[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - MLB Championship Series/World Series

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: MLB Championship Series/World Series
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:48 pm 
The Timekeeper

Reigning champs, Philadelphia, beat the Dodgers last night 8-6 in a game that left many fans question Joe Torre's sanity after he kept rookie Clayton Kershaw in the game after surrendering 11 walks in a row. :shock: Game one ALCS is tonight as John Lackey pitches against C. C. Sabathia. Sabathia is on short rest and the weather in NY looks nasty.

Go Angels!!!!

Post subject: Re: MLB Championship Series/World Series
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think they are having the crappy weather that just came through here. So yeah - wet and cold. :razz:

Is it just me or is the MLB absolutely insane to have a season so long that it leads to the World Series being scheduled in NOVEMBER??? What are the odds that both competing teams will be from pleasant climates like Florida, Arizona, California, or the Deep South or be northern teams with domes?

Come on - there are plenty of northern teams without domes, and games have a good chance of being freaking snowed out in November!

Crazy I tell you. Utter insanity. :razz: :razz: :razz:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:25 am 
Master Pilot

As some of you know I adore baseball, and not really much of player, but watching is something I really like. So for me there's really no such thing as a too long BB season.

Considering the current championship season. I have relatives, an uncle, mostly, married to my mom's sister; who told me when I was young, naive and impressionable. That playoffs and championship series will always go to the maximum amount of games allowable because that will maximize the advertising profits of the networks. Addtionally, this same yahoo says that the teams making it to the championships will always be the teams from the largest available media markets, because teams from smaller markets (Pittsburg, for example) will not generate enough advertising profit either.

W/T are forever

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:25 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, it does make sense that large market teams tend to make it to the playoffs more often for the simple fact that they would tend to have a larger fan base than smaller market teams due to sheer size of population, and therefore would also probably have more money to spend on free agents (see Yankees, New York) and high quality managers and coaches.

I usually see it as a triumph for the underdog when smaller market teams such as St. Louis, Minnesota, et al make it to the playoffs. 8)

In fact, Minnesota amazes me. What a well run and high performing team year after year after year on a pretty small budget! :D

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:54 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yankees lead their series over the Angels 3-1. Their last game was seriously marred by questionable officiating.

Phillies lead their series against the Dodgers 3-1.

Unless one of the LA area teams pulls off a great comeback, looks like the two teams that might have cold temperatures and possible November snow will probably be making it to the World Series. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:49 pm 
Lady Scryer

And Philadelphia advances to the World Series.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:35 pm 
The Timekeeper

The Angels will win tonight! Even my Dad who lives in NY feels it, but can they hang on? Whoever wins this series is going to run into a serious Philly buzzsaw.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:48 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:13 pm 
The Timekeeper

Well, the Angels did win that game, but in the next Kendry Morales (after a very good season) muffed a bunt, with a error that would have made Bill Buckner proud, essentially allowing the Yanks a free pass to the Series... :x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:36 pm 
Lady Scryer

My husband was hoping for an all LA series, bur his hopes have been dashed. :wink:

I am rooting for the SNOW! :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:09 am 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:40 am 
Lady Scryer

I will laugh as well. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:36 pm 
Master Pilot

come on The Phillies I say :sky:
Cliff Lee out played the Yankees hitters , and 6-1 win in the Yankees stadium a good start.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:13 pm 
Lady Scryer

I had to work during both games played thus far - but I did hear that Cliff Lee ruled. :) 8)

Series tied up 1-1.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:46 pm 
Lady Scryer

Between working afternoon shift and the TV being out over the weekend, I have missed every WS game thus far. But I keep hearing it has been a great series? <sigh>

Image Image Image