Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Favorite Instrument?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:38 pm 
Master Pilot

What's your favorite musical instrument?

Mine would have to be acoustic guitar. I love the sound & richness of a well played acoustic guitar.

I had the opportunity to visit the CF Martin guitar factory in Nazareth, Pa. when we were on vacation. I missed the tour, but did wander around the small museum & showroom. They have a room with about 30 different guitars hanging on the wall with a sign that says "Please play, be gentle" - how cool is that?!?!

I picked up the first 12 string I saw & strummed away for a while. I picked up a price list on the way out & saw the list price for the guitar I was playing - a mere $3,900.00!!

What is your favorite? Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Favorite Instrument?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:43 pm 
Master Pilot

Harps (harmonicas). I love jamming, it's a great workout and they're, relatively, cheap. I'm a John Mayall/Neil Young/Magic Dick (J. Giels Band) schooler. But u have to give Sonny Boy Williamson, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James, Delbert McClintock and John Lee Hooker their due, too...Even Dylan can be amazing, sometimes, in certain songs like Tangled Up In Blue and The Ballad of Hurricane. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:20 am 
Master Pilot

Tangled up in Bluuuueeee....

Dylan rules. Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:30 am 
Lady Scryer

for rock and blues it would have to be acoustic guitar...

for country (which to me means bluegrass) it would have to be a fiddle...

for classical...the brass section...french horns are darned cool to listen to in solos...

for jazz...trombones -- and tenor sax... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:15 pm 
Master Pilot

I played the trumpet in elem/high school .
I always liked dixie land music too Theme from the movie the Sting was one of our staples (it was current at the time ) Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:40 am 
Lady Scryer

My older son played the trumpet until he got to high school. He then gave up band because he is taking so many heavy duty college prep classes...
This year my little son is in sixth grade and is starting band, with his brother's trumpet. The cats and dog don't seem to care for listening to him play the same three notes over and over and over I hope he will get to be as good a player as his older brother was... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:38 pm 
Master Pilot

In a previous life, I lived with a girl, whose cousin lived next door to us - her daughter was like 5 or 6 and learning the violin. She would come over & play for us and my dog (RIP) would start howling along - it was hilarious!!!!

Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:10 pm 
Master Pilot

Bagpipes. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:30 pm 
Master Pilot

One of my best friends plays (has for 25 yrs) in a pipe & drum corp. They actually went to Scotland & placed 2 in a world competition some years ago...

Anyway, he had one of his piper buddies play at his wedding. It was in an old Episcopal church, that had a real sort of old English feel to it, with pipes playing from the balcony, it was really quite moving & beautiful. Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:44 am 
Master Pilot

I've been playing in a folk ensemble at our church for a contemporary service and have re-fallen in lovewith my Alvarez 12 string guitar - what a nice guitar! Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i></i>