Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: what we're reading
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:09 am 
Lady Scryer

I am in the middle of Stone of Farewell, the second book in Tad Williams's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. When I'm finished I am planning on immersing myself in the next three books of Zindell's Neverness series. Go Danlo!
My husband, Californiababy, is reading a history book called April, 1865, the Month That Saved America.
My older son, Bulldog, has finally broken down under the constant pressure of hearing his little brother and mother constantly discussing Tolkein (in Gollum language, my precious), and is reading Fellowship of the Ring. He is also working on an atlas from national Geographic called Wonders of the Ancient World.
My little son, Sunshine, who is only ten, has just finished reading LOTR for the fourth time and is now reading a big fat biography of Tolkein. He was working on the Sil for a while, but got bogged down in the middle and has put it aside for now.
They are both eagerly awaiting Harry Potter 5, now that there is a release date. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: Sil!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:13 pm 
Master Pilot

Geeze! The Silmarillion is very complex book 4 a 10 year old 2 b reading! I am totally impressed! U go Sunshine! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: what we're reading
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:11 pm 
Master Pilot

The kid's obviously a genius! Further up, and further in! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Sil!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

He just likes Tolkein. Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: Re: what we're reading
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:19 am 
Master Pilot

I'm re-reading Abhorsen. Yes, I'm aware that it just came out. I read it before it came out.

~Foamy~ <i></i>

Post subject: Reading right now..
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:00 pm 
Pilot

I put down Ombria in Shadow (for now), half way through, and picked up (non fantasy, but..) to Kill a Mockingbird. I'm almost through with it. It's a good book. <i></i>

Post subject: Oh, and!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:04 pm 
Pilot

I bought, through Amazon, Neverness, and (through my bookstore) A Song of Ice and Fire, the first one. Both purchaces due to what I've heard here.. They are not on my immediately to be read list, but there's on there somewhere, someday, maybe over summer when I have less text books to read.. Just thought I'd mention that, since it was this site's influence which moved me to make said purchaces. <i></i>

Post subject: Reading Right Now
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:47 pm 
Pilot

I finished to Kill a Mockingbird, it was good. I just picked up the Catcher in the Rye, it's good so far.. I know these aren't fantasy, but it's what I'm reading! So. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Oh, and!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:35 am 
Lady Scryer

To Kill a Mockingbird is very good.
I hope you enjoy Neverness and Game of Thrones when you get to them! Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: Currently reading...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:20 pm 
Pilot

I recently bought the Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. LeGuin. I intend to start it today. <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Reading Right Now
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 6:44 am 
Master Pilot

slowly plodding thru A Game of Thrones. Also picked up A Wizard's First Rule & started that. Read first few pages of Eddings husband & wife collaboration - can't think of name right now <i></i>

Post subject: I'm reading...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:21 am 
Master Pilot

I'm currently rereading the Dragonriders of Pern for the 32nd time. I'm in the third book, the White Dragon. It's really good. <i></i>

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:50 am 
Pilot

Currently looking for a fantasy series comparable to A Song of Ice and Fire(#1!). Any suggestions? <i></i>

Post subject: Re: What Fantasy r u reading right now?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:43 am 
Master Pilot

Huh, well I've never read ASOIAF, but I can certainly recommend some fantasy (considering I don't know what else you've read! )

Well, The Chronicles of Amber may have been my favorite fantasy (by Roger Zelazny) if I hadn't read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephen Donaldson. Then of course there's Lord of the Rings, I have more, just ask! He whose desires have been throttled,
who is independent of root,
whose pasture is emptiness-
signless and free-
his path is as unknowable
as the of birds across the heavens.
Dhammapada (93)

Further up, and further in! <i></i>

Post subject: Re: I'm reading...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:56 am 
Lady Scryer

Krptonite, I haven't read it myself, but a lot of people at the Martin board where I am a member are very excited about a new book called The Briar King. Hope this helps! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next