[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - The Snowy Owl Sports Bar and Grill

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Snowy Owl Sports Bar and Grill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:15 am 
The Timekeeper

And thank gods Cabrerra wasn't chain smoking like he was during his last win on the tour...Agreed Augusta is a beautifully landscaped oasis (as Jim Nance would say) but the club's well known history of elitism and prejudice always make me slightly sick to my stomach.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:11 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, maybe Augusta represents the best and the worst about the sport of golf. The best in its immaculately sculpted course and the genius of its design, and the worst in that elitism you're talking about. I recall some sportswriter saying how, in terms of member exclusivity, even Wimbledon has got nothing on Augusta.

Augusta is a bastion of the "old boys' club" and I don't see that changing anytime soon. According to Wikipedia, Augusta didn't admit a black member until 1990. And female members still aren't allowed. I do find that silly, but that's the thing about being a private golf club: your house, your rules. My impression is that the people who run Augusta are fiercely stubborn and protective of their turf. I think the Martha Burk affair (she launched a public campaign against Augusta's discriminatory membership rules that barred women) showed that Augusta would rather shut down the Masters than submit to the whims of public opinion. That's admirable or reprehensible, depending on your point of view.

I try not to dwell too much on all that, and just enjoy the golf and the spectacular scenery. But I won't argue that Augusta perpetuates the image and attitude that golf is only a sport for the rich (and usually rich men).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:53 pm 
Lady Scryer

You guys have some great points about the long term institutional racism and sexism at that particular course. :(

However, at the tail end of a Michigan winter, I will still take sight of those blooming magnolias, etc. :wink:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:03 pm 
Master Pilot

From spring and the Masters at Augusta to summer and the US Open at Bethpage Black...a more "open" place and tournament than Augusta in every sense of the word. I caught some of the golf, but the rains that swept through Bethpage threw the rounds out of whack. I was pulling for Mike Weir, but it didn't work out for him. An amazing showing by amateur Ricky Barnes, finishing 2nd! That guy's got power and talent with the clubs. Congrats to Lucas Glover for the win, though he's a complete unknown to me as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:22 pm 
The Timekeeper

Glover had never even made the cut to the Open before-it's not just you-most people have never heard of him before...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:42 am 
Lady Scryer

My husband watches most of the major gold tournies, and I know I have never heard of the guy before... :lol: It was really hard trying to keep track of that tournament because of the rain outs. Seemed sometimes that two guys were out on the course at the same time but be in different rounds. :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:09 pm 
Master Pilot

Yes, it got quite confusing. And what an endurance test it must have been for them to have to play right until daylight's end to make up for lost time. Yeah, I know, golf isn't quite the most physically punishing sport out there ( :wink: ) -- but I think I'd be pretty tired myself if I had to walk across soggy mud and grass all day long. And have to hit a silly little white ball along the way. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

I would think it would be miserable to walk that much (not sure how much, other than it would probably be for miles) on that soggy, squicky, muddy ground with more cold rain threatening or actually falling all of the time. :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:14 pm 
Master Pilot

Wimbledon started this week. I've been catching some of the early round action. Went home for lunch and saw Maria Sharapova getting eliminated - a comeback cut short. I'm somewhat of a Sharapova fan, so it was disappointing to see her exit so early.

On the men's side, it's also sad that Rafael Nadal won't be around to defend his title due to injury. Every tennis fan had been looking forward to another Nadal-Federer showdown, after last year's tremendous final.

In other Wimbledon gossip/news, I heard the commentators say there are enormous home crowd expectations for Andy Murray. The financial payoff for him could be huge: they said if he wins, he could pocket 100 million pounds in sponsorship deals. Seeded at #3, Murray's a legitimate shot to win the tournament - and he would become the first Brit in 73 years to do so. I've only seen him in action at last year's US Open, in which he impressively outplayed Nadal in the semis.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:54 am 
Lady Scryer

I am also sad that Nadal is out. :( Takes away from the event this year to have such a good player out.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:10 am 
The Timekeeper

I expect Federer to win it easily. I'm not sure that Nadal's tendinitis is any excuse, perhaps vanity...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:53 am 
Master Pilot

With Andy Murray out (beaten by Andy Roddick), I now expect Federer to win easily too. I predict a straight set victory. I just don't think Roddick can wear down/chase down Federer the way Nadal did last year. I'll grant that if his serve is in top form, Roddick could give Federer some trouble. But Thomas Haas served pretty well against Federer, and Federer still beat him handily in straight sets. Federer is now 49-0 when he wins the first set. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:10 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow. A 4-hour, 5-set marathon with Federer prevailing 16-14 in the 5th set! I admit, I ended up pulling for Roddick. He played magnificently, and not just because of his serve - though that was unbreakable for the whole match, right up until the end. Two unbelievable Wimbledon men's finals in a row.

Federer has now surpassed Pete Sampras for the most Grand Slam titles - 15. Is Federer the greatest of all time? Well, IMO, the greatest accomplishment in tennis remains Rod Laver's winning all four majors in the same year - and he did it twice. So I don't think the debate is over for tennis fans.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:48 pm 
Lady Scryer

That must have been an epic match! I am sorry to have missed it!

And yes - tennis fans (like fans of every sport) will still endlessly debate questions of greatness. :lol:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:36 am 
Master Pilot

Darn it, I totally missed the US Women's Open golf championship. (It played during my Folkfest weekend.) Eun Hee Ji of South Korea won it, with a 20-foot birdie on the final hole, no less! That avoided her having to go to a playoff against Candie Kung of Taiwan.

I did, however, catch the British Open this past weekend. Stewart Cink won it in a playoff against Tom Watson. Oh man did I feel bad for ol' Tom. He had the championship on his putter on the final hole in regulation, but missed it, which forced the playoff. Watson's game fell apart in the playoff; for four rounds, he was solid, but I think his age (59) had simply and cruelly caught up with him after that. It would have been so special - and perhaps the sports story of the year - if Watson had been able to pull off the win. He won at this same course, Turnberry, back in '77: that came to be known as the "Duel in the Sun" in which he and Jack Nicklaus battled to the end, leaving their fellow competitors behind. I have nothing against Stewart Cink - he's a good guy. It wasn't like he stole the championship from Watson - it was Watson who faltered. Cink in the end was the better player. But I suspect this year's Open will be remembered more for Watson's incredible run at the title than for Cink's steady play.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next