Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Your opinion wanted
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 3:00 am 
Master Pilot

I realize this may be a little like another post here naming the top ten, but I wanted to narrow this down. Who was/is the greatest rock band in history? (I want to say Freddie and the Dreamers, but I guess I'll go with The Beatles) Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: King Theoden  at: 5/22/02 7:02:43 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Your opinion wanted
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 6:04 am 
Master Pilot

It REALLY is a matter of personal taste I guess, in my opinion FOR WHAT ITS WORTH (which is also the title of a song that relates 2 my choice) would have 2 b Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. This is based on 4 factors: 1.) Their contributions 2 impact bands b4 they became C,S,N & Y, 2.) Their combined musicianship, songwritting, harmonic vocals and social message as a band, 3.) What they continued 2 add 2 the music scene after their initial breakup and 4.) their longevity, individual personal messages and integrity. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's last album, Looking Forward, is a fun, entertaining and technically near perfect album (thanks 2 Neil Young) that still carries important messages of hope 4 the confused populace and they r still touring 2day. Through it all they have all maintained solo careers, as well. They also form a kinda cosmopolitian band: 2 Americans, 1 Englishman and 1 Canadian. David Crosby 1st gained recognition as a keyboardist, rhythm guitarist and backup vocalist 4 the Byrds, Graham Nash as a vocalist and writer 4 the Hollies and Stephen Stills and Neil Young as songwriters, singers, keyboardists and one of the best guitar duos of their time, aside from John Cippolina & Dino Valenti of Quicksilver, in Buffalo Springfield. Also look who else was associated w/this band: Richie Furay (who went on 2 Poco w/Neil's younger brother Rusty), Randy Miesner (who helped form the Eagles)and David Frieberg (who played bass and keyboards 4 Quicksilver and later became one of L.A.'s top session musicians). 2 top that all off Springfield, at the end of their touring, let a very young engineer sit in on bass and sing backup vocals: Jim Messina. When C,S,N put out their first album it was the best selling album of that time--when Neil Young joined them Deja Vu topped C,S,N 4 best selling album and then 4 Way Street became the best selling live album of it's time chronicling and raising distinct social awareness of the very heavy duty issues of the time: Richard Nixon, The Vietnam War, social unrest and the search 4 identity in America. Springfield's For What Its Worth combined with such C,S,N & Y songs as Wooden Ships, Ohio, Chicago and Suite: Judy Blues Eyes epitomized everything that was going on between '68 & '75 in a very unsure and constantly changing American social fabric. The group helped America come face 2 face w/it's issues: they treaded a very fine line between open rebellion and common sense in an intelligent, thought provoking and moving way at a time when the young American populace could, really, b moved in2 action, distinct civil action, in large part by musical influences. They also did it with an uncompromising, fearless manner while never selling out--2 this day none of them have sold out! All of their solo albums have done well, critically, w/Neil Young and Stephen Stills leading the way. Still's 1st and 2nd solo album were great as were many of his Manassas albums. Neil Young has gone on 2 b @ the 4front of many social issues and is now ranked up there w/Bob Dylan and John Lennon as 1 of the best songwriters of our time. Graham Nash and David Crosby's two combined albums were very good. C,S,N has toured, on and off, 4 the past 12 years--In any case it also can b argued that, when you put them al2gether, all 4 of them-that is, it is VERY, VERY hard 2 find anygroup, imo (even The Eagles or the Beatles) that can beat their combined harmonies--beautiful, just beautiful. Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 5/22/02 11:11:08 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:38 am 
Pilot

Easy. Jimi Hendrix.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:54 am 
Master Pilot

<b> Of course, you mean, The Jimi Hendrix Experience? One man doth not a band make! </b>
Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:51 pm 
Pilot

Sure it does. You want a band, band? Creedence Clearwater Revival.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Fogerty rules! King probably never heard of of that group..no he'd never listen 2 a song called Born on the Bayou....(hehehe) The power of ahimsa is not just the readiness to die. It is the willingness to live. To live utterly without fear - this is a fearsome thing. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:53 pm 
Master Pilot

I guess I'd have to say Bealtes, due to shear volume of music they produced & the amount of copying of their music & style & inovations has got to place them at the top.

CSN & Y is up there, along with the Stones (Stones for longevity) and....

Grateful Dead for thier contribution to Science and the CIA's information database..... Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:56 am 
Master Pilot

THE BEATLES ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:47 am 
Lady Scryer

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:57 pm 
Master Pilot

Tool. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:08 pm 
Master Pilot

SP is my favorite. However...they're not the best EVER. This is a tough question! Led Zeppelin shames all other bands! In the words of Otto the Bus-Driver..."Zeppelin rules!" Further up, and further in!

"Come to Elfhand," the troll said.
The child thought for a while....
"N-no" said the child
"Why not?" said the troll.
"Mother made a jam roll this morning," said the child.
-the King of Elfhand's Daughter<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:17 pm 
Master Pilot

Greatest Rock band of all time, no one has said the Who. Live at Leeds perhaps greatest live album ever, imperfections and all. Who can not listen to Quadriphenia and not think this music might live forever.

Two additional comments. The Who are not my favorites. And I do love the Beatles. The Rolling Stones, made what is perhaps the greatest R and B based Rock and Roll album ever, Exile on Main Street.

Credance Clearwater Revival. How did a young man raised in, AFAIK, Oakland, Calif. find a sound that sounded like it was ripped by its roots out of Southern delta bayou. It was incredible.

BTW, King I liked Freddie and the Dreamers. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>