Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tamora Pierce -- Song of the Lioness series
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:06 pm 
Lady Scryer

These books caught my eye recently. Has anyone here read them? Are they good? They looked promising... Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it, so long as it was there.~Terry Pratchett<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Tamora Pierce -- Song of the Lioness series
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:44 am 
Pilot

Yea, I had a friend who read them and said they were good. They're on my reading list after the Earthsea series.
Also I heard the Immortals quartet by Tamora Pierce was good as well, but I haven't heard anything about her Circle of Magic quartet yet.
Tell how it is if you're reading it already. All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not whither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:31 pm 
Pilot

I read these for the first time when I was 10 or so. In the next two or three years, I read them many more times. Then very recently I bought them and read them again, and found them just as entertaining as I did then. They're great! The perfect thing for a 10 year old tomboy. Be still heart

Hold peace

There is also love in the world.<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:41 pm 
Lady Scryer

The Song of the Lioness would be perfect for a tomboy. Alanna, a teen aged girl is the main character. She and her brother are being sent off, he to become a knight, and she to study magic -- and they each want to learn what the other will be taught -- so they switch places...so little girls who would like fighting, martial arts, etc. could really really get into these books.

I recently read The Immortals quartet and I think girls who love animals would go mad for these books. The main character is a teen aged girl who can mind speak with all sorts of animals...and Alanna, from Song of the Lioness, and other characters from the first set of books make cameo appearances, too.

Pierce has two other series set in that same world, one of them featuring Alanna's daughter...haven't read those, though... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:32 pm 
Lady Scryer

Well, in the time since I read visited this old thread, I have read most of Pierce's work.

The story of Alanna the Lioness's daughter is told in the Trickster's duology. The girl is kidnapped to another country, where she enters the service of the trickster god. She becomes involved in all sorts of political machinations, and in a revolution against a corrupt royal dynasty. Lots of exploration of racism...

Another girl in Tortall wishes to train to be a Lady Knight in the quartet called Protector of the Small. Lady Kel is thought by her enemies to be big and ugly and worthless. Her skills are gained through hard work and determination, and she has no special gifts other than those, and a strong desire to help others. These four books contain some of Pierce's best writing, and I read them over and over again last winter when I was going through a very hard time in my life. They somehow kept me going and gave me hope.

Pierce also has two quartets of books about four young mages of unusual powers called Circle of Magic and The Circle Opens. Both are first rate. The four kids have become outcast due to birth, misfortune, or not fitting in due to their mage powers. They learn to be friends, powerful mages, and in the end to be teachers passing on their hard won knowledge to others. Pierce has a new novel about the four friends coming out later this fall. ******************************************************

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Tamora Pierce
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:25 am 
Lady Scryer

That new novel about the four young mages (adults now) is called Will of the Empress and was released fairly recently. ******************************************************

<i></i>