Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: What Fantasy are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 7:42 pm 
Master Pilot

The last Fantasy I read was The Golden Staircase by Hannes Bok a very cool and weird book that I would love to write a sequel to. Right now I have a huge list of Fantasy books to read including The High House by James Stoddard & A Game of Thrones by G. R. R. Martin--but first on my list is rereading The Silmarillion. I've only read it once in 1980--I snuck into the bathroom of my parents apt. in NYC and couldn't stop reading for 3hrs! :P Anyway I've started What are you reading right now? threads in Gen. Sci-Fi, Horror and The Manifold--so what Fantasy are you reading right now?--write a review--recommend some others!

Edited by: danlo60 at: 8/7/06 8:28 pm

Post subject: Re: What Fantasy r u reading right now?
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:00 pm 
Master Pilot

The most recent fantasy book I have read is Sabriel, by Garth Nix, an Australian writer. It is part of a trilogy, the second book of which is called Lirael. The third book, Abhorsen, is yet to be published.

Since I had already read the first two books, this was actually a re-reading. Garth Nix uses some elements of magic and fantasy that have been used before, but he uses them in new, and, I think, interesting ways.

For a full description of these books, see the new thread on Garth Nix which I have started in this forum.

~MsMary~

Last edited by MsMary on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:39 am 
Master Pilot

Still reading the Sci-Fi Hyperion but also scanning 3 of the 6 Covenant books 2 figure out if the Bloodguard or the Haruchai ever ate anything: a research project 4 Kevin's Watch! The Bloodguard admit to subsisting on aliantha berries--but nothing is said of the Haruchai in the last 3 books--we have 2 assume they WERE eating when nobody was looking!

<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/8/02 9:42:18 pm</i>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:05 pm 
Master Pilot

Thanks 2 a great link by Nerdanel--which u can find in the Gen. Fantasy Links topic above--I'm reading the Boats of the Glen Carrig off the net right now--by the author of The Nightland, William Hope Hodgson. I wonder if he's related 2 the author of The Secret Garden and Little Lord Flauntenroy? Frances Hodgson Burnett? She wrote in the 1890s/1910s an he wrote 1920+, hmmmm....

<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/10/02 9:00:45 pm</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:59 am 
Master Pilot

Well now that I'm done with Lord Foul's Bane I have started to read part of Unfinished Tales by JRRT. After that I suppose I'll go and get the first Erikson or two and the next two TC books. What crazy person watches soccer at four in the mornin?<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:14 am 
Master Pilot

Almost done w/Hyperion--and read the 1st chapt. of The High House by James Stoddard--already VERY in2 it (BerenC7!) "what's behind the green door?!" Here's my current Fantasy reading list:
The High House
A Game of Thrones
The Silmarrilion
The Dragon Waiting Mathematics is a game. It's pieces are the axioms we create, and it's rules our logic. That mathematics is occasionally useful to mechanics and pilots is accidental -Mahavira Lal, third Lord Cantor<i></i>

Post subject: What's behind the Green Door ?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:21 pm 
Master Pilot

Danlo -

I can't tell you, but by now you'll probably know anyway. Glad you like it.

As for me it's John M Ford, Jack Whyte's Skystone and Zindell's Lighstone. Aure entuluva !<i></i>

Post subject: Re: What's behind the Green Door ?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:31 pm 
Master Pilot

BC7- Skystone is a pretty cool book. But just wait til you get to The Singing Sword and The Eagle's Brood, both are great books. What crazy person watches soccer at four in the mornin?<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:34 pm 
Master Pilot

King Mudd -

I'm a total Arthur fruit and nut case. But there's good and bad Arthur fiction. So far Jack Whyte's shaping up rather good. If a double decker bus, kills the both of us To die by your side is such a heavenly way to die <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:41 am 
Master Pilot

Yea I like it lot b/c Whyte can piece it together without romanticizing it so much and making magic such a huge part of it. He makes it very realistic to say the least. "I say the right things but act the wrong way, I like it right here but I can not stay. I watch the tv forget what I'm told, well I am to young and they are too old. I'll make it you see, I'm never so pleased, pretend to be nice tho I can be mean. I missd the last bus, I'll take the next train. I'll try but you see, its hard to explain." Hard to Explain, The Strokes<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:48 am 
Pilot

LOTR, Silmarillion and The Essential
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:52 pm 
Master Pilot

First chapter of The Silmarillion. Supposed to have a discussion about it today! Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/19/03 12:24 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:27 pm 
Pilot

Your late! We all ready started discussing
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:42 am 
Master Pilot

<b> Well, I HOPE you were kidding! You didn't see me list where the discussion was taking place. Could have been a Tolkien gathering at Fid's house!
:</b> Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:22 pm 
Pilot

There was a gathering here but you were not invited Theo. Nah, I'm just kidding, there really was a meeting. No, what I meant was there WAS a meeting....no, meeting here was. Errr....meet here no you
<i></i>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 54  Next