[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - R. Scott Bakker (only minor spoilers, please)

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: R. Scott Bakker (only minor spoilers, please)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:16 am 
Blood Tea Chugger

I was so let-down by T-cubed that I swore I'd never read Bakker again. I really wish I didn't just read that review....

Danlo felt the growling emptiness of his belly and the terrible screaming hunger of every cell of his body. He remembered a word, then, waashkelay, which meant simply "meat hunger." He realized that on some deep level, the grains and pulses and other vegetable foods that he had eaten for so many years had never truly satisfied him. Always, buried in the tissues of his heart and belly, there had burned a deep desire to consume the meat of another animal and to taste the marvelous tang of blood once more. War in Heaven, p. 387.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:24 pm 
Lady Scryer

I have edited this post a lot as I have finished the book. I hope it still makes sense at this point in time! :?

So far I am enjoying TJE, though it is clear it is a set up book for the next two in the series. Since I am so tired from a medical condition right now, I will probably have to reread it soon to make sure I pick on stuff I know I am missing in whole or part once I do finish it (I am about halfway done right now). note: Actually, I have finished the book. :)

Bakker is an amazingly good writer. Near the beginning there is what seems to be a fairly ordinary scene of a little boy watching a beetle scuttling around in a temple. Little boys like to watch animals so the scene is well and good and realistic and even a bit mundane; but then he transforms the scene in a way that you suddenly realize that is no normal little boy (to say the least), and your entire understanding of this character hugely changes.

I have a lot to say about what is implied about Esmi as well, but I want to think about it a bit more. I might even have to go back and read her scenes in the first trilogy.

edited to add:

here are some of my thoughts on Esmi and TJE - major spoilers, so I am blacking them out:

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:09 pm 
The Timekeeper

Bumping this, and not looking at spoilers, as Av and I are reading The Darkness That Comes Before. Av is, obviously, reading this much faster than I-I'm 60 pages in and really getting off on this book, so far. Bakker comes up with some astounding passages an imagery...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:15 pm 
The UnTitled

Well, I've read the Prince of Nothing series before, but I'm not reading the above post, because it seems to be about The Judging Eye, which is the next series.

--A

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:35 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:42 pm 
The UnTitled

That's fine. We can still talk about PoN here. :D

--A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:40 pm 
Lady Scryer

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:52 pm 
The Timekeeper

At, about, pg. 170 in TDTCB Stage is getting set fast and furious--I really wonder about this Emperor dude... :?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:50 pm 
The UnTitled

Only got a few pages to go in TDtCB. Since I don't wanna spoil anything, I'll just say that my favourite character is a toss-up between Drusas and the Scylvendi, Cnaiür or whatever.

Some very poignant moments with Esmenet too though.

--A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:19 pm 
The Timekeeper

I like Cnaiür already-and the eyeless guy, too weird...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:12 am 
The UnTitled

Bout 150 pages into The Warrior Prophet.

--A

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:28 pm 
The Timekeeper

Just bought Warrior Prophet still only 400 pages into TDTCB, slow the hell down Av!!!! :drool:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:34 pm 
The UnTitled

Ah, sorry man, I just finished The Thousandfold Thought.

I won't spoil anything you want to talk about, so post away. :D

(Really need to find the next series now...)

--A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

Only one book is out so far in the next trilogy.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:03 pm 
The UnTitled

So it's skipped ahead in time a bit?

As with the last time I read these, I still

Who the hell knows? :lol:

--A

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next