Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wraeththu series by Storm Constantine
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:20 am 
Pilot

In an alternate reality, something has happened to humanity. Nuclear war,pollution, degradation...and amid the waste a new mysterious terrific mutation:the Wraeththu. Pell has heard terrible things about them, but he doubts they'll come to his farm to take him away.
Then, the unknown arrives, a traveler:"I am Cal", he says.
So begins one of the most original, intriguing and fascinating fantasy series of all-times. Humanity evolves in the Wraeththu race, hermaphroditic beings of intriguing beauty, some cruel and savage, some enlightened and righteous. Storm Constantine unravel magnificently the history and the personalities of the main charachters (Pell the innocent whose inception has been pre-ordained by higher powers, Cal the har whit a past,fascinating trickster whit which everyone falls in love, Cobweb the strange intriguing sorcerous beauty married to the tyrant Terzian,Swift their ambiguous son) while describing the evolution of Wraeththu society from caos to civilization. Uncannily magic, the story revolves essentially around the love of Calanthe and Pell, separated dramatically to fulfill the plans of the shamanic Thiede.Cal shall return to Pell, after an initiatic voyage that will bring him in contact whit many Wraeththu tribes whose bizarre and diverse costumes and cities Storm describes whit the skill of a Jack Vance.Fantastic that his story is, there is in some moments an uncannily resemblance to recent

history. The Hegemony of Immanion debating whether the righteous Gelaming should attack the cruel Varrs will ring some bell...
In conclusion, this is one of the best literary achievement of the fantastic genre. It is at the same level of Asimov's Foundation (and the skirmish between Pellaz and Ashmael and the political debates have some Asimovian flavor), Tolkien's Lord of The Ring (the evil Ponclast's city Fulminir recalls vaguely Mordor, The Gelaming recall the High Elves) and Clive Barker's Imajica (where there is an androgyne tribe, the Eurhetemec, and their mystif Pie oh-Pah seems a Nahir-Nuri Wraeththu)
Read it, it's worth it!
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Wraeththu series by Storm Constantine
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:48 am 
Lady Scryer

That does sound very intriguing. I will have to see if I can find the books. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Wraeththu series by Storm Constantine
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:29 am 
Master Pilot

I bought Wraeththu, which I gather is a collection of three short novels, because I really like the cover. LOL! I started reading it, but have only gotten about 50-ish pages into it so far. (I was too excited when I got my replacement copy of Neverness to read anything else.) Anyway, it's definitely different. Pretty cool so far! ____________
Highdrake's mastery of spells and sorcery was not much greater than his pupil's, but he had clear in his mind the idea of something very much greater, the wholeness of knowledge. And that made him a mage.<i></i>