[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - The Snowy Owl Sports Bar and Grill

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Snowy Owl Sports Bar and Grill
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:12 am 
Master Pilot

I'm guessing this story is "shocking" to the public because it involves a golfer. You never heard such a scandal in the days of Arnie and Jack. Their era seems like it's from a different planet now. Not that I'm here to say it was necessarily a "better" era. Maybe back then people were better able to keep the skeletons in their closet hidden. And they didn't have an insatiable 24/7 news media to deal with.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:08 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:26 am 
Master Pilot

I know little of the specifics about JFK's sexual escapades in the White House, just a general understanding that he was a naughty, naughty man. :lol: It is shocking that he managed to get away with it all. If Kennedy were President today, it might be a very short term. :lol:

(I should make it clear that if I were an American, I wouldn't care what the president did in the privacy of his house, as long as it didn't harm others or negatively affect his job performance. Of course, I'm sure the First Lady would care very much. An unmarried president - man or woman - might make it more acceptable to be fooling around, heheheh...)

I just remembered, former JFK advisor Ted Sorenson was on CBC's the Hour last month. In the course of the interview, Sorenson mentioned that Kennedy inspired fierce loyalty in his staff, which was why there were few (if any) White House "leaks" to the press. That may also explain why Kennedy's sex shenanigans were kept so well under wraps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:56 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, I actually feel the worst about any children involved when their parents play the field. Who knows what problems might lie between the spouses that might lead to the cheating (if any - I honestly think that a lot of wealthy powerful people either think they won't get caught or maybe do not care if they get caught so just follow their impulses rather than think about their partners), but the kids do not deserve the uproar.

And yeah - if someone is single, as far as I know no one cares. Look at Derek Jeter from the Yankees - not just a world class, but a universe class playboy. He's slept his way through most of the Maxim list of the world's most desirable women. Men admire him, and women do not mind his behavior, as they probably would if he were married.

Whereas Alex Rodriguez from the same team is roundly castigated for his playboy behavior - the difference is that he was openly taking his stripper mistress along on road trips when his pregnant wife was at home with a young child.

With Jeter no wife and no kids to be hurt. Big difference in the minds of many/most people.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:50 am 
Lady Scryer

So upset and disgusted by the Detroit Tigers trading away Curtis Granderson, the most decent human being in the sport of baseball, and someone who spends countless hours doing charity work for children and sick people, that I do not know if I can watch or listen to another Tigers game as long as Dombrowski is our GM. Granderson was a gift from God - a few times in a lifetime guy who actually is a positive role model and whose All Star efforts on the field are completely eclipsed by his positive contributions to society off the field.

You do not piss away a gift from God.

The Tigers have just earned a boatload of bad karma, and they will be lucky to sell a quarter of the seats at any non Verlander starts in Comerica next season. Man, did they ever spit on their fans with this boneheaded trade.

All of those years/decades of horrible baseball and all of those high draft picks, and the only two players we got from those high draft picks that are worth anything are Verlander and Granderson (plus Porcello, but he was bit later after the team improved). And now they have thrown away Granderson on prospects other teams have given up on.

All of those years and years of torture and it came down to this????

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

My son has made me feel better about the trade in pointing out that Granderson will now get some of the recognition he deserves by playing for New York. He can be an All Star and a Golden Glover every year from now on. Still breaks my heart for myself and other Tigers fans, though. The Tigers literally just traded away the soul of their team. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:50 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
I should probably ask this in The Cantina but...
...what sort of snacks would everyone like for the Superbowl?
I'm planning on supporting N'awlins, so red beans and rice (I like Mahatma's foil bag version, so that's easy) and some chicken and sausage gumbo will be my mainstays.

But since watching the coverage, if we can get a digital converter box hooked up in time, is an all day affair, I see some nachos and wings gracing the coffee table in the living room at some point.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:56 am 
Lady Scryer

I have had a major craving for tacos for about a week now. So tacos is my answer. :mrgreen:

Red beans and rice does sound good, though. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:41 pm 
Master Pilot

not sure what we're going to have - believe it or not, I am going camping this weekend with the boy scouts (my son)
Leaving tonight, should be home Sunday morning around 9 or so.
Speaking of Snowy Owl Sports!!! Should be some hiking, sledding, snow fort building & snowball fighting going on!!!
Hopefully I'll get enough sleep at camp so I won't fall asleep before or during the game!!!

wings sound good....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:44 pm 
Lady Scryer

That sounds like a ton of fun Earthy! :sky: :sky: :sky:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:41 pm 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
Sure does!
But cold!!!

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:35 pm 
Master Pilot

supposed to be a balmy 20 deg during the day, inthe teens at night...not too bad....

I'm bringing Lord Foul's Bane with me to read - started the re-read on Wed - should be through th 8 books by Oct.....

Have a good week-end everyone!

:earthy:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:29 am 
The Timekeeper

NACHOS, NACHOS, NACHOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sky: :sky: :sky: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:41 am 
Lady Scryer

Congratulations to the New Orleans Saints and their fans on a big Super Bowl victory! I cannot even imagine the parties down in New Orleans right now!

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:15 am 
Lady Scryer

One of the most positive bits of news to come out of horse racing in a long long time other than the great racing mares Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra:

New revolutionary therapy for laminitis - a previously incurable disease that claimed the lives of champions Secretariat and Barbaro, along with uncounted numbers of lesser known horses of all breeds (not just race horses).

A champion race horse named Thorn Song developed laminitis after a serious injury. He was in such a bad way the insurance company paid off on his death benefit, as even their vet said he would have to be put down due to the nature of the disease and the crippling severe pain that was torturing him. The vets tried a last ditch experimental therapy on him at the last minute, and it looks like it is going to give him another chance at living a full and healthy life. 8)

Not to mention possibly save the lives of countless other horses if this pans out. 8)

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next