[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - '08 Playoffs/Super Bowl Challenge

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: '08 Playoffs/Super Bowl Challenge
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:00 pm 
The Timekeeper

OK, here it all is finally:

Saturday's results:
Very tough defensive struggle won by Matt Stover's FG with 53 secs remaining Ravens 13 Tennessee 10. In a shocker to many AZ D goes wild forces 5 interceptions and 2 fumbles Cardinals 33 Carolina 13 Larry Fitzgerald 166 rec yd 1 TD, Kurt Warner 220 pass yd 2 TDs.
Sunday's results:
FG fest in another tough defensive struggle, but the Eagles took solid control of the 2nd half 23 NYGiants 13. Steelers played some wicked D stopping San Diego's running game cold 35-24 Willie Parker 146 rush yd 2 TDs.

So what have we learned? Except for Pitt not good to be home on the bye and last year's Super Bowl champs are gone. I thought it would be really cool to have both AZ and SD hosting the Championship games, but oh well. I'm actually very proud that my team got where it did this year and will remain a Chargers fan next year.

The scoring was wild this week as Menolly's crazy little same score, computerized average actually paid off and she equaled ALL the points scored this week>164=164! :shock: :shock: :shock: That's never been done before! So she definitely wins the closest of the week and then some! Brush & Crush pretty dam close too missing the AZ and Phi total scores by 1 point, I missed the total week by 2 pts, cali missed the Balt total score by 1pt and Mr. S missed the Phi total score by 1 point. We got Earthy on board this week, but no scores posted, lost kins and cali and Mr. S failed to pick the Sunday games. So if their negative points seem overly inflated, that's why. Like Who Line is it Anyway? we just make the points up as we go along... :P

Current standings:
Mr. S 5-3 -16
Cleburne 5-3 -46
danlo 5-3 -58
B&C 4-4 -30
dd 4-4 -35
bigred 4-2 -101
Earthy 2-2 -164
kins 2-2 -175
Menolly 2-6 -14+10+5 (bonus)=+1
cali 1-5 -133

Championships

Sunday, January 18th
NFC afternoon
Eagles at Cardinals
AFC late
Ravens at Steelers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:09 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:17 pm 
The Timekeeper

I'm picking Eagles and Steelers as well be back with scores later-NFC will prob be high, AFC low...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:31 pm 
Master Pilot

Sunday, January 18th
NFC afternoon
Eagles at Cardinals :arrow: Philadelphia Eagles 30-26
(Even though I,d like Arizona to win )
AFC late
Ravens at Steelers :arrow: Pittsburgh Steelers 20-10

Might be back to change it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:18 pm 
Pilot

Philly 31 - 9

Pittsburgh 20 - 7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:45 pm 
The Timekeeper

Well you know my picks are Philly and Pittz, but here's the story behind the scores: There's a sports reporter on the Albq. Journal staff who tries to predict games and is very often wrong and I find myself disagreeing with him most of the time. This week he's picked AZ and Balt so I'm using his scores in reverse against him:
Eagles 28-21
Pittsburgh 19-16

Take that Bob Christ!!! :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:56 am 
Master Pilot

Pittsburgh 27 -20
A healthy and stoked Willie Parker is the difference in this one.

Tough call, Philly in a coin flip. 31-28, maybe even OT.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:02 pm 
Master Pilot

ARIZONA! :shock: It's early in the second half and I can't believe the thumpin' they're giving Philly! I wish I'd have picked with my heart and not head on this one!

(later)
...Here comes Philly storming back now... Great game!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:38 am 
The Timekeeper

More and more people dropping out, but, hopefully, the faithful will hang till the Super Bowl-which will consist of the Arizona Cardinals against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Sunday results:
The improbable Cards beat Philly 32-25 with Kurt Warner throwing for 279 yd 4 TDs, 3 of those went to Larry Fitzgerald 153 rec yd. Steelers survived a seriously brutal D struggle 23-14 Ben Roethlisberger 255 pass yd 1 TD, key INT for TD by Troy Polamalo.

current standings:
Cleburne 6-4 -54+10=-44 (missed AZ total score by 1)
danlo 6-4 -68
Mr. S 5-3 -16
dd 5-5 -42
B&C 5-5 -57
bigred 4-2 -101
Menolly 3-7 -11
Earthy 2-2 -164
kins 2-2 -175
cali 1-5 -135

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:45 am 
The Timekeeper

Super Bowl

Sunday, Feb. 1st Tampa Bay, Fla
Pittsburgh at Arizona

my pick: Pittz 27-24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 am 
Master Pilot

SUPER BOWL
Arizona 30-23 Pittsburgh (Arizona champions)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:34 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Pittsburgh 24-17

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:21 pm 
Master Pilot

been asleep at the wheel lately...

I actually would have picked the correct teams, but I'm sure my points wouls have been wrong.

Anyhoo - SB pick:

Pittsburgh wins - 26 - 21

Great season for the cards - would not be surprised if they manage to win, just think Pittsburgh defense will be too much for them

:earthy:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:11 pm 
Master Pilot

Steelers...close until a late turnover 31- 20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:27 am 
The Timekeeper

Super Bowl result:
Pittsburgh survives a late Arizona drive with a last minute toe tapping TD catch by MVP Santonio Holmes 131 yd rush, Ben Roethlisberger 256 pass yd 1 TD 27-23. It really was one of the better Super Bowls ever featuring a record setting 100 yd fumble return for a TD by linebacker James Harrison 27-23, Thanks to everyone who participated hope you had fun, see you next August! I'm be compiling a Picks Game, Playoffs/SB Challenge and College Bowl challenge Hall of Fame tomorrow.

final standings:
I guess I won with dd, barely, edging out Cleburne for 2nd-I get closest points of the week as I was not only 1 point off the total score, but one point off the exact score. dd was one point off the total score, as well.
danlo!!! 7-4 -69 +10: -59
dd 6-5 -43
Cleburne 6-5 -47
Earthblood 3-2 -163
Menolly 4-7 -20
----------------------did not finish:
Mr. S 5-3 -16
bigred 4-2 -101
B & C 5-5 -57
kins 2-2 -164
cali 1-5 -135