[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Who is your favorite Pern dragon?

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Who is your favorite Pern dragon?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:40 pm 
Master Pilot

<b> Anne McCaffrey's wonderful Dragonrider books have a touch of sci-fi and fantasy. I am going to consider them fantasy because of the talking dragons (though the people first got to Pern in space ships). After arriving, the Dragonrider books really become fantasy. Soooooo, I'm asking for your favorite dragon and why you picked it. I hope enough people in this forum have read at least <i> The Dragonriders of Pern</i>. </b> MnementhCaylithRuthRamothCanthShow results Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Who is your favorite Pern dragon?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:25 pm 
Master Pilot

U kno King, u're giving me a bad case of skitzo w/ this McCaffery topic! Is she Sci-fi? Is she Fantasy? Ay yi!!!!--well I guess there's only 1 thing 2 do about it: ! Member's u can discuss Anne McCaffrey in depth on her thread in the Gen. Sci-Fi forum! How far do you fall Pilot?<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/8/02 9:34:28 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:59 am 
Master Pilot

It's a borderline call. They arrived by space ship, and I'd say that the first generation of Pernese people would be considered living in a sci-fi story. Then, there's this regression of the people away from modern ways of living, and in some cases almost primitive. There are "gatherings" that resemble medieval settings with bards and the like. There are talking dragons, and trade is bartered on the professions on the planet. The whole thing takes on a fantasy setting. Then, there's this rogue planet (if you will) that swings by every now and then (forget the time span), and "threads" that devour everything except rock and water. Kind of takes on the sci-fi elements again.
I used to think the books were more sci-fi, but I am leaning in the other direction now to fantasy.
Sorry about the schizophrenia. Just trying to develop some interest. Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/14/03 10:23 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:29 pm 
Pilot

Well, then, 2 votes so far for Ruth! I voted for her mainly because I couldn't remember the personalities of the others (it's been quite awhile since I picked up any of the books, and *years* since I read the first ones). <i></i>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:15 am 
Lady Scryer

I also vote for Ruth. He's cool. my sister, o my sister! There's the cause on 't. Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, Like diamonds we are cut with our own dust -- John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", first performed in England in 1614<i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:26 am 
Master Pilot

I voted for Canth. He's cool. <i></i>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:58 am 
Lady Scryer

Yes, Canth and F'Nor are also cool! Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:31 pm 
Master Pilot

4 Dragonemisis *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:12 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
:::guessing at one point there was a poll posted:::

I love Canth. His desire to fly Wirenth, despite being a brown going against bronzes, touched me to the core.

And, being the first to jump between to the Red Star! I don't think even Mnementh could have accomplished that based on what F'nor visualized to Canth.

But, in the overall series, I also choose Ruth. He and Jaxom make a perfect pair at all stages of their development.

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix