[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
Ahira's Hangar • View topic - Anne McCaffrey's Wonderful Dragons

Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Anne McCaffrey's Wonderful Dragons
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:42 pm 
Master Pilot

Wow, where to start? Is The Dragonriders series science fiction or fantasy? They arrived in spaceships to colonize a planet, and before we know it, we have talking dragons (admittedly telepathic) and a closeness to fantasy. What do you think, Sirs and Ma'ams? Arise now, Riders of Théoden!Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!Forth Eorlingas!<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Anne McCaffrey's Wonderful Dragons
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 11:03 pm 
Master Pilot

I don't kno much about the books, @ all but there is just as much call 4 them as G.R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice... Fall Far and Well Pilots!<i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 7/23/03 8:31 am
</i>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:18 pm 
Pilot

Yeah, this fantasy series *did* take a serious turn toward sci-fi a few books back, didn't it? The first, what, 8 or 10 books were all about the dragonriders charring thread, and suddenly, when I wasn't looking, they went to the Southern Continent and dug up a couple of spaceships and then AIVAS started telling them what to do.

My favorite scene, I think, in the whole series came in one of the most recent books (might have been the most recent -- I haven't exactly been keeping careful track of publication dates...), at a gathering, when F'lar is singing along with the crowd, very loud and blissfully out of tune, with everybody nearby shooting him murderous looks. Then later, when his girlfriend-to-be (can't remember her name, phooey!) asks him why he was singing, he grins and says, "Because I know all the words!" <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 6/13/02 12:39:17 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:29 am 
Master Pilot

Hmmm... I shall have to find that book. I need something new to read. <i></i>

Post subject: McCaffrey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:19 pm 
Pilot

I noticed that this topic died a very early death. Does that mean that there aren't any McCaffrey readers around here?

I'll admit her stories lack the depth of a lot of other well liked SF/Fantasy authors, but I find her immensely readable...and, if anything, her Doona, Crystal Singer & Tower and Hive series are better than her Pern books.

Adios
Rockin' & in The Land of Oz

<i></i>

Post subject: Re: McCaffrey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:30 pm 
Master Pilot

There's, actually antoher McCaffrey topic around her--we stated a forum on her once, but it didn't take off... *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:58 am 
"It is not death. It is purpose."

Location: The Harper Hall, Fort Hold, the Northern Continent, Pern
:::happy smile:::

I knew this topic had to be here somewhere...

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 4:30 pm 
Lady Scryer

And a very appropriate person to bump up this old thread. :)

Lately, McCaffrey has been releasing a trilogy based upon another older triology set on a sentient planet called Petaybee.

The original trilogy is called Powers That Be
and the book in it are called:
Powers That Be
Power Lines
Power Play

They tell the story about how a dying scientist retires to a back water world controlled by a huge galactic corporation, and how she discovers that the world itself is sentient.

The new trilogy is about the children of that scientist, and the trilogy is called The Twins of Petaybee.

So far two novels have been released and they are called:
Changelings
Maelstrom

All five of these books were co-written by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough.

I read the original trilogy, and enjoyed it, but have not read the new one yet (I am waiting for the third book to come out before reading it). :)

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:40 pm 

The world gets new-made every time you blink folks. Drop some of that baggage. ;)
~Avatar

When the Power of Love overcomes the love of power, the World will know Peace. ~Jimi Hendrix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:46 am 
Lady Scryer

Maybe I should start my fourteen year old on the Dragon Riders series as well. While there is some sex and violence, it is not super explicit or disturbing - they would probably be good reads for that age group. :)

I think he would really like Canth. :lol:

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:26 am 

~Avatar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:16 am 
The UnTitled

I've read very few of them I must say. I've tended to stick to her other story-lines, the Tower & Hive books and the Crystal Singers ones especially, with a little detour into the Ships and one or two others where I've read a book in the trilogy but none of the rest.

The one I liked the best was the prequel...uh...First Flight maybe? I'm sure if I actually got and read them in order I'd enjoy them more...the few ones I read were very disconnected to me.

The first thing of hers I ever read was an extract from an early Dragon-riders about the choosing and whatever. I'm pretty sure though that the next thing was Nerilka's Story & The Coelura which left a bad and confusing taste and put me off those particular books a bit. All The Weyrs of Pern was good though, and I enjoyed The Dolphineer of Pern.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:44 am 
Lady Scryer

I really liked her Crystal Singer books, and some of the Ships books (I thought that series was a bit uneven). The first one was great (The Ship Who Sang) and there was another one I really loved where the Ship and her Brawn were really into archaeology. Unfortunately, it has been a long time, and I am not sure what the title was? :?

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:46 am 
The UnTitled

Can't remember if I've even read it, let alone what it was. :D But yeah, I found the series uneven. Same as the dragonriders one, but maybe due to collaborating in the Ships case.

--A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:52 am 
Lady Scryer

I think someone posted a link to a free ebook version of that one Ship book that I really like over at the Watch once. If I ever run into it again, I will post the link, so that you can read it. :)

edited:
here you go

The books I like is The Ship Who Searched, and this link will give you the first seven of the nine chapters. :)

Image Image Image