Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The CNN War
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:53 am 
Master Pilot

Is it just me, or are we getting too much information regarding this war?
It's like a friggin' football game broadcast....
You've got your play by play guys (anchors)
Your color commentators (military consultants - mostly ex-servicemen)
Your sideline reporters (coverage in Baghdad)
locker room interviews ("imbedded" reporters, travelling with troops)
You even have gameday forecasts...
We don't need this much info - they're already starting to invent ways to make a story when things are quiet....

What do you think? Cripple but free; I was blind all the time I was learning to see<i>Edited by: Earthblood at: 3/20/03 10:54:55 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: The CNN War
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:01 am 
Lady Scryer

I think that if I were in the Iraqui military, I would be glued to my TV, and getting all of the info I need to tell my troops waht's going on and what to do! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:20 pm 
Master Pilot

It doesn't really bother me unless something I want to watch has been preempted, then I get ticked. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:09 am 
Master Pilot

I'm listening 2 the Xavier game, I still can't watch the NCAAs, yet, but I'm slowly getting used 2 it...It's the cellphone feeds that weird me out... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:19 am 
Master Pilot

I agree earthy .. here we have 24 hr/day CNN FOX SKY and BBC news channels .. I prefer the BBC coverage personally cos there's not this 'football hype' mentality as we are picking up on the US FOX channel .. which has to be the worst .. and most opinionated .. I did think there was a journalistic creedo in favour of objectivity! but objectivity is difficult when your channel is funded by certain sources.

By and large the BBC give a relatively fair coverage ..

I am very anxious about this war .. and have been following it when I can .. and I agree I too have noticed that when it is quiet .. news is generated .. news and speculation which serves to drive the propaganda machine!!

Which clearly both sides are using .. though I will say Iraq is clearly less experienced at this .. there parading captured and deceased infantry .. will not aid their case ..

Its all vile .. I dont watch the nonsense .. and prefer not to see coverage of engagements .. or even coverage of injured Iraqi children/persons civillian or military [regardless of nationality] .. I find that only serves to heighten my anxiety .. but I did watch the UN Security Council coverage and was really grateful for the coverage albeit limited ..
.. [cut short in favour of troop deployemnt coverage ] ..

And I agree with Duchess .. if I was an Iraqi military tactician .. I would keep a constant watch on the media coverage of the war ..

yet I do note .. that the US-coalition forces have not been completely forthcoming with their actual tactics .. which I think is the smart thing to do. 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:58 pm 
Master Pilot

They say Bin Laden watches[ed?] CNN..pretty smart, I'd say. But Earthblood is right. And so are you, Skyweir. Fox is the most biased American television station... Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 3:54 am 
Master Pilot

I know I loathe the FOX news channel .. like where do they get there commentators and hosts from??

Least intelligent grad school??

Some of the things they come out with .. really make me sick ..

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:00 pm 
Master Pilot

lol you'll notice on American war coverage that the Liberal and unbiased stations will just say 'the War on Iraq', while the Conservative ones like FOX will call it what the Bush administration calls it, 'Operation Iraqi Freedom'! Further up, and further in! <i></i>

Post subject: yes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes I have noticed that!!

and I watched the Iraqi Infomation Minister today and he asked the reporters at question time .. whether they watched CNN ..

so clearly he does!! hahahahaha LOL .. I laughed out loud ..

but yeah .. if I were him .. I'd watch CNN too!! <i></i>

Post subject: yes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:22 pm 
Pilot

Does he watch bbc news?...I think he does listen to bbc in my guess that is <i></i>