Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Tao of Tom Petty and why I switched the link 2 NPR...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:52 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, this could create an interesting topic in, and of, itself. When the Link in the above banner took us 2 ABC news.com we were so bombarded by their TV series ads that it was rather sick having 2 bear them b4 the actual news link appeared. Well NPR's link doesn't have that crap and it actually gives u some, fairly, unbiased news, they actually do some investigative reporting and attempt 2 present more than one side of the story. In other words not owned by Disney, AOL, Gates or Turner, yet. So I'm sorry I even had that old link up..come 2 think of it...Shall we bash the media in this topic? Sure y not! I'll leave u with this interesting quote by my hero Tom Petty from his recent Rolling Stone interview: The 10 Things that Piss Off Tom Petty: Quote:"I think television's become a downright dangerous thing. It has no moral barometer whatsoever. If you want to watch something that is all about money, just watch the television. It's damm dangerous. TV doesn't care about you and what happens to you. It's downright bad for your health now, and that's not a far-out concept. I think watching the TV news is bad for you. It is bad for your physical health and your mental health. The music business looks like innocent schoolboys compared to the TV business. They care about nothing but profit. They will make a movie about murdering their kids, you know? And they'll put the guy who killed them on TV. And before long, he might even have his own show."
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 10/31/02 9:55:25 am
</i>

Post subject: Re: The Tao of Tom Petty and why I switched the link 2 NPR..
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:35 pm 
Master Pilot

Quote:it actually gives u some, fairly, unbiased news

...except when they report on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict...

But I have to admit I listen to NPR anyway. (I'm such a nerd. )

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:54 am 
Master Pilot

Yea! Some2 finally responded 2 this poor lonely post! It's impossible 2 get any unbiased news anywhere. But NPR is the best in a pool of evils...
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/15/02 8:22:13 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:53 pm 
Master Pilot

Just 2 check if anybody out there reads this topic: Don't u think Dan Rather was rather a total idiot in his commentary following Bush's newsconference on Iraq last Tuesday? All the talking heads on the radio, and I listened 2 a bunch of them, said he should retire right now and some actually suggested he b tried for TREASON! I kid u not!!! (now if some 1 responds 2 this post I will, seriously, pass-out...hmmm... don't have an emoticon 4 that do I? better run and steal Vain's off the Watch... ) And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/2/03 10:55:14 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Rather's an idiot! He whose desires have been throttled,
who is independent of root,
whose pasture is emptiness-
signless and free-
his path is as unknowable
as the of birds across the heavens.
Dhammapada (93)

Further up, and further in! <i></i>