Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Most Influential Person?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:05 pm 
Master Pilot

Who do you think was the most influential person of the 20th century? Who influenced their country, the world, the way people think, or the ongoing saga of history?

Personally, Id have to nominate Adolf Hitler. He made the US a superpower, paved the way for not only WW2, but the UN, and the Cold War.

How about you? Life is a game, play it well, play it wisely. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Most Influential Person?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:44 pm 
Master Pilot

Mine would probably b a 4 way tie or a 5 way tie (but I refuse 2 include Elvis!) so, in no particular order:
Mahatma Ghandi
Albert Einstien
Karl Marx
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:14 am 
Master Pilot

Many people to choose from; so many influenced our lives in the past century! Numero Uno? My vote is for Thomas A. Edison. How farther back would we be technology wise without him? 50 years is a conservative estimate.(IMHO) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:38 am 
Master Pilot

Others were responsible for the UN not just Hitler .. sure it was a response to the Nazi/Fascist regime but to any regime which could rise up and repeat similar aggression ..

Hitler's influence in the formation of the UN was incidental - Hitler was opposed to such a formation and the philosophy upon which the UN was created even.

.. I would take Churchill over Hitler personally.

Hitler wasn't responsible for the Cold War either .. there was no need for the allies and Russians to fall foul after WW2 .. and Hitler had little influence over that .. both sides had opposing philosophies before and after WW2 .. nothing had changed there and Hitler had no part in that. Sure dividing the territorial spoils following WW2 determined opponents in some respect but there was more to the Cold War than that.

Should the guy who invented the atomic bomb be the most influential person ever born in the 20th Century?

What kind of influence are we talking about here anyway? .. some might say Elvis Presley in his influence over the 20th century on modern culture .. moreso than a political leader .. How many traditional cultures have been left untouched by the all pervasive cultural imperialism of the west?? Of whom Presley may have been the principle icon [of 'modern culture'].. if you choose the Beatles .. they themselves were greatly influenced by Presley .. though agreed they took his music a whole dimension further.

The most influential person in culture?? or .. technology?? .. How about the inventor of computer technology then?? or Marconi - with the radio?? .. Edison is really a 19th century icon .. though his influence has certainly continued into the 20th century ..

And a very big alas .. I sorely wish Mahatma Ghandi's influence had been greater in the 20th Century .. his whole concept of non-violent protest and civil disobedience as a right of the citizenry to make change .. He was a true icon for peaceful process.

We tried to see his influence in Tianaman Square - but that was quashed. But there you have Hitler being the dominant philosophy - 'Might is Right' .. - 'let the victors write the history' .. now Hitler nor his regime survived to write such a history but that is the very mind set that the planet accepts still as a guiding principle today - 'Might is Right' .. the biggest most powerful rule .. - cos they can .. eh?

Maybe Woodrow Wilson was the most influential person in the 20th century .. he put forward the notion of self-determination and that concept that all peoples and cultures have the right to individual sovereignty .. and that all disputes between nations should be handled amicably within the rule of law .. with an international body acting as arbiter .. being dedicated to world peace .. and from that we have the League of Nations .. which evolved ultimately into the UN.

Hitler was the anti-thesis of that philosophy .. it existed prior to him and lead onto the era of de-colonisation .. which lead the map of the world to now look as it does today.

The struggle of the Palestinian people .. are one of the last chapters of a story that was originally put forward by Woodrow Wilson ..

mmm .. I think I have convinced myself .. I vote for Woodrow Wilson ..

We started out the 20th century with the 'Age of Empires' .. with the world dominated by a few strong imperial powers and most of the cultures of the world living under their dominion .. some like to think of themselves a paternal empires .. but try telling that to those subject to imperial rule. And we end up with a League of Nations .. which become's eventual the UN .. a world wide repudiation of war and the 'Rule of Might' .. and a committment to international forums for the preservation of peace and the rights of self-determination of all peoples. And it was Wilson's philosophy that was largely resposible for that ..

Facism blew Wilson's League of Nations away .. but at the end of the 20th Century we return to his vision and dream .. Will we have any more luck in realising his dream in the 21st Century?? We will see ..

health and healing<i>Edited by: Skywier  at: 11/9/02 11:59:08 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:43 pm 
Master Pilot

Welcome back Sky!!!! I really dont feel like arguing right now... Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:13 am 
Master Pilot

: cerned look at HLM::

Is all well with you High Lord?

tis my sincere wish that it is ..

::hugs HLM in mately fashion:: health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:26 pm 
Master Pilot

He was waiting all month, just 2 w/u but he got so xcited he just petered out...

What about my "antichrist" Ed Sullivan? Introduced the American populus 2 The King, Beatles, Stones, Doors, Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll? Shirley a profound influence on modern day global cultural mess, er, thought!
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:29 am 
Master Pilot

mmm ... very annoying indeed!! .. now I am here and wanting a discussion and here's a fine topic to be sure and NOW .. his High Lordiness doesnt want to argue!!

wassup with that??? LOL

methought we best 'debate buddies'!! mmm .. clearly deluded I was :( [nb: yoda voice ]

come on HLM .. you cant quit on this topic now .. its the creation of your own genius .. LOL ..

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:48 am 
Master Pilot

is no one going to come back and add to this discussion ..

it is regrettable as this is a very interesting topic health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:26 pm 
Master Pilot

Okay, okay. What I said and meant about Hitler is this...

When I said something about the Cold War, I meant that if he hadnt instigated WW2, then the US and USSR would never have gotten into it, and therefore would never have exploded into major world powers and have started competing against each other...

'Bout the UN, again, because he instigated a war in Europe, the countries wanted to ban together... The dead pay the debts of the living. <i>Edited by: mhoram6910 at: 11/20/02 2:27:59 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:13 am 
Master Pilot

.. well there be erring hypothesis there .. the UN wasnt the first international peace keeping body conceived .. the League of Nations was .. regrettably unsuppported by the US .. till following WW2 when they could clearly see the need to be a part of such an international body - was the UN created ..

Hitler was perhaps more of an instigator of these various outcomes .. even though diametrically opposed to the founding concepts underlying the UN .. and remotely responsible for the Cold War .. though I am less sold on that front

I think the US and the USSR were always philosophically divided .. the Cold War .. then was pretty much inevitable .. the spoils of WW2 .. gave the USSR more clout .. then prior. health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Albert Einstein

He expanded our universe.... <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:41 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes, he, too, came to my mind. The dead pay the debts of the living. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:58 pm 
Master Pilot

mmm .. I like the wallpaper in here .. someone been busy in my absence??? health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:46 pm 
Master Pilot

Did you get my pm? Further up, and further in!<i></i>