Ahira's Hangar

David Zindell's Neverness, A Requiem for Homo Sapiens and all things Science Fiction and Fantasy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Charles de Lint
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:03 am 
Lady Scryer

Charles de Lint is a fantasy writer from Canada, who likes to take Native American and Celtic mythology and mix them up with the modern world in his books and sees what happens...
Quote:Charles deLint weaves the mythic traditions of many cultures into a seamless cloth, bringing folklore, music, and unforgettable characters to life on modern city streets.
One example of this is in Forests of the Heart, where he mixes both Irish and Native American spirits in the modern American Southwest

Some of his books include:
Dreams Underfoot
The Fair at Emain Macha
Greenmantle
Into the Green
The Ivory and the Horn
Jack of Kinrowan
The Little Country
Memory and Dream
Moonheart
Moonlight and Vines
Someplace to be Flying
Spiritwalk
Svaha
Trader
Yarrow
Forests of the Heart Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
****Tavern Wench of DOGMA, the Defenders of George Martin's Art****<i></i>

Post subject: Re: Charles de Lint
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:03 am 
Master Pilot

Hi, Duchess!
Never heard of him; just figured someone should say SOMETHING. Pay attention class! <i></i>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:05 pm 
Master Pilot

I've heard of him. He writes a lot of stuff for F&SF. ________________
I wanna feel the metamorphosis and cleansing I've endured within my shadow. Change is coming. Now is my time. Listen to my muscle memory. Contemplate what I've been clinging to. -Tool, "Forty-Six & Two" <i></i>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:08 pm 
Master Pilot

Chas. de Lint was the Guest of Honor at this year's Bubonicon (where SRD read from "Runes") and Chas. Vess was the Artist of Honor. In fact these guys have collaborated on a few books--short books, more like fables or children's books. I checked out one this weekend at Page One called A Circle of Cats. It's a very neat story of an orphan girl who runs in a woods full of strays and Vess' artwork is magnificent. Vess' works were on sale at the Con and what's really neat about them is that his wife writes a very cool little fantasy story about each one which is then adhered to the back. *****
Before, you are wise; after, you are wise. In between you are otherwise.
Fravashi saying (from the formularies of Osho the Fool) <i>Edited by: danlo60 at: 11/21/03 11:31 pm
</i>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:59 am 
Lady Scryer

Managed to track down A Circle of Cats, and loved it... ******************************************************

Our lives are the songs that sing the universe into existence.~David Zindell
<i></i>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:46 pm 
Pilot

If you liked Circle of Cats, you should probably check out Seven Wild Sisters, if you can find it. There is also the Medicine Road series that should be coming out soon. They share a few characters between these stories.

Of course, it's a bit hard to go wrong with de Lint.

-Neil
Clarkesworld Books<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:03 am 
Lady Scryer

I shall have to look for that book about the Seven Sisters then, too.
I have a couple of his novels people have given me, but haven't found the time to start them yet -- (this is a very busy time of year for me between the holidays and my sons' sporting seasons) -- but they look pretty interesting. One is set in New Mexico, so I would like to read that one before my trip out there next June. ******************************************************

<i></i>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:45 pm 
Lady Scryer

I am reading one of the first books he wrote, called The Riddle of the Wren. A young woman is haunted in her dreams by an evil dream master. From there she becomes involved in a quest that takes her from world to world to world while being stalked by servants of evil gods. One of the worlds where she goes is a deserted world with a huge city filled with crumbling sky scrapers...I kept thinking of one of our great cities if abandoned and left alone for a couple of hundred years... ******************************************************

<i></i>