[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - NCAA Football fall of 2009

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: NCAA Football fall of 2009
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:19 am 
Lady Scryer

For general discussion, get your fandom on! :mrgreen:

Michigan Wolverines are going to suck big time again this year. :roll: The new coach is horrible, and the players are approaching open revolt, airing a bunch of dirty laundry and rules violatiosn to the Detroit Free Press over the weekend..

Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: NCAA Football fall of 2009
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:32 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
I've approached danlo regarding me running an NCAA pick'em game here on the Hangar, but I don't know if there would be interest. To keep it manageable, I was thinking of featuring the games of the top 20 teams from one of the polls. Do you think there would be interest? I guess doing such would need to be decided quickly; season openers are just a few days away, yes?

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:47 am 
Lady Scryer

How about we talk it over, and do the game next year sicne they have already started the season?

The top twenty would be one way to do it - but the gamesmaster/statskeeper would have to keep super on top of it, since the ratings could change on a weekly basis. :?

Perhaps another way would be to have each player pick his/her favorite school - and the game would follow those schools AND their chief rival school over the course of the season. So - University of Michigan AND Ohio State; Florida AND whoever Florida's chief SEC rival is in that year. That might make the game a bit more personal and fun for the participants, as they can cheer for their teams and hiss at the rivals. And might make it a bit easier on the gamesmaster/statskeepers, as the schedule would be known from the beginning?

A lot of people I know were hoping Western Michigan would beat the snot out out of UM last weekend; a lot of people were hoping it would be the beginning of the end for super asshat coach Rich Rodriguez if that had happened. Alas, it was not to be... :(

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:26 pm 
Master Pilot

well, my Penn State Nitany Lions started out with a tough match-up vs. The Univ of Akron Zips.....huh????
At least they won
Take on Syracuse this weekend and I'm making the roadie to Happy Valley to see the game!!!
Should be a good game, I don't think Syracuse can handle PSU defense
I'll let you know how it was!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

Oh, have a great trip! :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:12 pm 
Lady Scryer

Notre Dame at Michigan this afternoon. The infamous Matt Millen, the man who drove the Detroit Lions franchise into the ground, is part of the TV broadcast team. 100,000+ fans are planning on chanting anti-Millen chants throughout the game. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:19 pm 
The Timekeeper

Unless UNM pulls a miracle against Tulsa today I'm giving up college football. They sucked so bad at Texas A & M last week it was disgusting, true, they do have a brand new coach, but really...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

Since UM won yesterday, I have now resigned myself that we will have a sleazebag coach for the rest of his life or until he retires, no matter what sorts of violations come down in the program. :( Winning coaches, no matter how buttholish, never get fired. :( :( :( Perhaps it will contribute to Notre Dame gttign rid of their incompetant coach, though?

At least our three rivals - the two minor rivals Notre Dame and Michigan State, and major rival Ohio State, all lost yesterday. That makes it a good day for UM fans. :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:54 pm 
Master Pilot

Had a great trip to Happy Valley last week, even took in the mens varsity soccer game on Sunday - not quite as big a crowd as for Sat's football game....

The Lions beat the Orange(men) pretty easily, 'cuse only scored at the end with 2nd string in

Take on Temple this week, should be another easy win, then the schedule gets tougher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:33 pm 

The Gators didn't have quite the blow-out people were predicting they would have against Tennessee, but I'll take the win anyway.

It was no fun driving near The Swamp to get to and from Rosh HaShanah services yesterday, let me tell you.
I've been having Beorn do all the family driving the last week or so, but since we had to go past The Swamp in the midst of all of the tailgating, and the celebrating after the game, I drove yesterday...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:09 pm 
Lady Scryer

Probably a very good idea - there were probably plenty of drunks on the road if it was in an area with lots of tailgaters! (Or in the case of UF would that be Tailgators)?

Earthy - I think your Penn State will win the Big 10 this year! :D

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:52 pm 

Home Sweet Home...

Gator Town really is a pretty town. Image
...not that you see all that much of it in the above video.

~Avatar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:08 am 
Lady Scryer

I have actually been to Gainesville before. The main thing I can remember is that there would be several streets with the same name (such as 25'th street, 25'th court, 25'th road, 25'th avenue, etc.) and it was really irritating. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:22 am 

Oh yeah!

Not to mention it is all a grid system, so there is NW/NE/SE/SW of each of them.

After living here for a decade, I pretty much have it worked out: Avenues are east/west, streets are north/south with University Avenue the dividing line for north/south and Main Street the dividing line for east/west.

...not that that helps if you need to go to a Drive/Way/Lane/Terrace/Road/Court/Boulevard, etc., etc., etc...

~Avatar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:44 pm 

man...oh man...
All I'll say is b"h that next week is a bye week for the Gators...

~Avatar