Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Terry Brooks - Shannara!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:53 pm 
Pilot

Hey, it's some time ago that i read the shannara series of Terry Brooks. He also got a complete other series (about Ben Holiday) which are very good. Now they have some new books that continue the Shannara series and i'm really excited!!! Terry Brooks writes very good and I really enjoy it :p

Does anyone know this guy? Must be!
Why is there no seperate forum of him

I've almost read every book of him so if u searching moderators.... <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Terry Brooks - Shannara!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:58 pm 
Master Pilot

Terry Brooks gets, kinda, mixed reviews around here. So we've been sorta shy, to use the right wording, to feature him. I enjoyed the Sword of Shannara, and actually wanted to name my first born son Balinor, despite many claims it was a blatant rippoff of Tolkien. I tried to read the second and third book and couldn't finish them...my interest went straight down the tubes. I have heard some good stuff about the Jerle part of the series though.

The series that really destroyed any futher interest in Brooks, for me, was The Night of the Realm books. I absolutely loved Running With the Demon, then the second book went downhill fast and the third, Angelfire East is probably one of the worst books I have ever read.

But you're right Metadron no complete Fantasy discussion would be complete w/o Brooks. Prehaps his books translate well, in any case. (sorry, don't get your hopes up for an independant forum ) *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject: Re: Terry Brooks - Shannara
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:17 am 
Pilot

Couldn't ever contemplate rereading the Shannara series. Too slow, too much like so much else...and did I mention too slow?

On the other hand, The Magic Kingdom of Landover series is a great read. (Way more fantasy authors should stick their tongues firmly in their cheeks and just have a little fun.)

Adios
Rockin' & in The Land of Oz
<i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:42 pm 
Lady Scryer

The Landover books ARE fun. They are about a widowed lawyer who buys a magical kingdom from a catalog...and his adventures and misadventures when he goes there. ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:08 pm 
Pilot

I don't value Shannara very high. It's better than Eddings but it's still very derivative and only very occasionally shows faint flashes of someting better.

I think Running with the Demon was a genuinely good book with one of the scariest villains ever, but A Knight of the Word just went uninterestingly from the boring beginning to the predictable end. I actually think despite the plot going nowhere fast and all that Angel Fire East was a very slight improvement over the second book since I think Angel Fire East had at least a decent end fight if nothing else. <i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:46 am 
Pilot

Jup there u are right duchess, his landover books rock !
Running with the demon was also quite good. There is something about his writing style that makes his books very enjoyable (in my opinion)

I've never read the Lotr books and i not intend to do it either

That's maybe why I think his Shannara series is good while other people think they're less good. I enjoyed reading The heritage of Shannara and the voyage of the Jerle Shannara a lot <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:14 pm 
Pilot

You don't know what you're missing. If you like the pale shadow of Tolkien you should love the real stuff. <i></i>