Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Susanna Clarke ~ Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:28 am 
Lady Scryer

I picked this book up a few months ago, due to its near universal praise and its various award nominations.

Unfortunately, it is the size of a doorstop or a cinder block (800 pages or thereabouts in hardcover) and I simply haven't had time to pick it up and start reading it.

I have decided that the time has come. Tomorrow I will begin my journey through an alternate history of a Europe where magic is used during the Napoleanic Wars!

I am actually looking forward to it ~ I have been told by various people that this is a book to savor and slowly enjoy.

The reviews:
Quote:
Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
It's 1808 and that Corsican upstart Napoleon is battering the English army and navy. Enter Mr. Norrell, a fusty but ambitious scholar from the Yorkshire countryside and the first practical magician in hundreds of years. What better way to demonstrate his revival of British magic than to change the course of the Napoleonic wars? Susanna Clarke's ingenious first novel, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, has the cleverness and lightness of touch of the Harry Potter series, but is less a fairy tale of good versus evil than a fantastic comedy of manners, complete with elaborate false footnotes, occasional period spellings, and a dense, lively mythology teeming beneath the narrative. Mr. Norrell moves to London to establish his influence in government circles, devising such powerful illusions as an 11-day blockade of French ports by English ships fabricated from rainwater. But however skillful his magic, his vanity provides an Achilles heel, and the differing ambitions of his more glamorous apprentice, Jonathan Strange, threaten to topple all that Mr. Norrell has achieved. A sparkling debut from Susanna Clarke--and it's not all fairy dust. --Regina Marler

From Publishers Weekly
The drawing room social comedies of early 19th-century Britain are infused with the powerful forces of English folklore and fantasy in this extraordinary novel of two magicians who attempt to restore English magic in the age of Napoleon. In Clarke's world, gentlemen scholars pore over the magical history of England, which is dominated by the Raven King, a human who mastered magic from the lands of faerie. The study is purely theoretical until Mr. Norrell, a reclusive, mistrustful bookworm, reveals that he is capable of producing magic and becomes the toast of London society, while an impetuous young aristocrat named Jonathan Strange tumbles into the practice, too, and finds himself quickly mastering it. Though irritated by the reticent Norrell, Strange becomes the magician's first pupil, and the British government is soon using their skills. Mr. Strange serves under Wellington in the Napoleonic Wars (in a series of wonderful historical scenes), but afterward the younger magician finds himself unable to accept Norrell's restrictive views of magic's proper place and sets out to create a new age of magic by himself. Clarke manages to portray magic as both a believably complex and tedious labor, and an eerie world of signs and wonders where every object may have secret meaning. London politics and talking stones are portrayed with equal realism and seem indisputably part of the same England, as signs indicate that the Raven King may return. The chock-full, old-fashioned narrative (supplemented with deft footnotes to fill in the ignorant reader on incidents in magical history) may seem a bit stiff and mannered at first, but immersion in the mesmerizing story reveals its intimacy, humor and insight, and will enchant readers of fantasy and literary fiction alike.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Susanna Clarke ~ Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:39 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, I read the first few chapters this morning and so far I am very pleased. It is set in Napoleanic War/Regency Era Britain, and the author writes as if she is working within that time period.

She is charming and witty, and it is filled with footnotes filled with all sorts of interesting little side stories.

It might be a difficult read if you are not used to the language used in that era, but as a long-time Jane Austen fan, I am completely delighted.

I feel very lucky - two unusual and first rate fantasy books in a row for me now, between this and the last one I read (Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian which I started a thread for down in the horror forum). ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:00 am 
Master Pilot

I Can Read With My Eyes Closed! Skipped ANY spoilers-I have been dying to read this book for the last five months (thanks to Jay at Bookspot.com) *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 12/29/05 11:01 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:54 am 
Lady Scryer

Well, there were some minor spoilery types of things in the Amazon reviews, but I do not believe I had any in what I had said? So I think you're pretty safe if you do not read those reviews.

As I said, I feel very lucky to have read/to be in the midst of two such intelligent and unusual and well written fantasy books in a row as this Clarke book and Kostova's The Historian. Or maybe that's just because I had the misfortune of reading a couple of books by Jordan lately to contrast them with, in all of his mediocrity (though in truth, Knife of Dreams is one of Jordan's better efforts in many years).

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is just plain charming. Though it does help if you have a familiarity with the manners, cultural mores, and important historical figures of Regency Era England...or just familiarity with the sort of language in use then, with Jane Austen being the foremost example.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:31 pm 
Pilot

I know it's getting redunant, but this was the best book published in 2004 as far as I was considered, and earned my Hugo vote last year.

Fantasy doesn't get much better, this debut is of absurdly assured quality. A joy to read. The Bodhisattva

Fantasybookspot.com

My interview this week: Kelly Link
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:40 pm 
Master Pilot

Black Jade is a BIG book, but I'm trying hard to get to this one and, of course A Feast for Crows! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:43 pm 
Lady Scryer

This is a huge book - and that is the main reason I put off reading it as long as I did. I decided to read it now because I have a three day weekend for the New Year and a four day weekend for Martin Luther King Day coming up in a couple of weeks. With usually working so many hours, that's about as good as it gets. And as much as I hate having a bad cold, it does give me the best possible reason to quietly read and rest.

But as soon as you find time, Danlo -- this one really is charming and delightful. As Jay Tomio said - it is a joy. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: susanna clarke
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:18 pm 
Lady Scryer

I just finished reading Susanna Clarke's short story collection The Ladies of Grace Adieu and I loved it.

Most of the stories are set in the world of Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell and are very bit as charming. The one exception is set in the world of Neil Gaiman's Stardust, which another fantasy world that I love.

I would recommend this to anyone who loved her novel. <i></i>