[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - POTUS wins Nobel

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: POTUS wins Nobel
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:39 pm 
Master Pilot

POTUS Obama wins Nobel Peace prize, announced today.

W/T are forever

Post subject: Re: POTUS wins Nobel
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:34 pm 
Lady Scryer

You guys know I voted for Obama, and support him. But what on Earth did he do to get this award? :? I really do not understand this. :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:35 pm 
Master Pilot

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:48 pm 
Master Pilot

I'll certainly applaud Pres. Obama for his more conciliatory attitude compared to his predecessor. I wouldn't want to be churlish over who deserves to be recognized for promoting peace. That said, I'm a bit surprised myself about this news. I thought - perhaps wrongly - that you needed something more concrete, say the signing of a treaty, to be awarded the Nobel peace prize. Maybe the criteria for the peace prize isn't quite as stringent as for, say, the chemistry or physics prize. Oh well, their prize, their rules. Not to mention it's their own money they're handing out, so they can do whatever they want with it. :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:06 pm 
Master Pilot

So, I anticipated a question or comment like this. Well, in the history of the Peace prize it's been awarded to Charles Dawes, Elihu Root, and Jane Addams; it seems, Dawes most awesome lifetime achievement was being Collidge's VP, Root's was being secretary of State for T. Roosevelt and Addams, even as great American as she was really a force for international peace (which is what the decsion giving the award to her said). Consider this, Woodrow Wilson won for work at the Versailles Peace conference and the founding of the League of Nations (awesome achievements as those are), BUT could not make good on any promises to deliver U.S. membership in the League. Consider to in the 1970s the award was given to Kissinger and Le Duc Thoh for negoitiations ending the Vietnam conflict. Well, Duc Thoh was the foreign minister of a repressive dictatorship and Kissinger, really!

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not saying the award is empty nor honorary nor a vapid statement, but sometimes the Norwegian group making the decisions are swayed by less overtly obvious situations.

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:26 am 
Master Pilot

I was over at the Tank at KW, where I saw President Obama's acceptance speech posted. It was elegantly worded, which is what you'd expect from Obama. I've heard it argued that it would have been best if he had politely declined the prize and moved on. Ah, well, I think it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's kind of a sad irony to see such intense arguments over a peace prize.

Me, I'm just going to have a good laugh over this. :lol:

To be clear, I'm not laughing at Mr. Obama. If anything, I'm laughing at myself - at my own delusions about the Nobel prize.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:46 pm 
The UnTitled

Since I've held forth at length on this topic in the 'Tank, I'll confine myself to repeatng that, while I have nothing against Obama, I think that this was way too soon. I hope he comes to deserve such a recognition, but I don't think he has done anything yet to earn it.

--A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:45 pm 
Master Pilot

That was my reaction, too. In a sense, Obama won the award because he's not Dubya. :lol: He *is* ratcheting back some of the worst cowboy tendencies the US developed over the past eight years; maybe that's enough to justify his getting the award. I'm sure many in the international community would think so.

I *am* disappointed in some Republicans, tho, who couldn't be gracious enough to just say "congratulations." I mean, come on! :roll:

My books:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:24 am 
Master Pilot

I think it's disappointing that he got it so early - perhaps after all the good intentions bear some fruit :) . But from an outsider's perspective, he has had a positive impact on attitudes towards the US in general. At least from where I sit - it's just a pity the Nobel came before he's had a chance to really act, and time will tell how he goes in that regard.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:11 pm 
The UnTitled

Yeah. Apparently, some of the judges were dubious about his ability to keep his promises. (Which seem to largely be the basis on which it was awarded.) (Article in the 'Tank.)

--A