Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guns, Germs, and Steel
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 3:17 am 
Pilot

My favorites are the Durants "A History of Civilization" books.. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:42 am 
Pilot

I like all of Paul Johnson's works. He is not really a historian, he is a journalist, but his works are very well written and entertaining. He has written on a variety of subjects including histories of the modern world, England, America, the Church, and Jews. "Intellectuals" is one of his best and offers interesting perspectives on some famous people. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:55 pm 
Master Pilot

Cicero by Anthony Everitt, is a very readable, and informative biography about a figure who isn't as well known as perhaps he should be. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:53 pm 
MOOOOOOOOOOOOO

My mom got me a couple of National Geographic books that I've been reading. One is called Wonders of the Ancient World and the other is called the Making of America. And I stole her books called What If? and What If 2. They're really cool! And I have her book that discusses all of the Russian czars and ruling czarinas -- I borrowed it for a history report and "forgot" to return it. And may the best wrestler win!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:50 pm 
Master Pilot

I have several books by Lamb. I usually can't get into histories, and rarely anything past the 1600's. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two"<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:29 pm 
Master Pilot

Like nindiri mentioned, about journalists, I really like David Halberstam's stuff especially his Viet Nam accounts. One of my favorite Civil War books is Glory Road by Bruce Caton. And now Danlo looked in that direction, too. He remembered that snowy owls mate in the darkest part of deep winter, and so along with this beautiful white bird perched in a tree a hundred feet away, he turned to face the sea as he watched and waited.

Ahira, Ahira, he called out silently to the sky. Ahira, Ahira<i></i>

Post subject: history books
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:18 am 
Lady Scryer

Along with some books by David Brin, Dan Simmons, and Roger Zelazny, I will be taking one history book along with me on my trip. It is called Cod, a Biography of the Fish that Changed the World and is written my Mark Kurlansky. It caught my eye at the bookstore, looked both unusual and interesting. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: history books
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:15 am 
Pilot

I highly recommend "Eyewitness to Discovery" edited by Brian Fagan. It is a compilation of first hand accounts of the most important archaeological discoveries. A must read for the historians. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

I am reading a book called How the Scotts Invented the Modern World... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:53 am 
Lady Scryer

In honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day I have begun reading a history book about pirates! David Cordingly's Under the Black Flag, The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:51 am 
Lady Scryer

I am reading a biography of Marie Antoinette by Antonia Frasier. Poor little doomed butterfly of a girl... Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:13 am 
Lady Scryer

Marie Antoinette, The Journey was an interesting and well written biography.
I just read another good biography, as well -- Galileo's Daughter. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

Now I am working on a short book called 1066 The Year of the Conquest by David Howarth which explores the events of that year, and also the lives of the common people of both England and Normandy. Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Post subject: history
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:47 am 
Pilot

Only a few months ago, I read The Rise of Napoleon Bonaparte and The Norman Conquest.
I've also got a copy of The Robber Barons, a classic work by Josephson, in a stack by the desk... <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:16 am 
Lady Scryer

I hope to start a book called Silent Night by Stanley Weintraub soon. It is the story of a truce in WW1:
Quote:In the early months of World War 1, on Christmas Eve, men on both sides laid down their arms and joined in a spontaneous celebration. Despite orders to continue shooting, the unofficial truce spread across the front lines. Even the participants found what they were doing incredible : Germans placed candlelit Christamas trees on trench parapets, warring soldiers sang carols, and men on opposing sides shared food parcels from home. They climbed from the trenches to meet in "No Man's Land" where they buried the dead, exchanged gifts, ate and drank together, and even played soccer. Throughout his narrative, Stanley Weintraub uses the recollections of the men who were there, as well as their letters and diaries, to illuminate the fragile truce and bring to life this extraordinary moment in time. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next