[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - baseball 2008 - hangin' with da boys of summer

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: baseball 2008 - hangin' with da boys of summer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:53 am 
Lady Scryer

We have tickets for Saturday, and it should be great! :D 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Tigers and Rays, Duchess. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:17 pm 
Lady Scryer

Your Rays should beat the pants off the Kitties, aTOMic. Your team is good. My team sucks!@ :razz: :razz: :razz:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:41 pm 
The Timekeeper

My team RULES!!! We've swept Boston twice in two weeks, have the best pitching staff and best record in baseball and (I know I can't spell it) we just traded for the awesome Mark Teixeira from the Braves! Go Angels!!!!

In other breaking news Manny Ramirez was just traded to the Dodgers for rookie phenom Jason Bay and others.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:08 pm 
Lady Scryer

I cannot even really talk about baseball right now, after the latest horrible Tigers trade. Over the last two years this team has been ruined by horrible trades. I keep reminding myself that Ilitch rarely fires managers of his sports teams until the season is over...that is the only thing keeping me going right now - that he will clean house over the witner and bring in a new general manager who will obtain and devleop good young players instead of throwing them away on aged short stops who cannot hit or field, dh's who cannot hit and are clubhouse cancers, and guys who cannot pitch and others who might be rbi machines but who are too fat to field or run the bases.

And now this! trading away a past his prime but still pretty good catcher even up for a relief pitcher we once had to trade away because he hates the Tigers and hates Detroit and has already hurt and shafted the team! The night following the day the trade came down, we went into serious extra innings, and every healthy arm in the bull pen (and some injured arms) were used. Then we doubled back to a day game less than twelve hours later. A-hole pitcher did not report. :x Throw in Pudge was a retricted free agent, and we also gave the Yankees two first round draft picks for this jerk and you can see why I am so angry. :x

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:57 pm 
Master Pilot

The Rays made no last minute trades. I think that speaks volumes about what management thinks about the lineup. I expected that we'd try for a right handed bat but I'm cool with it all. I'll be watching this weekend's series with interest.

There are no cakewalks in professional sports. The Tigers have nothing to fear if they play to their abilities and make sound decisions. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

I think you guys (the Rays) will sweep us. We only have one good starting pitcher at the moment, and he is a rookie named Armondo Gallaraga. If he were going up against a normal run of the mill pitcher, he might (and probably would) beat you. Unfortunately, he is matched up with one of your studs, so I doubt we can win his game, either.

The thing is aTOMic, we had a very good team two years ago that made it to the World Series - with promise of good teams year after year after year, as our farm system was stacked with great young players - especially young pitchers. And then they started throwing away nearly all of those great young players on trades for aging or infirm veterans that hurt the team rather than makign the team any better.

Young prospects gone to the Yankees for that racist piece of clubhouse cancer Gary Sheffield - a designated hitter who cannot hit - and they gave him a multimillion dollar multiyear contract on top of it, so we will be stuck paying him millions to strike out and pop up and ground out for at least another year after this one.

The best young pitcher in baseball gone to the Braves along with another great young prospect for an old short stop who cannot hit and cannot field in Renteria. At least by the grace of God we might be rid of Renterria at the end of the season, unless the Tigers are stupid enough to exercise his option (and you can never underestimarte the stupidity of Tigers management). All of which, of course, means that we threw away a great young MLB pitcher (who will probably be the NL rookie of the year) in Jair Jerrjens and another great young player for nothing.

SIX - SIX good young prospects gone to the Marlins for a pitcher who was once OK, but now cannot even play well at single A ball in Dontrelle Willis - and the Tigers gave him a huge multiyear multimillion dollar contract, too. Lets pay him 11 million a year for the next few years to walk batters in Lakeland! And while Miguel Carbreba is an RBI machine, he is too big to run the bases or bend over or move around to field. If he were the DH rather than Sheffeld, it might not be so bad, but got to make room for Gary and his Mendoza line batting average so he will keep his big racist mouth shut! And in the meantime we lose games due to errors by Cabrera and Carlos Guillen, who is trying to play third base with shot knees and who should also be a DH.

And now they threw away a good catcher in Pudge on a relief pitcher who we once had and had to trade away because he hates Detroit and the Tigers. Along with two first round compensatory draft picks.

The only two good trades we made in the same two years were to get rid of terrible relief pitcher Jason Grilli to the Rockies for a single A prospect, and the trade to get Gallaraga from the Rangers - and that was an even up minor league player trade. The Rangers obviously did not know what a gem they had in Armondo.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:30 pm 
Master Pilot

My sister Darlene and her family live near Coldwater south of Battle Creek and Kalamazoo. They are Tigers/Lions fans and would likely agree with your opinions.
It seems a universal truth that as one team declines another ascends and then the cycle begins again. The Tigers are about 5 games out of first place in the division and have posted back to back winning seasons the last two years. There are 50+ games left of the season to work with and nothing is written in stone. There is hope yet. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:27 pm 
The Timekeeper

At least you have Granderson-a very exicting player I should never traded in Fantasy baseball :cry: -at least I got Matt Kemp in the deal who should get even better hitting around new Dodger: Man-Ram...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:36 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:51 am 
The Timekeeper

I agree that Man-Ram is a jerk. I thought they were going to put Guillen at 1st or DH because he was getting so creaky...I guess that's when Gaaa-rey came long and spoiled things. Verlander carried my ass in FB last year-it's hurting me to see this...don't forget my man the priceless and ever smilin' Palcido Polanco! :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:28 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

Ugh. :ick: We finally get a good start from one of our starters - the superb rookie Armando Galarraga - and the idiot relief pitcher we traded Pudge to the Yankees nearly pisses away the game in one inning.

We need a good nickname for him to go with the rest of the bullpen bums. Our other relief pitchers have well known widely used nicknames like Road Kill and Sea Sick (and Sea Sick is the name of our one decent and reliable relief guy Bobby Seay!) and Sir Sh*tbag. I wonder what we'll come up with for this worthless joke? :evil: :evil: :evil:

We traded Pudge for this? We already had a bullpen filled with bad relief pitchers who choke under any sort of pressure and lose games! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Yep. The Rays might have won the last game in any case but it seemed pretty obvious that the Tigers were trying pretty hard to give it away. I appreciate Detroit for wanting to give the Rays a sweep to stay ahead in the AL East but.... :-(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:53 pm 
Lady Scryer

Thankfully I missed most of the game because I was at work. I knew Gallaraga had another magnificent start (if we had a decent bullpen the kid would have somewhere around 15 wins right now!). And I checked the computer and saw the new guy had been really bad. The Tigers forums are arguing on whether his nickname should be "Fartworthy" or "Farnsworthless".

I also saw on a couple of Tigers forums that Fernando Rodney - our so called "closer" - really screwed up. The posters were all saying he has no control and nearly killed someone with a pitch - and that he was so bad the MLB should step in and keep him from pitching, since the Tigers are not willing to do anything about his control issues.

I saw the "highlights" when I got home, and those posters are absolutely right. He could have killed that Ray!

In a hockey game at Joe Louis some years back, a young player named Chris Pronger got hit in just the right place on his chest with a puck, and his eyes rolled up inside his head and his heart stopped. It was horrifying. They brought him back (he is still playing hockey) - but I would think that you could also die if you get hit by an MLB fastball in just the right place on your chest, too. It would just stop your heart, just like what that puck did to Pronger.

The fact that this guy is our "closer" is big proof that Leyland has simply lost it. Earlier this season, this guy had a 135 ERA. Not 1.35. We're talking 135.00 ERA. And he has literally no control over his fastball.

Everyone around here is just hanging on, hoping that Illitch will clear house at the end of the season of all management. And then the great culling of all players who cannot get the job done can begin. :x

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next