[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Canadian National Election 2008

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canadian National Election 2008
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Canadian National Election 2008
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:19 pm 
The UnTitled

Yeah...seems the Americans begin campaigning round about the time the election ends. :D

--A

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

Oh no kidding! :evil:

Maybe Moonwatcher can drop in and explain the shoe thing in Canadian parliament. :D I have always loved watching that on TV. 8) Do they only beat the table tops with their shoes, or do they ever beat up each other with their shoes? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:40 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:39 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:47 am 
The UnTitled

But they have to pay lip-service to it, because it's an issue the voters think is important. Go Green Party! :D

--A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:59 pm 
Lady Scryer

Unfortunately, from the little Canadian coverage I have been able to get (since we do not get the Windsor CBC channel as part of our local TV package, even though it is only across the river :roll: ) the Greens will be excluded from the national debates. :razz:

Do the Canadian candidates also try to run on personality and sound bites rather than anything of substance or meaning, Moonwatcher?

My older son will be a first time voter this year, and the candidates are making him rip his hair out with their lack of substance. (I have been teaching him that if he sees a politician he sees a liar, that the political parties exist only to support the demonic cabals known as special interest groups, and if he has any questions about the candidates, that the best place for research is the League for Women Voters, a group which tries to cut through the BS and compile the candidates' stand/s on actual issues).

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:38 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:04 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:54 pm 
Master Pilot

Heh...I agree, the plagiarism charge is likely a non-issue for most voters. Like the article said, it matters more to academics.

I suspect a lot of Canadians - those who are political junkies anyway - will watch the Palin/Biden debate instead, or with more interest.

There seems to be a lot of voter apathy in our election. Many Canadians, it seems, are more emotionally engaged in the US election, which is understandable. They wish that Canada had someone as charismatic as Barack Obama in the race. (Not me, personally. Like Rex Murphy said, I want our election to remain ours, not America's.)

The only candidate who seems to have genuinely energized voters - specifically the younger generation - is the Green Party's Elizabeth May. According to a poll from the CBC, if you only counted the (potential) votes of those between around 18-24 years of age, then the Green Party would be neck-and-neck with the "mainstream" parties. So for the youth, the Greens are already mainstream, in sync with their own views.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:51 pm 
Lady Scryer

This will probably sounds as cynical as hell, but I highly doubt that your guy plagiarized the Oz guy. Knowing the hinkiness associated with the Bush White House, I am willing to bet that the same person - in Washington - wrote both speeches and provided them to these world leaders - especially given that the speeches were in support of Bush's policy. :box:

(Go ahead and throw rotten tomatoes at me now).

We have a Green Party as well. I might actually vote for the Green Party candidate for Congress for my district, in a form of protest this November. My Democratic Congressman voted against the bailout, and after what happened with the Republicans in the House, I do not feel comfortable voting for one of them, either. So I will be researching the Libertarian and Green candidates for my district, and either voting for one of the other of them or will be writing in the name of my former congresswoman, Lynn Rivers, whom I really liked. I know my vote is a throw away in that case - but I view it as a protest vote directed at the two major parties. :razz: :razz: :razz:

In the last election, the Green party candidates in this area were all anti-war in Iraq and all pro green sustainable energy, and more strict environmental protections. I can live with those things. :wink:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:48 pm 
The UnTitled

Haha, that' pretty plausible Duchess. :D One of those things you just wouldn't put past them at all. :D

--A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:29 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:56 pm 
The UnTitled

Wow, that's the sort of thing I'd expect to hear about here. :D Not in nice, quiet, law-abiding Canada. Must be those Québécois separtists. ;)

--A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, like Mr. Johnston said, this goes way beyond party politics. Very disappointed, too, that this kind of thing should happen in Canada. Definitely not a normal part of political campaigns here. Wonder if the vandal(s) will ever be caught.

(Nah, couldn't be separatists...surely they aren't that stupid.) :wink: