[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What Fantasy are you reading right now?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Fantasy are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:32 am 
Lady Scryer

Not sure how long it has been out in the UK - here in the US it came out on Oct. 18. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:07 pm 
The UnTitled

Hmmm...I better go ask a bookstore if they know when we get it...we usually get the UK edition...maybe it'll be sooner than I feared.

--A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:55 pm 
Master Pilot

Finally picked up the last in Garth Nix's Keys of the Kingdom juve series, Lord Sunday. Then I was just browsing around on my kindle and realized the next Covenant book is out, so have Against All Things Ending on my list next. How the heck did I miss that?????????? Boy, I feel dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:40 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

I've got AATE on my plate like everyone else. :D

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:54 pm 
Lady Scryer

I was at the grocery store today and saw Sanderson and Jordan's new Towers of Midnight. Thing snuck out when everyone was reading SRD's latest book and no one was looking. :wink:

I will have to download it later.

just checked the Amazon reviews. for the people who read the book, the majority are positive. every one star review was because the book will not be available as an e book for another three months. :?

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:07 pm 
The UnTitled

Awesome!

--A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:58 am 
Lady Scryer

I guess there was quite a fight between Sanderson and Jordan's widow on the release of the e book - or so the rumors at Amazon claim. Sanderson wanted a simultaneous release of the e book with the hardcover. Mrs. Jordan did not want the e book released until the mass market paperback release in a year. The three month lag is the compromise. :?

But yeah, the reviews from the people who actually read the book are generally pretty positive. :)

About to start reading a little book called The Maidens War. Seems to me the author sometimes goes by an alter ago of Aliantha. :wink: :D

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:33 pm 
Lady Scryer

Finished up Aliantha's The Maiden's War and it was very good, though definitely not for children or tweens.

Makes me want to head down to Pipestem in West Virginia for a week of camping in the mountains :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Now reading Xar's North Star. So far it is good.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

North Star did turn out to be very good.

So in the past few months I have read Lord Foul's Flat Earth, Aliantha's The Maiden's War, and Xar's North Star. I do not know if you could find three books that could have been more different within the same genre - but all three were very good. :bravo:

I got the cheapo e book copy of Clan of the Cave Bear - I wanted to reread that series before the next (and last) book comes out and I cannot find my old mass market paperbacks of the fist two books (I suspect they have been lost in the many moves over the many years). I was pleasantly surprised that it contained an excerpt from the forthcoming Land of the Painted Caves. That partial chapter had more action packed into it than all of Shelters of Stone. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I also realized that I cannot remember who any of the characters introduced in Shelters are. :oops: :oops: :oops: Which reinforces the fact that I have to reread this particular series. :wink:

In case you are wondering what was in the excerpt:

Anyway, next up is Clan of the Cave Bear. 8)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:47 pm 
Lady Scryer

Perhaps a third to a half of the way through with Clan. It has been many years since I read it. Glad to report that it is still a very good read after all of this time. :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:22 pm 
Master Pilot

I think I picked up Clan of the Cave Bear when the Reader Store offered it as a freebie. I may have to re-read it, too. And I'm glad you liked my book, Duchess. :) I may have to plan a trip to Pipestem next spring, as well -- it's probably too late this year for camping in the mountains without 4-season gear...

My books:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:56 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:19 pm 
Lady Scryer

The Valley of Horses

First time I have read it through in years as well. The Ayla storyline is a great adventure/survival story. While I enjoy the various cultures the brothers meet in their storyline, I have never cared much for Jondalar.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:55 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
I always preferred Thonolon over Jondalar...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:51 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 54  Next