Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: heehee
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:29 am 
Pilot

I was reading some of the posts down closer to the bottom, and I just want to say that the Sabriel series is much better than Harry Potter. Nix created a more elaborate story with more elaborate worlds and more elaborate characters. I love those books, and the minute I get home from visiting my cousin I am getting Abhorsen. I finished Lireal two days ago, and I CANT WAIT till Abhorsen comes out!! heehee. and I hope mogget doesn't really die. he cant die, can he? wouldn't he have to be sent to death by a necromancer or Abhorsen, I cant remember. too bad. I'll check later. I'm so glad I found a place where there are other people that love these books! by the way, does anyone here happen to play neopets.com? <i></i>

Post subject: Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:18 pm 
Pilot

I aggree with Mary, I mean the bells are defiately part of the charter. Why wouldn't they be they're the instuments of the Abhorsen.

These books rock the best I've ever read. Do u agree?

Does the walker choose the path or the path the walker
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:27 pm 
Master Pilot

These books are among my favorites.

I think the world created in this trilogy is very interesting, and I have been recommending the books since I read the first one. Very worthwhile reading, and don't be scared off by the "Young Adult" label, cause I was anything but a young adult when I read them and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"

Post subject: New Old Kingdom Board
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:57 pm 
Pilot

Hey all.

Fans of Nix's books set in the Old Kingdom may be interested to know that there's a new board dedicated to the trilogy. You can find it at pub150.ezboard.com/bbelisaere
<i></i>

Post subject: The Keys to the Kingdom - new Nix series!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:33 am 
Master Pilot

Mr. Monday, a new book by Garth Nix, came out this fall.

It's the first of a 7-book series called The Keys to the Kingdom. The other books will be called Grim Tuesday, Drowned Wednesday, Sir Thursday, Lady Friday, Superior Saturday, Lord Sunday.

Each book name is also the name of a being. According to part of the description of the series at Garth Nix's website, "These seven beings are the Trustees of the Architect, an entity who essentially created everything that we know as the universe. The Architect disappeared ten thousand years ago, leaving a Will behind, which the seven Trustees chose not to execute. Instead they broke the Will into pieces and scattered them across time and space. Mister Monday begins as one of these fragments of the Will escapes, and being sentient, seeks to implement the instructions it carries."

I am not going to include the rest of the description, because it basically gives away the first couple chapters, and I personally rather prefer finding out what's going on from reading the book, so don't want to spoil it for others.

I very much enjoyed the first book and am eagerly awaiting the rest of the series.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Sabriel, Lirael, and other Garth Nix Books
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:59 am 
Lady Scryer

I am reading Sabriel now, avoided most of this thread like the plague in fear of spoilers...but wanted to say that I am enjoying the book so far. The magic system, involving the bells and runes and necromancy seems to be very unique and very interesting. And I like Mogget! ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell

Perhaps I'll come for you myself some night. You ought to see me...my fur is white now, pale as snow,but the stature, the majesty, the power, those have not left me...We are the direwolves, the nightmares who haunt your racial memories, the dark shapes circling endlessly beyond the light of your fires.~George R.R. Martin<i></i>

Post subject: Re: The Keys to the Kingdom - new Nix series!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:32 pm 
Master Pilot

Mogget totally rocks!

Glad you are enjoying the book so far, Duchess.

Post subject: Re: Sabriel, Lirael, and other Garth Nix Books
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:37 pm 
Lady Scryer

I very much enjoyed the Abhorsen books. The magic system with the bells and runes and charter was very unique. And I would agree with you MsMary that many people of all ages would enjoy them, not only young adult readers. And besides, Mogget was super cool!

I noticed today at the bookstore that the first two books of his new series are now out...the Monday book and the Tuesday book... ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:07 pm 
Lady Scryer

Here is the description from the back of Mister Monday:

Quote:On the first day there was mystery. Arthur Penhaligon is not supposed to be a hreo. He is, in fact, supposed to die an early death. But then his life is saved by a key shaped like the minute hand of a clock. Arthur is safe - but his world is not. Along with the key comes a plague brought by bizarre creatures from another realm. A stranger named Mister Monday, his avenging messengers with blood stained wings, and an army of dog - faced Fetchers will stop at nothing to get the key back - even if it means destroying Arthur and everything around him. Desperate, Arthur ventures into a mysterious house - a house that only he can see. It is in this house that Arthur must unravel the secrets of the key - and discover his true fate.

and here is a description of Grim Tuesday:

Quote:On the second day, there was darkness. Arthur Penhaligon didn't think he would ever have to return to the very strange house that nearly killed him on Monday - the house that contains a fantastical and sinister realm inside. But the next day brings new challenges - in the form of an enemy named Grim Tuesday, who threatens the safety of both Arthur's family and his world. Arthur must retrieve the Second Key from from Grim Tuesday in order to save everything - an adventure that will force him to steal a Sunship, survive a very weird work camp, befriend a bearlike spirit, and fight the void Nithlings. And even after all that, he will still have to venture into the scarey Far Reaches for an ultimate showdown. The stakes are high. And time is ticking. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Keys to the Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:05 am 
Master Pilot

Quote:I noticed today at the bookstore that the first two books of his new series are now out...the Monday book and the Tuesday book...

Arrrgghh!!! I went looking for Grim Tuesday today, cause some people at Readerville said they had gotten it, and neither Borders nor B&N had it.

"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:46 pm 
Lady Scryer

I had seen them both at Borders last week.
They had it on the tables in front with the new releases, and in the YA section, as his publisher for this series (at least in the US) is Scholastic, though the descriptions do not sound like "kiddy" books at all...
Well, his Abhorsen series was classified as YA, too, though I think it can be very happily read by people of all ages... ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Keys to the Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:55 pm 
Master Pilot

I have acquired and read Grim Tuesday over the past month. It will be interesting to see what happens on Wed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

I guess our discussion about Drowned Wednesday was lost in the hacker attack.

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

I really enjoyed that book a lot, thought it was an interesting change in direction for the series. Not all of the powers are against Arthur -- and he is now being seen as a power himself.

I also enjoyed the ships/sea setting. And pirates are always fun to read about.

The ending gave me chills up and down my back!!!

Sir Thursday is going to be great!!!!! ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Garth Nix
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:27 pm 
Lady Scryer

I started reading the new Garth Nix anthology, Across the Wall, this morning. It takes its title from the first novella in the collection, a continuation of the story told in the Abhorsen trilogy.

I also got a chance to read the second and third stories. Nix is a good short story writer. The story called Charlie Rabbit, about two little brothers caught up in a war, brought tears to my eyes. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Across the Wall
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:44 am 
Master Pilot

That book should be arriving from Amazon tomorrow. "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next