Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iraq Round 2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 9:53 pm 
Master Pilot

I, for one, think that Iraq is in fact part of the war on terrorism. While Saddam is not an 'orthodox terrorist' because he's an official chief of state, the horrors he has inflicted on his OWN people, and what he wants to do to others can certainly be connected with terrorism.

But it goes farther. Iraq, if Saddam is ousted, will become a friendly regime and ally for the United States in the Mid-East. Why? Because after we take Saddam out, America will essentially choose the new government. With at least one friendly government, the US might hope to re-stabilize a hostile region, and terrorism may be easier to prevent, and stop. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:15 am 
Master Pilot

I have very dire concerns about that ..

The Kurds have agreed to assist the US against Hussein in return for Okisirk (sp?) being returned to them. [Oil fields central which they were driven out of 'ethnic cleansed'] The US ofcourse cant agree to that .. the Oil fields will be required in assisting the funding of the re-building of Iraq.

The Kurds are in the North .. the various Shi'ite factions of the South and the Iranian's in the east .. the entire country is akin to Afghanistan in that the whole country is divided. Following a War in Iraq the nation will disintegrate into warring factions between the multitudinous tribes, war-lords and religous party's all vying for territory and political influence! The very problems Hussein faced when he first came into power and we all know how he dealt with the divisions in Iraq.

The US wont have access to such methods and will face a hefty task in re-establishing some semblance of stability.

Have you followed the situation in Afghanistan recently? It will take years if not generations before anything like stability will be achieved there.

And in Iraq .. US troops will remain in Iraq for a long time! .. something the Bush Administration has not deigned to speak on at length .. but something that the American public really need to be aware of. No time limit has been publicised for obvious reasons .. but I wager a lot more than just a couple of years ..

And in the face of rising anti-US/west sentiments .. from within Iraq and without.

It theoretically could be done .. but it will take enormous financial and military commitment from outside Iraq .. and even more if given the very high possibility of war .. and Hussein torches the Oil fields and reserves

.. then just how will the re-building of Iraq be funded?

Who's prepared to pay for a new Iraq? and its post-war population who may be grateful to lose a tyrant leader and oppressive regime .. but may not embrace western democracy and may even retain anti-US sentiment?

I think it is noble to want to better Iraqi's lives .. but in doing this do we dictate to them how there new lives will be? After all the new government will be only that which is acceptable to the west. And in some ways are we not replacing one form of dictatorship with a form of yet another? Sure not as cruel one would hope .. but still one which will be considered an infidel one that will dictate to an predominantly arab/Islamic state .. 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:11 pm 
Master Pilot

Blix gave his report yesterday...what exactly did he say? I didn't keep the TV long enough to watch him speak.. Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:52 pm 
Master Pilot

basically .. there is co-operation but they would like more ..

and elBarade .. repeated his stance of not finding nuclear weapons.

but I only got the highlights .. would have like to have watched it live .. *shrug* 'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:03 am 
Master Pilot

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:45 pm 
Master Pilot

I have 2 add stuff here every once in a while 2 make this look like it's not a private dbate btween S & M. Spaniards and Mexicans? Sky and Mhoram?

anyway--this letter 2 the ed. in this morning's paper caught my eye! well, 1 of them @ least!

Quote:So, Bombing's the Adult Way?
Re: "We May Avoid War, But Can't Avoid Facing Threat" commentary but Kathleen Parker.
**Parker seems to be very fond of the analogy that anti-war protesters are like spoiled children. ...
**Bombing women, children and civilians to make the world a safer place--yes, that sounds very mature. Rendering world opinion and the United Nations irrelevant is also very grown up. Containing world tyrants through means other than possible nuclear war--how utterly childlike. A pre-emptive strike--the epiphany of adult behavior.
**Does Parker have any immmediate plans to head over to Iraq, strap on a gas mask and witness hot shards liquefying the bodies of Iraqi children?
**I believe the adult term for that would be "collateral damage."...

-Mary Dolch, Albq. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:40 am 
Master Pilot

Well I dont know who this Parker geeser is .. but what a load of hooey!!

people who make statements like his/hers [anti-war protestors are like spoiled children] make me sick! And I would hate to be his/her child .. geesh!!

and all I can add to that is to repeat the above! Quote:Bombing women, children and civilians to make the world a safer place--yes, that sounds very mature. Rendering world opinion and the United Nations irrelevant is also very grown up. Containing world tyrants through means other than possible nuclear war--how utterly childlike. A pre-emptive strike--the epiphany of adult behavior.

danlo why dont you add some of this insight to the thread we got goin at the Watch .. I'm totally outnumbered over there .. to a great host of war-mongers and evil hawkish types!! .. you know who you are!! lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:51 pm 
Master Pilot

Hey, I resemble that remark. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:33 pm 
Master Pilot

And I resent it!

War is war, innocent people are going to die. Maybe you're right, danlo, the entire concept of war is childlike...but isn't that in itself irrelevant? What would the world be like if countries didn't fight against a) Napoleon b) Hitler and..others that I dont want to think of...it's been a long day! He whose desires have been throttled,
who is independent of root,
whose pasture is emptiness-
signless and free-
his path is as unknowable
as the of birds across the heavens.
Dhammapada (93)

Further up, and further in! <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:29 am 
Master Pilot

We're the middle children of history, with no special purpose or place.
We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression.
The great depression is our lives. The great war is a spiritual war.
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:31 am 
Master Pilot

U want a real cause? How about Somalia? Do u realize how many people have died in the past 2 years there? I don't advocate war, but if I did I'd go after those 2 or 3 madmen (way b4 going after Saddam) who: r killing thousands upon thousands of innocent people and starving countless others 2 death... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:10 pm 
Master Pilot

War is a violent act/s of aggression .. I want to believe humanity has matured sufficiently to seek other recourses to the present issues.

Yes maybe war is childish .. and I think that is RELEVANT .. Are we not intelligent enough to explore other solutions first?

I am not suggesting aggression is never appropriate .. there are times when there is no other option available ..

But to suggest that this is the case in Iraq .. is sorely limiting the possibilities imho.

War is the fundamental failure of diplomacy .. and I would prefer it were the last option.

And if such aggression is decided .. then I want to see much more compelling grounds than are agued thus far in support of military action.

Hitler and Napolean were both 'global' aggressor's and for that reason .. the world [well UK,France and allies in respect to WW2] stood against Germany! In this case Iraq is not a global aggressor .. for all the ill he has committed internally and to neighbouring Kuwait etc .. [and weren't we there when Hussein took the offensive in Kuwait .. cos we dont accept and have never accepted such pre-emptive acts of aggression]

If you want war .. it must be on solid, justifiable grounds .. not just because you're bigger and uglier and have the biggest clout!!

I agree with danlo .. and thats no surprise .. It may be posited that violence is the answer of the ignorant .. surely we can come up with a better solution than that.

Post subject: Suddam has to go
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:00 pm 
Pilot

I think it is defenantly worth it, he has cause way to much grief for us and the world would be a better place without his Iraqi ass in it! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Suddam has to go
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:04 pm 
Master Pilot

Restraining urge to nitpick and . ________________

Post subject: Re: Suddam has to go
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:51 pm 
Master Pilot

Good job Syl! And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next