Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fantasy Music & the band Camel!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:09 am 
Master Pilot

I think we're all in agreement about Tangerine Dream's beautiful soundtrack 4 Ladyhawke, but I'd like 2 talk about Fantasy inspired music in gen. Here's a few really old, like, man, mid '70s bands that did some weird Fantasy type music: H.P. Lovecraft, Husker Du, Gentle Giant, old Genesis (w/Peter Gabriel), Captain Beyond, Quicksilver, Armageddon & Vandergraf Generator. All Gentle Giant albums r absolutely amazing (I particullarly like Octopus) and Authurian freaks will really enjoy their very "Machiavellian" album: The Power and the Glory--"So Sincere", off that CD is one of the coolest songs I've ever heard. Amageddon did an absolutely beautiful song called "Silver Tightrope", u have not lived til u've heard that song. Many early Genesis albums r very cool--my 2 favs r The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and the more fantasy inspired CD: Selling England by the Pound. Of course there r the killer English bands known 4 Fantasy inspired or loved by Fantasy freaks music such as, Pink Floyd, Yes (w/all that fantastic, groundbreaking, Rodger Dean artwork!), Alan Parsons (Sci Fi 2!), Led Zepplin (I don't know a Tolkien freak who doesn't like "Misty Mt. Hop", "Over the Hills and Far Away" or "Kashmir"). God! I sure I could go on and on, but 1 must mention a few more groups--that r kinda obscure(d by clouds, HA!) b4 I stop--if u can find an album (CD) by the group Camel, no not Frampton's Camel, called Moon Madness u will hear 1 of the COOLEST SONGS EVER recorded called "Song Within a Song" yes it really IS a song within a song and kinda melds in2 and goes in backwards counterpoint 2 the song that surrounds it--like "White Cliffs of Dover" by Erik Johnson-- it's 1 of the most inspiring songs u'll ever hear. Another CD by Camel that is guaranteed 2 blow u away is Music From The Snow Goose which is a lesser known film but a beautiful, sad, love story w/Richard Harris. Andy Latimer of Camel has 1 of the coolest guitar styles ever! There's also an amazing "mystical" group from Scotland called Lindesfarne, if u can find 1 of their CDs not only will u be a very lucky person-u will b blessed by the GODS! My current fav Fantasy-ish song right now is "Pull Me Under" by Dream Theater (kinda rock-opera Queen/Queensryche)--OMG they'r coming 2 Albq in Aug w/Joe Satriani and King's X I'm SO XCITED!!! "Somebody Stop Me!" :wak How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/18/02 2:56:50 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Fantasy Music
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 4:38 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Camel has been a favorite of mine for years! Love their music! I still think the best fantasy lyrics come from Jon Anderson (of Yes) and Neil Peart (of Rush). America did the soundtrack from <i> The Last Unicorn</i>, and did a super job. I even like Paul Williams's music on <i> Secret of N.I.M.H.</i>! Probably left some out, of course, but those are some of my favorite fantasy bands and soundtracks. (America also did a song for <i> Watership Down</i>, but someone decided to not use it, and America put the song on one of their LPs anyway. Great song!</b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 8:00 pm 
Master Pilot

Yea! finding a fellow Camel afficianado is a rare find indeed! --"Uneven Song" on Moon Madness may, actually, b cooler than "Song Within a Song", depending on what mood u're in--they have a GREAT drummer 2. Another fav Camel CD of mine is the 1 w/"Rainbow's End", but I can't remember the name right now. What a pity that they NEVER got enuf xposure in the US--alot of the "smarter" afficianidos of the '70s--who actually did their homework, traveled around and listened 2 alot of "underground" and "free format" radio stations were kucky enuf 2 catch Camel. How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:15 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> You got me wanting to hear Camel again, so I went and dug out a couple of LPs (don't have anything on CD, but I'm going to burn a couple in a few minutes). I have <i> The Snow Goose</i> and <i> Breathless</i>. Really like Snow Goose better. All instrumentals.
I've also been listening to a lot of old Zombies this week, but Camel was certainly a great group!</b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:04 am 
Master Pilot

Well, I got so into the Camel recordings that I ordered their Echoes CD (actually 2 Cds) that have songs from all their LPs, and yes, "Song Within a Song" is on there, and it's as great as you said it was, Danlo. Thanks for reminding me of them. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/23/04 12:51 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:36 pm 
Master Pilot

Uriah heep w/Wizard of Athousand Dreams (and many other songs) and some old Black Sabbath (especially The Wizard) tunes r def Fantasy if not Tolkien inspired music! How far do you fall Pilot?<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:00 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Just wanted to add a note or two (no pun intended):
In the first post, Danlo, you mentioned Tangerine Dream doing the soundtrack for <i> Ladyhawke</i>, but that was Alan Parson's Project (though it's listed as Andrew Powell). Tangerine Dream is noted for their music on <i> Legend</i>. BTW, there is a new 2-disc DVD from <i> Legend</i> that has the director's cut with the original Jerry Goldsmith score, and the version with Tangerine Dream (but Bryan Adam's song is placed in there instead of Jon Anderson's-sacrilege!).
I have found another Tolkien-based group (Danlo probably already knows them) called Marillion. Their name came from <i> The Silmarillion</i>! </b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 9:23 pm 
Master Pilot

I meant APP but <i> did</i> get it mixed up w/Legend & Tangerine Dream--positive mistake tho..as it still contributed 2 the topic, thanks 2 ur accuracy, King***quickly covers ass, runs away!!*** Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/29/02 2:26:59 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Right now I am<b> JAMMING</b> out 2 Echoes by Camel!!! I am in heaven!!! I <b> LOVE this group</b>!!! Thanks so much King Theoden!!! "Never Let Go!" I 4got how much "Freefall" rocks!! Now I remember the album Rainbow's End is on: Rain Dances...Andy Latimer is GOD of electric guitar! Nude is also a great album! I may just blow out my little Compaq speakers!!!!! **does happy dance!!!** (Now I'm convinced that all the soundtracks of any and all The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever movies should consist of nothing but Camel songs!!! King can u just c the company approaching Mt Thunder in Lord Foul's Bane on Raynhyn 2 the stirrings of Song Within a Song? Or Uneven Song as the Search nears the Isle of the One Tree?) fantastic stuff!!! Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/15/02 4:42:58 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:16 am 
Master Pilot

<b> Glad you're enjoying the CDs. I thought you might. Yes, much of Camel's music would sound good as a soundtrack for a TC movie!
According to the linernotes, <i> Ice</i>, with that trememdous guitar solo was almost scrapped because one intro note was slightly flat. When Phil Collins (who added percussion to the track) said that <i> Ice</i> was perfect, it was left like it was. Tremendous solo!
I believe this collection by Camel contains some of the best progressive rock ever made. </b> (Danlo doing the TC) Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

Post subject: Current Camel line-up
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:55 pm 
Master Pilot

Andrew Latimer: Guitar, Vocals
Kit Watkins: Keyboards, flute
Andy Dalby: Backup guitar
Chris Rainbow: Vocals
Stuart Tosh: Drums, Vocals
David Paton: Bass, Vocals

Hey King I just found the official Camel website!!!:www.camelproductions.com/ Their great keyboardist, Peter Bradens died awhile back from lung & brain cancer--but the group is still going strong, still touring--next album 2 come out is A Nod and a Wink followed by an acoustic album--they also have a DVD soon 2 b released called 30 Years: A History of Camel--the site is <i> really</i> cool and the jukebox plays 5 songs, including Ice!!!
The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/18/02 3:04:12 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Current Camel line-up
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:17 pm 
Master Pilot

That is a great site, Danlo! I was all set to pre-order their new CD and DVD, but was a little concerned that though they said the page was secure, I didn't see the little "s" in the URL (I know they said it had something to do with frames, but...). I may go ahead and fax an order. I would love to hear the new stuff. Thanks. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 2/23/04 12:51 pm
</i>

Post subject: Hawkwind
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:25 pm 
Master Pilot

The band Hawkwind provided the awesome music to the audiotapes of Roger Zelazny's Amber series--I need to look them up and find 1 or 2 of their CDs! Any1 kno more about them? The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Hawkwind
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:53 pm 
Master Pilot

There is now a Hawkwind link in the Zelazny 4rum!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>