Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: some news from Damelon's homestate :)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:05 am 
Lady Scryer

Science - AP

Ancient Village Located in Illinois
Mon Apr 21, 8:53 AM ET Add Science - AP to My Yahoo!

DAMIANSVILLE, Ill. - Digging crews have found hundreds of 1,200-year-old stone arrowheads and pottery fragments buried under an Illinois hillside.

The discovery near this village about 35 miles east of St. Louis represents an important archaeological find, said Brad Koldehoff, a state archaeologist.

"It's a significant site. They discovered a keyhole-shaped house and what appears to be a small village," he said.

"Keyhole" houses are dwellings made of clay and logs with rooms half submerged in the ground. The large, dome-shaped living area at one end was reached by a long, straight, covered entrance, giving rise to the name "keyhole."

Microscopic examination of debris from their ancient garbage pits shows the inhabitants ate venison and turkey, plus what are today considered weeds. One common dish was a sort of pancake made from the seeds of knot weed.

The village dates from the Late Woodland period, from about 600 to 800 A.D., said Koldehoff.

What is learned from the dig will be integrated with knowledge gained from other finds in Illinois in recent years, including the 2001 discovery of 70 handmade ceremonial stone ax heads beneath a field in Shiloh.

The hillside where the artifacts were found last week was chosen for excavation because the landowner wants to sell its dirt to the state as fill for a nearby highway project. State law requires that an archaeological team search for artifacts and excavate any that might be found.

<i>Edited by: Duchess of Malfi  at: 4/21/03 8:23:10 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: some news from Damelon's homestate :)Science - AP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:51 am 
Master Pilot

That area of the state has alot of those sites. The Mound Builders largest site is near there. Although these artifacts are older than the Mound Builders. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: some news from Damelon's homestate :)Science - AP
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:22 am 
Master Pilot

I grew up in a town called Hopewell so I'm in2 the Hopewellian culture... And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>