[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Fantasy gen. messages--links--conventions--etc...

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fantasy gen. messages--links--conventions--etc...
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:06 pm 
Master Pilot

Feel free 2 list any general Fantasy related announcement on this thread. Like book signings, conventions, Fantasy related links-or any appropriate message that relates 2 Fantasy. Fantasy links 6-19:
G.R.R. Martin:
Andre Norton:
Ursula K. Le Guin:
and if u want 2 read a very cool and scary Fantasy: The Boats of the Glen Carrig, writen in arcaich english by the author of The Nightland, William Hope Hodgson, ONLINE!! go 2: (thanks 2 Nerdanel 4 the lead 2 that great online book!!!)

Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/19/02 9:51:07 am

Post subject: Re: Fantasy gen. messages--links--conventions--etc...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:27 pm 
Master Pilot

As I've said in other threads we have alot of great Sci-Fi and Fantasy authors in New Mexico. We also have cool little convention every year called Bubonicon in August. Last year S. R. Donaldson attended, un42nately I couldn't make it--This year George R. R. Martin (NM) and Walter Jon Williams (NM) are attending along w/; Ester Friesner (guest of honor who wrote MIB2 and Demon Blues), Spider and Jeanne Robinson, Daniel Abraham, Doug Beason, Nancy Varian Berbich, Yvonne Coats, Terry England, Jane Lindskold (NM), Vic Millan, Pati Nagle (NM), Scott Phillips, John Maddox Roberts, S. M. Stirling, Fred Saberhagen (NM), L. Neil Smith, Melinda Snodgrass (writter and story editor of STNG who lives in Albuquerque)and Robert E. Vardeman (NM). Tho the list, anually, tends 2 b more Sci-Fi than Fantasy, Smith, Saberhagen, Vardeman, The Robinsons and Stirling being the most recognizable Sci-Fi writters--Millan, England and Martin are great Fantasy author additions, and Saberhagen gets in2 Fantasy a bit w/his vampire and "swords" series...Lindskold, Williams and Snodgrass are some of the folks Martin has acknowledged in his A Song of Ice and Fire series. It's Aug 23-25:

Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/29/02 5:25:36 pm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:38 pm 
Master Pilot

C the general G. R. R. Martin thread, in his forum for my review/take on his reading at Bubonicon. It was awesome!!!! The true human being is the meaning of the universe. He is a dancing star. He is the exploding singularity with infinite possibilities. <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:16 am 
Master Pilot

Elizabeth Haydon has a decent site

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:30 pm 
Master Pilot

C.S. Lewis' site....cant remember the address, its Into the Wardrobe, the link is on my forum... Further up, and further in!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:17 am 
Master Pilot

Ok - dumb question time...

What is ASOIAF?

What is a Fiduciary?

What does Fenestering mean?

I need to know.....

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 3:15 pm 
Pilot

1)A Song of Ice and Fire, series by GRR Martin.

2)Fiduciary "of or held in trust" usually in reference to money, but I adapted it for my own use.

3)I don't know. The word is not in the dictionary.

Cheers <i>Edited by: Fiduciary of the Wood  at: 10/27/02 8:16:00 am
</i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:09 pm 
Master Pilot

Fenestering is the complex mathematical art Pilots use to traverse their Lightships through the multitude of space/time layers in the Manifold. --This is the def. from the Neverness glossary in Falling 2 Neverness: David Zindell--while I can't 4ce u guys 2 read the best book ever written u can probably find all the answers 2 words u don't understand on this site like Fenestering, Manifold, Heaume..etc in the glossary--that's y I created it--It's in the "Journeymen die" thread in said 4rum.
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.
Lyall Watson
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:14 am 
Master Pilot

Earthy is probably the 4th person to ask the fenestering question. Life is a game, play it well, play it wisely. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:54 pm 
Master Pilot

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the first 'dum-dum' (to quote one of my other favorite fantasy characters, The Great Kazoo). I will have to find the reference, so I can fond these meanings on my own...thanks for the answers anyhow fellow pilots.. <i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 3:36 am 
Master Pilot

its a made up word .. is all Earthy .. its the license a creative genuis ie: Tolkien for example takes in inventing new vocabulary/language .. Zindell obviously liked 'fenestering' .. and I must say in Zindell's books he is inventive of a wide range of concepts not only language.

No need to feel bad for not knowing its meaning .. its not a real word .. just like Pinocchio (sp?) is not a real boy

health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:40 pm 
Master Pilot

So Sky, youre reading Neverness? Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:57 am 
Master Pilot

indeedy doodie!! .. well started only .. havent finished yet!!

I finally gave into the intense harrassment and pressure our noble Time Keep places on all he comes in contact with to read the dang book!!

and it is surprisingly excellent!! health and healing<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:38 am 
Master Pilot

Indeedy doodie??!!

Foamy bought a Neverness book while in England, but neither of us have read it yet...

~MsMary~

Last edited by MsMary on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:39 pm 
Master Pilot

How is Foamy? Hasnt been around... Never did He make two things the same; never did He utter one word twice. After earths, not better earths but beasts; after beasts not better beasts, but spirits. After a falling, not a recovery, but a new creation, not a third but the mode of change itself is changed forever. Blessed be He!<i></i>