[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Daniel Abraham-A Shadow in Summer -and short stories

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Daniel Abraham-A Shadow in Summer -and short stories
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:35 am 
Master Pilot

According to Jay, at FantasyBookSpot and here at the Hangar, Daniel Abraham is making his "novel" debut with A Shadow in Summer. Apparently it marks a very promising start to a fresh fantasy series. He's written alot of good short stories and hangs with some great writers and editors (Gardner Dozios is, like, his best friend), like: George R. R. Martin and contributes to the "mosiac" Wild Cards novels with Jane Linkskold, Sage Walker, Yvonne Coates, Melinda Snodgress (STNG) and Walter Jon Williams (all from New Mexico, btw... ).

I have met him twice at Bubonicon (the NM Sci-Fi/Fantasy convention) and have crossed paths with him at the Con for 4 years. And while I've actually read some of his short stories, without knowing it, I've really had no idea who he was and what he wrote. Well, here's to the birth of another great NM fantasy writer (I think you may know Roger Zelazny and Steven R. Donaldson too... )

Current Works
The Long Price Quartet -- a four book fantasy series -- is getting processed by your friends and mine at Tor. The first book, "A Shadow in Summer," has been accepted by them and is somewhere in the grand guignol of copyediting and being sent around for cover blurbs. The second book, "Winter Cities," is being read over by my editor now.
The collaborative novella "Shadow Twin" is going to appear as a reprint in Asimov's, a chapbook from Subterranian Press, and in an upcoming edition of Best Short SF Novels.
Leviathan Wept has been chosen for Gardner Dozois' Year's Best Science Fiction anthology. I am indeed stoked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not So Current Works
"Mixing Rebecca" The Silver Web #13 1996
"Veritas" Absolute Magnitude Summer 1998
"Jaycee" Asimov's December 1999
"Chimera 8" Vanishing Acts (anthology) 2000
"Tauromachia" Event Horizon (web site)& Asimov's November/December 2000 (with Walter Jon Williams, Sage Walker and Michaela Roessner)
"As Sweet" Realms of Fantasy December 2001
"Exclusion" Asimov's February 2001
"A Good Move in Design Space" Bones of the World (anthology) 2001
"The Lesson Half Learned" Asimov's May 2001
"Gandhi Box" Asimov's January 2002
"The Apocrypha According to Cleveland" The Silver Web #15 2002
"Ghost Chocolate" Asimov's August 2002
"The Mechanism of Grace" The Infinite Matrix (web site)
"Father Henry's Little Miracle" Wild Cards: Deuces Down (anthology) 2002
"The Bird of Paradise" Asimov's June 2003 (with Susan Fry)
"Pagliacci's Divorce" F&SF December 2003
"An Amicable Divorce" The Dark (anthology) 2003
"Shadow Twin" Scifi.com Summer 2004 (with Gardner Dozois and George RR Martin)
"Leviathan Wept" Scifi.com Summer 2004
"Flat Diane" F&SF October/November 2004

(pilfered from danielabraham. com)
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/11/06 1:15 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Daniel Abraham-A Shadow in Summer -and short stories
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:05 am 
Pilot

A Shadow in Summer is excellent, Abraham creats a society that'ssecondary form of (in some ways primary) communication is through poses, and the magic comes from 'andats' which are natural powers or forces) given shape by poets who can successfully bind them.

I have an interview scheduled with him, and a review that will probably be up in February.

Excellent start to a series. The Bodhisattva

Fantasybookspot.com

My interview this week: Kelly Link
<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:08 pm 
Pilot

Hey Danlo! Just wanted to let you know I interviewed Abraham, and up my review a Shadow in Summer The Bodhisattva

Fantasybookspot.com

My interview this week: Daniel Abraham
<i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:02 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:16 am 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image