Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Deadly pneumonia in Asia!!??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:14 pm 
Master Pilot

God this is unbelievable! Any1 kno any more about this? Got a link? Got milk? God! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/17/03 7:14:53 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: Deadly pneumonia in Asia!!??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:22 pm 
Master Pilot

Well I found something...but damm!

Experts Fear Mystery Outbreak Is New Flu
Mysterious Outbreak in Asia Could Be a New Flu Strain, Experts Fear; Some Victims Improving

The Associated Press

March 17 —
Health experts searching for the cause of a frightening outbreak of a deadly flu-like illness in Asia say the culprit is probably a virus, and they are encouraged that some victims appear to be getting better.

More than 150 people have fallen ill, mostly in Hong Kong and Vietnam, over the past three weeks. And experts suspect that another 300 people in China's Guangdong province had the same disease beginning in mid-November.

While experts are unsure precisely what is causing the outbreak, several say their biggest fear is that it is a new and lethal form of influenza.

"If it really is the flu, it could be we have a new organism that could cause a pandemic," said Dr. R. Bradley Sack, director of Johns Hopkins' international travel clinic. "People immediately start thinking of 1917," when a worldwide flu epidemic began that killed at least 20 million people.

So far, the disease has killed nine people seven in Asia and two in North America. Its rapid spread, and the discovery of two clusters in Canada, caused a rare worldwide health alert to be issued on Saturday.

Health officials in China said Monday that the disease that infected about 300 people and killed five in Guangdong province "seems amenable to treatment," although they stressed there is still no link to cases in other countries.

Asian airports were screening passengers for flu-like symptoms, in the hope of stopping the spread of the disease. Some fearful passengers wore surgical masks or covered their faces to ward off infection.

Experts discounted the possibility that terrorism is the source and believe it almost certainly is a contagious infection that spreads most easily from victims to their doctors, nurses and families through coughing, sneezing and other contact with nasal fluids.

"Nothing about that pattern suggests bioterrorism," said Dr. Julie Gerberding, head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

Health officials say it may be several more days before they are able to identify the disease. However, they said several of its features suggest it is caused by a virus, which can often be difficult to pinpoint quickly using standard lab tests.

The illness is being called "severe acute respiratory syndrome," or SARS. The incubation period appears to be three to seven days. It often begins with a high fever and other flu-like symptoms, such as headache and sore throat. Victims typically develop coughs, pneumonia, shortness of breath and other breathing difficulties. Death results from respiratory failure.

The World Health Organization has been aware of the outbreak for about three weeks but issued its global alert this weekend because of concern that the illness would spread to North America and Europe.

Officials said they are encouraged that some recent victims seem to be recovering, although they are unsure whether that is because of the many antibiotic and antiviral drugs they have been given or simply the natural course of the disease.

Dr. David Heymann, WHO's communicable diseases chief, said three or four patients had stabilized enough to be moved out of intensive care Sunday in Hanoi, Vietnam, although all still had breathing problems.

The World Health Organization estimates that perhaps 500 people in all have been sickened if the earlier outbreak in China turns out to be part of the same disease, as they suspect it is.

Ninety percent of the most recent cases have been in health care workers.

The CDC prepared cards that were being given to travelers arriving from Hanoi, Hong Kong or Guangdong province in China, warning they may have been exposed. It recommended they see a doctor if they get a fever accompanied by a cough or difficulty breathing over the next week.

Investigators suspect a virus is involved, because victims do not seem to respond well to standard antibiotics, which kill only bacteria, and because their white blood counts drop. That typically happens with viral infections but not bacterial ones.

Few drugs exist for treating viral diseases and often they must run their course until brought under control by the body's natural immune defenses.

No cases have been confirmed in the United States, but Gerberding said the CDC is checking out a few calls. The North American fatalities were a woman and her grown son who died in Toronto after visiting Hong Kong.

A 32-year-old physician from Singapore suspected of having the disease was taken off an airliner during a stopover in Frankfurt, Germany, on Saturday after being in New York City for a medical conference. He was held in quarantine, along with his mother, who had a fever, and his wife, who remained healthy.

However, on Sunday, the man's physician, Dr. Hanns-Reinhardt Brodt, said he was uncertain the case was SARS; he was treating him for ordinary pneumonia.

Also on Sunday, WHO released a report from the China Ministry of Health on the Guangdong outbreak, which said "the epidemic situation has been controlled and the patients are being cured one by one."

In that outbreak, the Chinese said, 7 percent of patients required breathing tubes, but most eventually got better, especially if they were not also infected with bacteria. The disease seemed to weaken as it passed from person to person

And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:28 am 
Master Pilot

With the rapid travel of people around the world, things like that can spread quickly. I read in the paper yesterday that they were looking at 4 cases, in Illinois, of people suspected of having that virus. They were, apparently recently, in China.

I think that it was last year in Hong Kong that they killed a large number of chickens to prevent the spread on an avian borne flu. <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:44 am 
Lady Scryer

With the way people travel about in these modern times, it's pretty hard to prevent stuff like this from spreading very quickly. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:09 pm 
Master Pilot

There r now something like 12 suspected cases in the US, Presbetryian Hosp. in Albq. thinks it has a case and sent all connected health-care workers home 4 2 days till results r confirmed. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

It's spreading throughout rural China now, and they don't have the resources to treat the victims or to track the disease transmission vectors. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:28 pm 
Master Pilot

Crazy. With that many people, though... ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:29 am 
Master Pilot

yes its all madness .. pure madness!!

more than 3000 + sufferers and how many deaths already in China .. and predicting more

tho' its not as easily transmittable as once thought .. which is a relief ..

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i>Edited by: Skywier  at: 4/29/03 10:02:00 am
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:28 pm 
Master Pilot

*was to lazy to read full article* is this SARS we're talking aout here? Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:59 am 
Master Pilot

hehe .. *was also too lazy to read article .. just figured it was sars we were talking about??* it is right??

its a really nasty respiratory illness .. and i dont want it!!

SARS = Syls Aromatically Revolting Socks .. virus!!

a very nasty and almost always fatal disease!!

clearly affecting the upper respiratory tract first .. 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i>Edited by: Skywier  at: 4/29/03 10:01:32 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:42 pm 
Master Pilot

Alright, now I know what we're talking about!

They say that the Chinese immigrants in Toronto might sneak illegally in NYC!! Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:06 pm 
Master Pilot

I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:04 pm 
Master Pilot

*shakes head* .. and you're worried about some future rumoured influx of afew non-smelly sock wearing chinese immigrants

just take a look at that smug sylvanus!! .. someone should do something about THAT 'threat' STAT!!

isn't syl in New York???
First things FIRST ..

<p.s. geez syl's become infamous .. however did that happen??? :"> mrblue

*mmm .. need a pewww emoticon*
*or just a couple of big smoking feet emoticon would suffice 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i>Edited by: Skywier  at: 5/1/03 8:06:02 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:55 pm 
Master Pilot

I can't handle u guys! Y'all r 2 silly! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 11:10 pm 
Lady Scryer

Now, Danlo, there is nothing SILLY about smelly socks!

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>