[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Who's your favorite obscure recording artist?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Who's your favorite obscure recording artist?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 7:18 pm 
Lady Scryer

I love music, so whenever one of my friends is going on a trip far away, if I have some spare cash, I'll hand it to him/her and ask that they pick me up some good, local music. I've gotten some really cool stuff from the Bahamas and the Carribean that way!

Well, one of my friends recently went out to Arizona and I did my usual, thinking she'd pick me up some Native American music or something along those lines. Instead she brought me back this great western tinged hard rock by a guy named Michael Hedges. Apparently he was a local musician who cut that one CD, then passed away in a car crash.

I love that CD and I listen to it all the time! The first song, in particular, just does it for me. I can close my eyes and I am transported to this little outdoor cantina I love in Scottdale, on a crisp winter night, listening to this great music...

I was wondering if any of the rest of you know of any obscure, great artists like Michael Hedges? if so, please share! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Who's your favorite obscure recording artist?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:03 am 
Master Pilot

If u r refering 2 the same Michael Hedges, yes he is a great guitarist but he is one of The Windam Hill Collection's premier artists and has released over 6 CDs along with contributions 2 many a collection. Lady Tamara and I listen 2 tons of Windam Hill we have 6 George Winston CDs, and CDs by William Akerman, David Lantz (listen 2 Chrisofores Dream), Philip Aberg and Liz Story. We also have sampler '86 and '88, 2 Conversations with God CDs and the absolutely beautiful Winter Solstice 1 & 2.

I also listen 2 tons of ecceltic, new age, artists like Ottmar (of course), Andres Vollenweider, Kitaro, Enigma, Deep Forest, R. Carlos Nakai, Robert Mirabal, Enya, Sunrise, Willie Twofeathers and Robert Whitesides Woo...among others. I had heard something happened 2 Hedges but I didn't kno what it was, no, there r plenty more CDs by him out there--and yes he is outstanding! I will find u a website... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 1/15/03 10:31:21 am
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:14 am 
Master Pilot

Breakfast in the Field (1981)
Aerial Boundaries (1984)
Watching My Life Go By (1985)
Live on the Double Planet (1987)
Taproot (1990)
The Road to Return (1994)
Oracle (1996)
Torched (1999)
The Best of Michael Hedges (2000)
Soundtracks:

The Shape of the Land (1986)
Santabear’s First Christmas (1986)
Princess Scargo & the Birthday Pumpkin (1993)
Videos:

Windham Hill in Concert (1986)
The Artist’s Profile: Michael Hedges (1996)
Compilations:

An Evening with Windham Hill Live (1982)
A Winter’s Solstice II (1988)
A Winter’s Solstice III (1990)
Windham Hill Guitar Sampler II (1992)
Strings of Steel (1993)
Carols of Christmas (1996)
Summer Solstice (1997)
A Winter's Solstice VI (1997)
The Renaissance Album (1998)
Sounds of Wood and Steel (1998)
The Best of Michael Hedges (2000)
Touch: Windham Hill 25 Years of Guitar (2001)
Collaborations:

Unusual Weather (Michael Manring, 1986)
Oh Yes I Can (David Crosby, 1989)
Live It Up (Crosby, Stills & Nash, 1989)
After the Storm (Crosby, Stills & Nash, 1994)
All Sides Now (Pat Martino, 1997)
What the Hell was I Thinking? (Dweezil Zappa, 199?)
As Producer:

Adoration of the Magi (E. J. Ulrich)
As Guest Performer:

Past Light (Will Ackerman, 1983)
The Elusive Randy Bernsen Album (1986?)
Sticks & Stones (Rob Eberhard Young, 1996)

He did die in 1997 but he was fairly well known Internationally...
Aerial Boundries
Taproot
and Breakfast in the Field
r 3 outrageously beautiful albums
Michael's Website:nomadland

And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:52 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, thanks much! I had never heard of the guy before my friend gave me the CD, and with the story that came with the CD, it never even occurred to me to search for anything else by him. Now I will have to go huntin'! I love this man's music! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:35 am 
Master Pilot

Duchess baby! I strongly suggest u get the Windam Hill catalouge it pretty much free and every "Hill" artist we've come across has been fantastic! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:03 pm 
Lady Scryer

Very well, Lord Danlo, I will track it down! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:11 pm 
Lady Scryer

I actually felt well enough to leave my house this morning! So I went to the music store and found **two** CD's by Michael Hedges and also a 2-disc compilation set of WIndham Hill artists, which include a couple of selections by him. I am happy today! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 2/22/03 7:57:43 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:53 am 
Master Pilot

I noticed on the Watch that u mentioned Manhiem Steamroller. Tamara and I have about 6 of their albums, 2 of which r Xmas albums...I'd have 2 say MS 7 and Sunday Morning Coffee r my favs! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:00 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have two of their Christmas ones, and then the new one of Romantic Music, I got for Valentine's Day. I like their music, it soothes me down when I get stressed out. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:10 pm 
Master Pilot

I argee! But sometimes ol' Chip has tendancy 2 get a little 2 "orchestral' and noisy... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:16 am 
Master Pilot

Since the topic of come up regarding Christmas collections and obscure artists. One of the best Christmas collection, IMO, is one by the Roches, a trio of girl singers (two sisters and a life long friend), who perform much of their music a capella. The collection is called We Three Kings. It is a true delight.

I first heard of the Roches on the old Bud Friedman Nite at the Improv on TV. I do not even know if they are still together as a group. taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:45 pm 
Master Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:43 pm