[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - What Fantasy are you reading right now?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Fantasy are you reading right now?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:43 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Now, I'm about 100 pages into the 3d and final Mistborn book. They're really good reads.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:13 pm 
Lady Scryer

I really liked Mistborn! Wonderful and very unique magic system in that world! I think Sanderson has some sort of novella set in that world coming out in the next few months? :)

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

They're really good books, kind of like TCTC, but without the prophecy at the beginning that tells you all the mistakes TC is going to make during the books. There's a lot of mystery in the books.

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:18 pm 
Master Pilot

Duchess, I'm avoiding your Mieville spoiler... ;)

Saw somebody on the bus today who was reading the new Jean Auel. She had the same "meh" reaction as y'all have. So I'll wait for the paperback (or the library!)...

My books:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:36 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:56 pm 
Master Pilot

steven Erikson midnight Tides :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:35 am 
Master Pilot

A book behind you, Cleburne. :D

I'm reading House of Chains

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:10 pm 
Master Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:10 pm 
Master Pilot

Terry Pratchett's "Jingo."

My books:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:11 pm 
Blood Tea Chugger

Reading the latest Dresden Files, and it's a hoot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:27 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:42 am 
Lady Scryer

Some of the stuff I have read lately:

A Dance With Dragons by George RR Martin. Well written, but am truly worried that the author will not be able to finish the series in only two additional books given the very slow rate of plot progression for one major character in particular. :?

Naamah's Blessing by Jacqueline Carey. The third book in her third trilogy set in Terre d'Ange, the France of an alternate world. Unfortunately, either the world or the author seems to be getting tired with this trilogy and this book in particular. :( I really enjoyed the first two trilogies (the ones with Kushiel in the title), this one not so much...

Kitty's Big Trouble by Carrie Vaughn. Latest in her series of urban fantasy about a werewolf and radio DJ named Kitty. One of the few urban fantasy series I still read. Enjoyed it. Might be mental popcorn, but dammit it is gourmet mental popcorn with lots of real buttah! :mrgreen:

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. Latest in his Dresden Files urban fantasy series. Loved it! :hearts: This is a series which only gets better with each book!

Reread of The Maidens' War by Lynne Cantwell. Sensitive and well written first novel which masterfully weaves together the story of a West Virginia girl in the 1980's with an old Czech legend from around a thousand years ago. High recommend. :)

Trying to make up my mind whether to read the latest Patricia McKillip novel or one of the Hugo books I haven't read yet next. Will probably say "to heck with it" and go shopping at Trader Joe's instead. :wink:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:21 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

Finally decided to suck it up and start a re-read of A Game of Thrones. It's not bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:02 pm 
Master Pilot

Thank you, Duchess, your check is in the mail. :lol: (Seriously, thanks!)

I enjoyed the new Kitty book too. :) Still plowing through ADWD -- about halfway done right now.

Totally forgot about the new McKillip -- what's wrong with me?? Gotta go and find that...

My books:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfus. Same strengths and weaknesses of the first book in the series (The Name of the Wind). Rothfus is wonderful at stringing words together in a very pleasing way. So pleasing it is sometimes hard to realize that his books are very padded with unimportant filler and have such a slow plot progression that it makes Robert Jordan's WOT look like Usain Bolt (that incredible Jamaican runner) in comparison. :wink: :lol: Well, that and his main character is too good at too many things, which makes me wonder if he is an idealized stand-in avatar for the author. :wink: But at the same time his writing does not progress plotwise it is so pleasing that you hang onto every darned word and have a hard time putting the book down. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thrilling and frustrating simultaneously. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54  Next