Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lois McMaster Bujold -- The Hallowed Hunt
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:50 pm 
Lady Scryer

Lois McMaster Bujold is probably best known for her science fiction stories, space opera involving the noble Vorkosigan family of the planet Barrayar. Books in that series have won so many awards, its pretty amazing -- and some of them, like Mirror Dance are among the best science fiction books I have ever read.

In the last few years, Bujold has been moving into fantasy. She has a great talent for drawing conflicted and interesting characters, and I loved her two fantasy novels The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls. While set in the same country, and with the second featuring a minor character from the first, each can be read as in independent novel rather than as a series. (The same can be also be said for her science fiction books, as some of the Vorkosigan books do not need to be read in order, either).

She has a brand new fantasy book out now, called The Hallowed Hunt. Because Bujold wrote it, it went right to the top of the stack of things to be read.

Quote:
Prince Boleso is dead - slain by the noblewoman he had intended to defile.

Lord Ingrey kin Wolfcliff has been dispatched to the remote castle of the late, exiled, half-mad royal to transport the body to its burial place and the accused killer, the Lady Ijada, to judgement. Ingrey's mission is an ugly and delicate one, for the immanent death of the old Hallow King has placed the crown in play, and the murder of his youngest son threatens to further roil already treacherous political waters. But there is more here than a prince's degenerate lusts and the fatal retribution it engendered. Boleso's dark act, though unfinished, bestowed an unwanted, mystical "gift" upon proud, brave Ijada that must ultimately mean her doom - a curse similar to the one with which Ingrey himself has been burderned since boyhood.

A forbidden spirit now inhabits the soul of Ijada, giving her senses she never wished for and an obligation no one sane would desire. At once psychically linked to the remarkable lady and repelled by what she carries within, Ingrey fears the havoc his own inner beast could wreak while on their journey, as he fights a growing attraction...and an equally powerful compulsion to kill.

The road they travel together is beset with dangers - and though duty-bound to deliver Ijada to an almost certain execution, Ingrey soon realizes that she is the only one he dares trust. For a malevolent enemey with designs on a troubled kingdom holds Ingrey in his sway - and without Ijada's aid and love, the haunted lord will never be able to break free and realize the great and terrible destiny bestowed upon him by the gods, the damned, and the dead.

Bujold has won more Hugos for best novel than any other living author, tied for most ever given with Heinlein. She has also won Nebula awards, among many others.

www.dendarii.com is Bujold's official website

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Lois McMaster Bujold -- The Hallowed Hunt
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 pm 
Lady Scryer

I am nearly done with The Hallowed Hunt and am enjoying it greatly.

It takes place in the same world as her other fantasy novels, The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls. though in another country. Like its predecessors, it can be read as a complete stand-alone.

Bujold's fantasy is not for people who want lots of action or adventure in a story. This one, like her other fantasy stories, are about the growth in people's hearts, minds, and souls. It is very good, though, for people who like such quiet, thoughtful, character driven stories.

This one deals with people who are possessed with the souls of animals. Since the religion of that world involves quite a bit of possession (by demons or Gods), this puts these particular people at risk from the religious hierarchy of the temples. There is also a lot of jockeying for the Hallowed Throne... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>