

Lets not forget his contributions to country, gospel & yes, even pop music:

Folsom Prison Blues
Ring of Fire
Walk The Line
Boy Named Sue

and the one about the Cadilac.."its a 49, 50, 51, 52....."
edit: (One Piece at a Time)

Great music, by an inspired individual - RIP

Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i>Edited by: Earthblood at: 9/12/03 9:08 am
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:05 pm 
Lady Scryer

I love that man's voice... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:24 pm 
Master Pilot

I grew up listening to Johnny Cash--The Man in Black RULES!!! He always kept his integrity, always stood up 4 what he believed in and never backed down from any1 or anything. I wish I'd had the chance to see him and Soundgarden preform Rusty Cage 2gether... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:08 pm 
Master Pilot

I have an mp3 of Jerry Cantrell and Johnny Cash doing "The Time of the Preacher." Good stuff. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:42 pm 
Master Pilot

They've been showing a lot of Johnny Cash bio's on TV and I love the story of when he won a grammy or CMA a few years back he took out a full page magazine add with a picture of him flipping the bird, captioned with a thinly veiled attack on the state of country music - his way of saying "bite me" country music radio!!

The man was a rebel!!!

Here's a copy of an article about it:

By Karen Thomas, USA TODAY
Country.Com March 25, 1998
Johnny Cash may be ailing, but his fighting spirit isn't diminished. His full-page ad in the March 14 Billboard magazine has country music reeling. The ad, touting Cash's Grammy win for his Unchained album, features a 1970 photo of Cash performing at San Quentin prison in California. In it, a glowering Cash is making an obscene hand gesture at the camera.

The ad's message, placed directly above Cash's middle finger: "American Recordings and Johnny Cash would like to acknowledge the Nashville music establishment and country radio for your support."

Country music has become a "trendy scene," says Cash's producer, Rick Rubin, who placed the ad. "We hope it will open the eyes of the country community and hopefully they'll say, 'The guy did win . . . and he's making records considered the best in country and maybe we should readdress the situation.' "

Cash, 66, who suffers from a Parkinson's-type ailment, was unavailable to comment. He and wife June are in Jamaica. He and many older artists have expressed disappointment about radio's reluctance to play their new music and the focus on the pop-tinged sounds of younger artists.

"They're being more vocal now," says Radio & Records music editor Steve Wonsiewicz. But radio "is not dumb," he adds. Programmers and corporations "do a lot of testing to find out what kind of music they should play. If there was a huge demand for their music, it would get played."

Cash's ad (costing about $20,000) "made me laugh out loud," says country legend George Jones.

"John speaks for all of us," says Willie Nelson, who says he has cut out the ad and hung it in his tour bus "so everyone who comes in has to see it."

Jones says he's running his own ad in Billboard in coming weeks for his new single,Wild Irish Rose. The page will be filled with balls, he says - baseballs, basketballs, etc. along with the song's title. The copy will read: "If radio had any, they'd play this record."

But while the ads are funny, Jones says, "it's very serious. All of us older artists feel that way. Radio gives us one of the biggest insults there is when they don't play our music."

The time has come "for us to speak up about it," he adds. "If no one is going to stick upfor us, we'll have to do it ourselves."
Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:06 am 
Master Pilot

Dave Matthews Band played NYC Central Park tonite.

It was simulcast on AOL & I checked some of it out. It was very good, what I heard anyway - they really have a unique sound....

It was supposed to raise $2M for NYC schools - hopefully they can put they cash to good use.

Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:29 pm 
Master Pilot

Another loss in the world of music.

Robert Palmer died today, apparently from a heart attack. He was only 54 yrs old.

All I can picture when I think of him is him standing in front of 100 women who all look identical - slicked back, jet black hair, pasty white skin & skin tight mini skirts....

RIP Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i>Edited by: Earthblood at: 9/26/03 6:56 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:35 am 
Master Pilot

A Righteous Bro dies....

KALAMAZOO, Mich. (Nov. 6) - Bobby Hatfield, who with partner Bill Medley pioneered ''blue-eyed soul'' as the Righteous Brothers with hits like ''Unchained Melody'' and ''You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling,'' died Wednesday night of undetermined causes at a hotel, his manager said. He was 63.

R.I.P. Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:27 am 
Lady Scryer

Rush guitarist in New Year's Eve fight with deputies
Friday, January 2, 2004 Posted: 10:21 PM EST (0321 GMT)

NAPLES, Fla. (AP) -- The lead guitarist for the rock band Rush skirmished with sheriff's deputies, spat blood on one and was arrested on New Year's Eve after his son refused to leave the stage at a fancy hotel, authorities said.

Deputies said they had to use a stun gun on 50-year-old Alex Zivojinovich -- known on stage as Alex Lifeson -- for what they described as drunken, violent behavior at the Naples Ritz-Carlton hotel.

Zivojinovich was released from Collier County jail Friday afternoon. Also arrested were his son Justin Zivojinovich, 33, and his son's wife, Michelle Zivojinovich, 30.

Gerry Berry, an attorney representing the Zivojinovichs, declined comment and referred all calls to SRO Management in Toronto. A telephone message left with SRO was not returned Friday.

Justin Zivojinovich said deputies broke his father's nose.

The son said he went on the stage where the house band was performing so he could sing.

"I was singing Happy New Year's, that's all I was doing, singing to the whole crowd. That's all I said, 'Happy New Year,"' Justin Zivojinovich said. "Everyone was enjoying themselves. That's when someone apparently started yelling for one of the security guards. There was no violence on our part."

According to authorities, the scuffle began when Justin Zivojinovich refused to leave the stage.

The guitarist spat blood on a deputy's face and pushed a deputy down a hotel stairwell during the struggle, a police report said.

Justin Zivojinovich disputed that account, saying the deputy tumbled down the stairs as she pushed the guitarist down the stairwell.

Charges against Alex Zivojinovich include aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer, resisting an officer with violence, and disorderly intoxication.

Rush's hits include "Tom Sawyer," "Limelight" and "The Spirit of Radio."

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:04 am 
Master Pilot

This is not new news, but just so you all know, The Other Ones (former members of the Grateful Dead, less Jerry plus a couple others...) have made the decision to start calling themselves "The Dead"

Just isn't the same without Jerry - I like Joan Osborne, but ....she ain't Jerry.....

Sorry - a frustrated "old Dead"-head venting.......

Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i>Edited by: Earthblood at: 2/28/04 8:05 pm
</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:38 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:44 am 
Master Pilot