Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Riddlemaster Trilogy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:41 am 
Master Pilot

Well I've been really on and off in starting The Riddle-Master of Hed, but I just met Xel so I think I'm hooked! *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Riddlemaster Trilogy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:38 pm 
Master Pilot

I'm in love with these book already! Just finished Riddle-Master of Hed and, I guess Heir of Sea and Fire is the second? Riddle-Master was sort of an odd cross between TCTC and The Earthsea books. I love the very Zen "mind-work" sessions--makes me want to start meditating again--I think Highdrake would really enjoy these books too. I have more to say but think I need to go out and find the second book and start reading that before I can do anything else! *****

Post subject: Autographed copy!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:03 pm 
Master Pilot

copy of my post at KW! (you guys have already heard part of second part tho...)

God I'm a lucky so and so! Not only do I find an autographed Ray Bradbury book at a yard sale - but 1st my wife finds me an autographed The Illearth War at the local used bookstore and yesterday I find an autographed Patricia A. McKillip book there too!!!!

So I'm now reading the 2nd book in The Quest of the Riddle-Master trilogy by McKillip called Heir of Sea and Fire (my autographed copy!)which is incredibly engaging: sorta like light Donaldson crossed with Le Guin's Earthsea with dashes of GRR Martin thrown in. I also bought the 3rd book called Harpist in the Wind which is dedicated to Stephen R. Donaldson as The One Tree is dedicated to McKillip. They were working on their trilogies at the same time, back in the late '70s for Del Rey (Sweet did both of their cover-work) and kept each other going through a series of phone calls.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/4/04 5:39 pm
</i>

Post subject: Re: Patricia A. McKillip
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:49 pm 
Master Pilot

FYI. At this years Wiscon www.sf3.org/wiscon/ Patricia A McKillip will be a GOH. According to note I received from the con, she currently lives in North Bend, Oregon, her father was in the USAF and she lived in England and Germany while growing up. She has been a writer since she was fourteen. She has a Master's degree in English Literature from San Jose State University. Her first novel was published in 1973, and she at one time thought she might become a concert pianist.

Another web site for information about Ms. McKillip www.evan.org/McKillip.html taraswizard
Allan Rosewarne N9SQT/WDX6HQV
Chicago area
W/T forever, always
Plan C - http://planc.bravepages.com/main.html<i>Edited by: taraswizard at: 3/4/04 11:52 am
</i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:32 pm 
Master Pilot

Just finished Heir and ready to take on the final book, Harpist in the Wind. Spotty in some places but still a very good set-up book. The kinda book that fleshes out the realm, hints at important history and make you want to finish quickly cause you know the final book is going to be great. McKillup does a very good job of developing Raederle's character and makes you want more. Many strange comings and goings. Where is her father and where is the Morgul? All roads appear to lead to Lungold and I'm ready to journey forth! *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/10/04 1:45 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:56 pm 
Master Pilot

The intertwining plots in the Riddlemaster trilogy can be a bit hard to figure out. It gets you really thinking about what must be going on and where is the High One in all this. The ending of the trilogy is well worth all the suspense and build-up, though. It's worthwhile to give this series a re-read, too, as you understand a lot more of what is going on the second and third time, too.

~MsMary~ "Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"<i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:49 am 
Lady Scryer

Oh yes, Every little detail is intertwined with everything else. These are short books, but very well written, little masterpieces. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:04 pm 
Master Pilot

I am over 200 pages into the final book and I'M CONFUSED AS HECK!!! Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely in love with the trilogy and McKillip's style and use of language is beyond brilliant. But I can't figure out exactly what in the world happened at Lungold and I'll be damned if I can tell my Deth from my Yrth from the High One.

Oh well I guess I am deep amidst the "Riddle Game"...on to Ymir! *****
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 3/24/04 7:54 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:33 pm 
Master Pilot

All done! Amazing--this is required reading for anyone who has ever read fantasy! : *****

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

Yes, they are wonderful. I have been trying to get Fist to read them. I think he would really like them.

I recently picked up her latest book, The Alphabet of Thorn, hope to read it very soon. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:12 pm 
Master Pilot

Incredibly naturalistic and the "bindings" are somewhat similar to Le Guin. In no way a ripoff of Le Guin but some very interesting parallels. Fist would love them and we should start thinking of an Earthsea/Realm comparison thread. *****

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:48 am 
Lady Scryer

Alphabet of Thorn
Quote:One of the most spectactular fantacists of our time, Patricia A. McKillip creates fairy tale worlds of wonder and magic. Now, she opens the page on a time and place where an orphan girl is haunted by thorns...a reluctant queen rules between sea and sky...and epics never end...

Quote:Deep inside a palace on the edge of the world, the orphan Nepenthe pores over books in the royal library, translating their languages and learning their secrets. Now sixteen, she knows litttle of the outside world - except for the documents that traders and travelers bring her to interpret. Then, during the coronation of the new Queen of Raine, a young mage gives Nepenthe a book that has defied translation. Written in a language of thorns, it speaks to Nepenthe's soul - and becomes her secret obsession. And, as the words escape the brambles and reveal themselves, Nepenthe finds her destiny entwined with that of the young queen's. Sooner than she thinks, she will have to choose between the life she has led and the life she was born to lead... ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:20 pm 
Master Pilot

Nepenthe-interesting choice of name: A drug mentioned in the Odyssey as a remedy for grief. 2. Something that induces forgetfulness of sorrow or eases pain. I have even been to the beautiful restaurant Nepenthe overlooking Big Sur on the California coast. I shall be looking for this book along The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. Are these beasts unicorns or something else? *****

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:42 pm 
Lady Scryer

The beasts are of various kinds.
The theme of that book is emotional obsession...I haven't read it in years, but remeber it as being a good and worthy read.

Here are a couple of reviews of Forgotten Beasts for you:

Amazon.com
Almost destroyed because of a man's fear and greed, Sybel, a beautiful young sorceress, embarks on a quest for revenge that proves equally destructive. Winner of the World Fantasy award, this exquisitely written story has something for almost every reader: adventure, romance and a resonant mythology that reveals powerful truths about human nature. Locus praised it for its "marvelous heroine... and chilling sorcery" and The New York Times called it "rich and regal."

Synopsis
Raised on Eld mountain with only her father's magical menagerie for company, a young wizard is drawn irrevocably into the human world with all its sorrows and delights when a baby comes into her care.

Ingram
After the death of her wizard father, sixteen-year-old Sybel's only friends are part of a magical menagerie--a dragon, black swan, lion, falcon, and boar--until a infant child is put into her charge. Reprint. Winner of the World Fantasy Award. PW.

<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:17 am 
Lady Scryer

McKillip actually has two fairly recent books out, which is unusual for her, as she is not a particularly prolific writer. I saw in an interview that she received the inspiration for the second of the two, her latest book, Alphabet of Thorn, while writing the one that was published not too long before it, In the Forests of Serre.

In the Forests of Serre:

Quote:In the tales of World Fantasy Award-winning author Patricia K. McKillip, nothing is ever as it seems. A mirror is never just a mirror, a forest is never just a forest. Here, it is a place where a witch can hide in her house of bones and a prince can bargain with his heart...where good and evil entwine and wear each others' faces...and where a bird with feathers of fire can quench the fiercest longing...

Quote:Returning from war astride his horse, Prince Ronan of Serre accidentally tramples a white hen in the road - and his inattention earn's him a witch's curse. It seems not much of a threat, though, to a man so shattered by grief that his life is worth nothing to him. What curse is worse than already having lost your wife and child? But the witch's words come to pass when Ronan's homecoming is ruined by his father's pronouncement of an arranged marriage. Numbed by shock and despair, Ronan casts his gaze toward the forest and glimpses a wondrous sight: a firebird perched on a nearby branch. Filled with unexpected yearning, Ronan follows the firebird - and slips into a sideways world where the palace no longer exists. But his intended, the beautiful Princess Sidonie, is on her way to that palace. And her fate depends on Ronan wanting to find his way home... ******************************************************

<i></i>